1 Reply Latest reply on May 1, 2007 12:33 PM by ajohnson1200

usability issue: changing permissions causes jump to top of page

When I''m logged in as admin and editing permissions (Spaces > Permissions > Space Permissions), whenever I check to change a permission I''m brought back to the top of the screen.  This doesn''t matter a bit when I''m editing the Anyone or Registered Users permissions, since they''re far enough up the page that I don''t have to scroll down to reach them. 

However, when I''m editing my Groups permissions, which I have to scroll down for, my workflow looks like this:

Scroll down.

Click the permissions box.

Scroll down again.

Click another permissions box.

Scroll down again.

Click another permissions box.

(repeat 20 times...)

I''m guessing this because you''re popping that AJAXy ''Permissions updated successfully'' message every time a box is checked -- but you don''t need to do that, because you''ve already got a ''Save Changes'' button at the bottom of the screen.  I don''t know whether changes are saved every time a box is checked (and hence the AJAXy message to indicate a successful update, but then why the ''Save Changes'' button?) or if they''re only changed when ''Save Changes'' is pressed (in which case why the AJAXy message?), but you only need one or the other.

I''d recommend getting rid of the AJAXy message (or stopping it from bouncing you back to the top of the screen, which is probably harder) so I can click-click-click rapidfire to change group permissions without having to scroll down more than once.  This one''s internal, not external-facing, but trust me, it leaves you in a bad mood after editing a lot of permissions -- if the change is trivial, I''d love to see it.