5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 11:04 AM by Chrisbrenschmidt

Managing User Groups

Line6Miller

Any insight on how you guys manage user created groups? I'm especially interested in whether or not anyone deletes them due to inactivity?

• Managing User Groups

Do you mean "Jive" when you say "you guys" and are you referring to user-created groups here in the Jive Community? Or, are you asking this group's members about what they do? If the former, we tend to leave the groups alone, assuming they are not full of "testing" content.

• Re: Managing User Groups
              Line6Miller

Gia Lyons wrote:

Do you mean "Jive" when you say "you guys" and are you referring to user-created groups here in the Jive Community? Or, are you asking this group's members about what they do? If the former, we tend to leave the groups alone, assuming they are not full of "testing" content.

The question was for all external community managers in regards to how they handle user groups on their external communities. I'm thinking of adding some disclaimers that let our users know that we reserve the right to take down a group we deem has been inactive for a certain number of months perhaps. Of course, we'd email or PM the owner of the group before any actions would be taken.

sleslie2011

Hi Line6,

I'm actually working on a strategy around groups management right now. My last two companies actually deactivated the ability for users to just create groups. We found that internal teams were going around the launch process and just creating groups with no strategy in place (naming, content, goal, team, duplication considerations etc).

My current company sees groups as a very valuable tool for users. Its such a complicated topic- but to scratch the surface.

We think its important to delete groups which are old and have no activity. But to do so you have to put a process in place as you mentioned.

• Goups with no activity with the last 3 months - reach out to group owner and ask how they are doing etc and if you can help them re-energize their space. During that discussion you can determine if they found the group useful or if they want to delete it. (then determine where content and users would go).
                  • Groups with no activity in 6-12 months- look in there and see if there is some reason that there is no activity. Perhaps the group is around an annual event or something which would give context to your approach.
                  • Duplicate groups- reach out to group owners to determine why they have separate groups for the similar content and users. If possible sell them on merging to gain more activity and other benefits.

The real bonus here is to use all of this to put strategy for group usage in place along with launch, training and maintenance processes.

I still grapple with how to effectively position groups vs spaces with management and users. Some key pieces I consider are number of users, private content etc.

Hope this helps and if you want to have a phone conversation to brainstorm on this topic let me know. Perhaps we can give each other some new ideas.

1 person found this helpful
                      Line6Miller

Thanks for the very helpful and insightful response! We had also turned the Group feature off when we implemented Jive for fear that they would be used inappropriately etc. After a while I talked my director into taking a chance and turning them on. For the most part it's been very successful. Most groups are very active and need little moderation. The owners of the groups do a great job in keeping things focused etc. I think your strategy is spot on. Develop a process and communicate with the owners before taking any action by way of removing the group is the way to go. Consistency is key here I think as well.

Chrisbrenschmidt

We too didn't turn on groups initially, but we realized the usefulness as our community supports a professional society which is already composed of many groups. Allowing them to take face-to-face groups to our community has proven to be very successful.

Of course, now we are faced with a number of groups that are inactive. We are in the process of formulating a process to notify group owners and to delete the groups. Of course, our window of inactivity is going to be much longer.. .probably something like a year.

1 person found this helpful