8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 5:53 PM by oliver.young

How are people using "apps" ....and why?

steve_heine

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of jive having a market place. I also really like the idea of customizable dashboards. I'm just a little confused on where to start, and how to get user buy in.

I really don't understand the reasoning for giving users a place where they can only add content from the marketplace. Is anyone using this already, or can you explain a use case? And how did you're users know what to do?

There are a handful of practical usable widgets that can be placed on space homepages, and the global homepage, but right now can't be leveraged on an "Apps" tab. I don't understand where jive is going with this, are they planning on bridging the two? Has anyone started using this internally yet?

We weren't happy to hear that the "your view" feature was removed from jive during the upgrade to 5.0. We are told that nobody used it.

So I'm wondering, how people would use the "Apps" tabs.

Please share your experience if you've already started using these.

I think it would be useful if they took down the barrier between homepage widgets (which include opensocial gadgets), and the marketplace Apps tabs.

Also, it would be nice if we could pre-configure tabs (pre-loaded with specific gadgets) for users, so we can get people up and running with useful gadgets, and push them in the right direction of how to use "apps". Also the ability to share a tab, may be useful as well.

• Re: How are people using "apps" ....and why?

Hey Steve, I'm the product manager for the Jive Apps Market and I'll try to give you a bit of the Jive point of view here:

There are a handful of practical usable widgets that can be placed on space homepages, and the global homepage, but right now can't be leveraged on an "Apps" tab.

Many of these widgets have been replaced by the What Matters interface. Most popular content, for example, is replaced by trending content and people. The Activity Stream widget is the main What Matters: Activity interface, and so on. Some of the others, like the RSS widget and watch a tag will become Jive Apps as well. The biggest hurdle right now is simply the effort to turn these widgets into gadgets. There is no conceptual barrier between them, just a practical one.

Also, it would be nice if we could pre-configure tabs

This is a feature we are working on currently. It unfortunately did not make the cut for 5.0 but is something we will be filling in.

Also the ability to share a tab, may be useful as well.

Cool idea. Would the use case be something like: User A created a dashboard of configured apps relevant to a specific project or team, User B would like a copy of that same dashboard to start from? Would you expect changes to the dashboard by User A to update the dashboard User B uses?

We are also working on bringing apps to group pages, projects, spaces, and other more "public" locations which may also address the use case you have in mind here.

So I'm wondering, how people would use the "Apps" tabs.

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts here as well!

Thanks for the feedback, and please let me know if I can provide more color for you!

1 person found this helpful
              steve_heine

Thanks for your quick response Oliver. I guess at first I didn't understand what our sales people meant when they said the "what matters" interface replaced much of the "your view". Thats probably because one of the first things I did in the "your view" was customize it, and remove the default widgets.

Is there any plan to offer a widgetized or app version of the "what matters" interface? It would be nice to be able to have some of "what matters" interfaces share a page with other widgets that are commonly used.

Yes, I think your idea of my use case matches what I was implying. I'm not sure if I'd expect them to further modify the shared tab, I guess having the option of  a "common" tab thats locked down would be nice, but being able to start off with some useful apps, then customizing would be nice as well. I don't think it could hut to allow them to modify their copy of a tab, once someone has shared it with them

AmandaS

Hi Steve -

Given your comments above I thought you'd be interested in this fairly long thread that evolved about Your View.  I think it's interesting how it started and then how it sort of turned in Sept last year.  I think there are quite a few community managers and Jive administrators who are also interested in learning how companies are practically migrating from Your View to What Matters.  By "practically" I mean in the real world, with real users trying to continue to get their work done every day.  This isn't a one for one replacement, it's very different and I'm not sure how the social leaders who are migrating communities where power users or others are dependent on Your View are navigating this so far.  Like you, I'll also be very interested to hear more in this area over the coming months.

tmaurer

I think this is an especially apt discussion for those of us who upgraded to 4.5 rather quickly. Since the workflow in 4.5 directed people to set up Your View, and the Community Activity widget made it very compelling to do so, I would venture to guess that a larger population was using it than expected. I remember seeing everyone compare percentages of usage, but that was before we all upgraded. Might be a good gut check for us to all do it again so we can see what percentage of our populations will truly be disrupted (or at least need serious coaching).

The bummer for me is that I've been training people to use a formatted text widget to store information they need to reference - like things that are on sticky notes at your desk - because then they are portable. There are alternatives, but none are as quick and easy to reference as that is.

AmandaS

I would agree with Tracy that a lot of the “no one is using it” data was likely gathered before people had upgraded to 4.5.  That was certainly the case for us.  We upgraded from 2.5 to 4.5 in fall of last year and I’d say few if anyone was using Your View on 2.5 but we have many people who are very dependent on it now.

steve_heine

The other thing I've see from the earlier thread is that it looks like in many cases about 10%+- of users where using it. But very few people had it as their default page, which are two heavily different things. I would also venture to guess that the 10% were your power users.

I think with most systems, only a small % utilize most of the potential of the product, and I don't think there's much you can do to change that. I also don't think that's a bad thing.

I think I'd like to keep this thread back on track with how are people using "Apps" but I don't mind understanding how people also used "your view". And therefore, how would people hope to use "apps". As I'm still trying to get an understanding of the intention of Apps.

Is there any plan to offer a widgetized or app version of the "what matters" interface?

Hey Steve, this is not something we are considering at this point, however we are assessing ways to better integrate apps into What Matters, instead of going the other way around. My colleage Josh Richau looks after the What Matters interface and may have some more color for you.