3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2007 4:34 PM by rdellimmagine

Question about large number of groups

rdellimmagine

My company has about 100 regional user groups (e.g. a Portland user group for customers who live near Portland, a Seattle user group, etc.) that meet physically once a quarter.  For each user group, I want to create a space where each user group can share meeting minutes, announce upcoming meetings, share documents, etc. via Clearspace X.  We want to enable the user group members to connect with each other online in between meetings. 

Typically, a user would be interested in only the one user group that is geographically nearest to him.  So I don''t want to clutter up the user interface by displaying 100 spaces (one for each user group), or a single space with 100 subspaces in it.

My proposed solution is to make the user group spaces into private spaces that users can only see if they are members.  Then the user joins one group, and only that one user group shows up when he logs into the community.

Questions:

1. Is this the best practice?

2. If so, I''m assuming I should set up a Clearspace group for each of these subspaces, where only members of a group can see that group''s subspace.  Correct?

3. How can I then allow users to self-register for one or a small number of user group subspaces (i.e. join the group associated with each user group)?  Should I add a field to the user profile that says "Select the user group(s) that you would like to join"?  How do I write the logic to implement it?  Is that a plug-in or is there another mechanism?

4. If I do this, how do I make it clear that selecting a user group in my profile adds me to a user group space?  This is in contrast to other fields in the profile, for example "industry", that just reflect demographic information about me (but don''t add me to an industry space).  Or should I present this user group add/remove functionality somewhere else?  What do you recommend?

Sorry for the complex multi-part question, but we''re looking forward to some interesting use-cases for Clearspace X.

Thanks, Robert

• Re: Question about large number of groups

hi Robert,

My proposed solution is to make the user group spaces

into private spaces that users can only see if they

are members.  Then the user joins one group, and only

that one user group shows up when he logs into the

community.

Sounds like the way I''d do it as well.

1. Is this the best practice?

Not sure that anyone has tried to do specifically what you''re doing yet but it looks good to me.

2. If so, I''m assuming I should set up a Clearspace

group for each of these subspaces, where only members

of a group can see that group''s subspace.  Correct?

Exactly.

3. How can I then allow users to self-register for

one or a small number of user group subspaces (i.e.

join the group associated with each user group)?

Should I add a field to the user profile that says

"Select the user group(s) that you would like to

join"?  How do I write the logic to implement it?

That''s sounds about right. Maybe a combination of creating a theme and changing the homepage so that it doesn''t display all the spaces but instead just displays the spaces that the current user has chosen. To do this, I would override the create account account and the edit profile action, adding the ability to select one or more spaces on each of those forms and then maybe stick the resulting space ID''s into a user property.

If I do this, how do I make it clear that selecting

a user group in my profile adds me to a user group

space?  This is in contrast to other fields in the

profile, for example "industry", that just reflect

demographic information about me (but don''t add me

to an industry space).  Or should I present this

user group add/remove functionality somewhere else?

What do you recommend?

I''d create a multi-select box and ask the user to choose which spaces they want to participate in on both the create account form and the edit profile form (which would give them the ability to change the space(s) that they wanted to participate in at a later time).

Cheers,

AJ

Hello Robert,

We have a similar use case. Our users would like to choose space(s) that they would like to be part of at registration.

How did you resolve the issue?

Dan.

rdellimmagine

Dan,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

We decided to take a different approach and are implementing "My Favorite Communities" -- we''re actually working with Jive professional services on it, so we''re hoping it will be rolled into a future product release.  Anyway, registered users can create a list of their favorite communities and they can edit their favorites list, and they can also view the entire list of all communities.  Guests can only view the entire list of communities.

This is better than what I proposed above, because we''re not changing Jive''s model of how communities work -- we''re just adding a favorites list.  So it''s a lot easier to implement.  And it''s also simpler for users and our community administrators to use and understand.

Hope this helps.