6 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2007 12:31 PM by marqpdx

Project Management

Any plans for Milestones, Todo lists and other project management facilities (including the calendar mentioned in another thread)?

I don''t want "full" project management. Just specialized documents for creating and assigning todos and for creating and monitoring milestones.

Basecamp would be a good model of the type of simple project management objects that I (and I think millions of other groups) want as part of a collaboration platform. But Basecamp is a hosted service and I would really like to have it all in house on our own server.

It seems to me that in business a collaboration platform without simple project management will not succeed. I would be interested if other users agree or if they have applications that do not need a project management dimension.

Of course, one could assemble some sort of project management functions using standard documents and discussions. But it would be much more powerful if there were specialized todo lists with todo objects that had check boxes (and maybe even % complete bars). Equally, it would be good if there were milestone objects that had built-in properties that, for example, automatically sort them by date and change the color of overdue ones and so on.

Keith

• Re: Project Management

hi Keith,

All of these features are things we''ve tossed back and forth internally so they''re definitely on the radar.  Just out of curiosity, what do you use for project management right now? Basecamp? Sharepoint?

Cheers,

AJ

AJ

We have tried lots of collaborative platforms. SharePoint, IBM Workplace, several hosted services. None of them makes us feel like we want to live with them. The one we have used consistently over the last two years is Basecamp. It has the right mix of features and simplicity. However, there are a number of things we are not happy with:

1. We would prefer the server to be in house. 95% of our interaction with these services is in our one main location or people working from home via a VPN. So, it doesn''t make sense to wait for remote servers to respond or to upload files to a space just so the person in the next office can download it again!

2. Basecamp just isn''t powerful enough. Things like due dates on todos and heirarchical todos would be nice.

3. Basecamp isn''t as integrated with Office as we would like. Wouldn''t it be nice if we could define our users once to a directory and then have those users available to be added to the collaboration server without having to type in their name and email address again! Wouldn''t it be nice to have our todos show up in Outlook for those who want to use it as their time managment system?

4. Basecamp doesn''t have a full, WYSIWYG rich text wiki like you do.

I had my fingers crossed that Clearspace would give us an on-site option. But I''m thinking that it will be some time before you have project management to match Basecamp.

We are currently starting yet another trial (our third) of SharePoint (07) with Office 2007 to see if it feels better than it did a year ago.

We may keep Wildfire as an on premise IM server. But, unless you tell me I am missing something, I think we should close down our Clearspace trial and keep an eye on the blogs to see if another trial would be good in maybe a year?

Thanks, Keith

erskine

Hey Keith,

I manage the Jive Software Professional Services group. We also use BaseCamp for project management, but Clearspace for everything else. Let me just say that I share your pain. We are trying to develop a strategy now for building out these features. It may take the form of a partnership with a client who would be willing to subsidize the effort in exchange for direct input on how the features should work, or we may build it piecemeal as our free time permits. Although these days we''ve been staying pretty busy so I''m not sure we could do it outside of the scope of an engagement with a client. Let me know if either of these approaches would be of interest to you. Professional Services projects that are of strategic value in terms of core product development are eligible for a 50% discount.

Cheers,

Erskine

Erskine ,

Here is another option, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ehour.  It is a jsp site that is being written as an open source project.  It runs on tomcat, but I have gotten it to run on jetty.  If you were to work with the developer on this, it might make the process a whole lot quicker and if you can keep with the developer''s vision of simplicity, it would meet a need that I have.

Even better would be a way to store tasks from Spark into the project management system hosted by clearspace.  Being able to IM work done on a project from Spark would also be huge.

Reuben

Message was edited by: reuben.brown

erskine

I had actually started on a plug-in for Spark for time tracking. I got as far as getting it to retrieve a list of projects assigned to the logged-in user. The next step was to add the time tracking bit. We''re having an integration/plug-in day at the end of March, so I''ll forward along the ehour project and see if we can''t come up with something. Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,

Erskine

Hi All,

A couple months later, but this topic is very important to me.

I just started using Tracks, a Ruby/Rails project. Very nice. Fast, easy to use, simply architecture. I think this would be a good model to look at. It has Actions (Tasks), Projects and Contexts, and that''s about it.

To me, when i''m PM''ing a project, whether formally or de facto for an internal project, i think often in terms of actions: Alex does the build scripts and the tomcat setup; Janis configs all the UI.... whatever. If Clearspace had that as part of spaces, it would be incredibly valuable to us, and many of the clients we work with.

Thanks,

m