6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2007 1:55 AM by it2000

File Repo

It would be nice to have a file repository where we could post files and then have Clearspace list the files...rather than having to attach files to a document.

We have some common folders on a server, but it would be nice if our users could just access a common "folder" using the Clearspace interface. Thanks!

~Ashley

• Re: File Repo

hi Ashley,

Sounds like you''re looking for really good WebDAV integration. We did ship a beta WebDAV plugin with the source build that you can play around with, but it only allows users to read documents, it doesn''t allow users to post documents through a Windows Explorer-like interface.

Another option might be to run the Clearspace folder import. You can have Clearspace read files off your file system into itself as a batch process. Go to the Admin Console --> Communities / Spaces --> Management --> Choose the community / space you want to import content into --> Import Documents. 

Cheers,

AJ

I guess I wasn''t thinking in terms of documents. Our common folders have files such as common programs we all use around the office and things like that. Very few of them have documents themselves. We also have a few images folders which would be nice to have a repo for.

Thanks for the info though AJ!

~Ashley

Both the WebDAV plugin and the import documents task I mentioned support images and (I think) most other file types as well.

Cheers,

AJ

I looked at the WebDAV plugin an it seems more of a collaboration utility, which is not what we are looking for.

I was hoping for an area to upload files (programs, etc.) that users would be able to access, receive a directory listing of files in this area, and download only. I mean, we could create a space, then make a document for every programs release and attach the program to that document, but that seems like too many steps. A user would have to first visit the space, view the document, then download. It would be nice if they could view the space, directly download the program. Thanks!

I was hoping for an area to upload files (programs, etc.) that users would be able to access, receive a directory listing of files in this area, and download only.

May not be the most elegant solution, but you could create a document with a bunch of attachments and then have links to those attachments right in the document, listed / grouped in whatever order you prefer.

Cheers,

AJ

it2000

Hi Ashley,

this sounds a lot like Oracle''s CMSDK (iFS) which allows to access files either through SMB (Windows network shares), NFS (Unix Network File System), FTP or HTTP. I''m not sure if you really want to have a copy of the files in Clearspace as this may increase the backup volume a lot.

I could think of a plugin or feature within Clearspace which allows to specify a local (O:\software/ or /opt/software/) folder or a remote SMB or NFS server. CS should display all files and sub folders as a directory listing and allow to upload new files. While this sounds pretty easy I know that it''s not as one needs to check the permissions, maybe one should be able to select which files (instead of all) get published and who''s able to upload new files.

LG