21 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2008 3:20 AM by Ralf

New Feature Idea:  Setting a Wiki document as a space overview page

rboutin

I''d like to have the option of setting a document (wiki) as the primary page for a space (vs blog) and have it presented to users under the Overview tab of a designated space.

-randy

• Re: New Feature Idea:  Setting a Wiki document as a space overview page

Hey Randy,

The beauty of our product is the amount of customization that can be done. In order to accomplish your task, you would need to edit the community.ftl file which does the layout for the space overview pages.  You should be editing in the area between the "<!-- BEGIN overview content >" and <! END overview content -->" tags.

Cheers,

Will

This is the feature that we are also looking for.  We have a number of products and want to create for each product a space.  The start page of the space should not be a list of all documents, but should be a fixed structure under which then a number of docs can be linked.

We are thus looking to have a sort of ''static html'' page for each of the products with as fixed items:

- product demo

- release notes

- feature requests

- defects

- requirements

etc.

We see this page as the starting point to jump to other pages.  As you can do in products like MediaWiki.

Is this possible ?

Ryan Rutan

This may be some what late in the mix, but I am working on proof of concept for ClearSpaceX and this was a feature that we wanted.  It is relatively simple to implement, so I thought I would share it out.

Steps to Solution:

1.)  Any Community wanting to add a custom Wiki Landing Page, puts a property in the Extended Properties of the community called "wikiHomePage".  The value is the subject of the Document in that community that you want to be added as the Landing Page.

2.)  Create an Interceptor that changes the Default Tab if the community has a wikiHomePage property

3.)  On the community.ftl, I check to the community properties.  If this property does not exist, I display the normal 4 tabs, (Overview, All Content, Discussions, Documents, and Blog Posts).

If the property exists, I add an additional tab at the beginning called "Community Page", such as this..

Instead of rendering the normal container....I use the Document Manager to reference the document in the "current Community" with the name of the "Property".

&lt;#if (community.getProperties().containsKey('wikiHomePage') && view == 'homepage')&gt;                      &lt;#assign document = jiveContext.documentManager.getDocument(community,community.getProperties().get('wikiHomePage')?string) /&gt;

${document.getBody()}

&lt;/#if&gt;

<div class="jive-wiki-body">Once I obtain the document reference, I simply output the getBody() method.

</div>

Value:

For Communities, that want to provide a landing page, they can create a privately editable, publicly visible Wiki document that represents their landing

page content.  Some Communities may want this functionality, other's may not...

Other features not yet programmed....

- If property exists for the community, have a link in the Action menu that says ("edit Community Page") for people with the appropriate permissions.

- Hide the Wiki document that is the Home Page from search results (except for those able to edit the document)

Hopefully this will help someone trying to do this on their own...but I'm hoping that Jive has a more elegant solution with features available soon...=)

Hey guys,

I wanted to add my vote for this feature. (Is there a jira issue I can vote on?). Coming from Confluence (which we love), I must say that one of the biggest let downs in CS is not having the ability to work in a more wiki-like environment. I think Clearspace is headed in the right direction and has many qualities that will outshine Confluence, but the one thing that Confluence does exceedingly well is focusing on making authoring and linking of content utterly painless. It seems to me that if you could edit a 'space' like you could edit a 'page' (document), you would have addressed a big chunk of my issues.

Anyway, I am happy to offer any insight into realworld use-cases in either Confluence/Clearspace if you want to ping me off-chan.

Thanks.

Magpie

To me Clearspace offers an interesting shift/evolution/combination for Wiki based authoring. A significant influence appears to come from discussions/forums where the current content is brought to the top. In this way content always appears to be changing, this is likely to contribute heavily to engagement and relevance.

The other area that Clearspace appears to be trying to help is the organization of content. There are some article & threads about sub-spaces & tag groups that go some way to how this aspect can be tackled.

Reflecting on Wiki's and the landing page issue, there are probably two aspects that are driving this need: (1) Introduction/Explanation, (2) Organization & Navigation. I agree with all usability/ease of use comments as well.

Whilst a space does have a toggle description this is not granular or rich enough to fulfil the Introduction/Explanation need. I'd suggest another tab for more detail that can be authored using the WYSIWYG editor. The simple description of a space is fine and provides a precis/bridge between the name of the space and this proposed detailed description of the space.

I suppose there is temptation/flexibility to use this as the landing page, indeed it should be configurable as the default tab. The current overview tab follows the excellent Clearspace 'what's new ' and churn paradigm.

In regard to Wiki style navigation support, the case IMHO is weaker. The downside is that you need to maintain the top level manually. I've proposed on the Enhancing the Prominence & Use of Tag Groups  discussion a way to make more seamless use of Tag Groups. I'm personally experimenting with using 'organising level' spaces i.e. a space that only aggregates blogs as a way to help organize content in a hierarchical structure. I'm using Tag Groups to avoid silo's.

This may not fully address what can be achieved by Wiki's, but I think it worth trying to see how Clearspace can be used/persuaded to evolve so that we can enjoy the additional paradigms and find ways to solve Wiki issues.

nick

I love all the discussion that is going around about this topic! I wanted to attach a wireframe that will help everyone visualize what we are planning on doing (described in my earlier post). Please note that this wireframe is by no means the final solution, and we do not have a timeframe yet for when this will be completed. I am attaching it here to get feedback before we build the feature, and to continue the discussion about setting a wiki document as the space overview page. Any feedback on the attached wireframe is more than welcome!

Thanks everyone for your very well thought out ideas.

Nick

Message was edited by: nick

Page 2 is the primary page of interest.

Some more thoughts. Interesting wireframe. Really appreciate you sharing it with us. Let me take another stab at articulating a more fundamental observation. Here's my scenario. I am using CS to organize various collaboration groups. Let's call the parent space for all these groups, "PROJECTS". Under the PROJECTS space, I want to create content for many projects. The thing to bear in mind about projects is that they come and go. The nature of agile collaboration means that sometimes, we see a lot of churn. I want to empower lots of people to be-able to create projects 'pages' and administer them.

Back to our PROJECTS space. I want to be able to create a document (wiki) that tells people more about the nature of "Projects". It seems to me that there ought to be a 'home' PROJECTS page that automatically gets linked to the PROJECTS space. I want to be able to edit that PROJECTS page and write stuff like:

This is Our Company's Projects Space. The admin for this me@foo.foo. Please don't hassle me. Check out the following active projects

Active Projects

Proof-of-Concepts

Please see latest news for ongoings.

Freeform. Let me structure it however I want. Provide some decent macros (TOC, etc) and I am good. If there is no content in this home page, then show me the default CS view. And yes, I do like the ability to add 'panels' as you suggest. But I would be happy with it implemented as macros. So, if i wanted  my discussions list to show up under my overview content, i simply add .

Also...

Another thing. Having links show up as {doc-1000} slows down the authoring of content. The better way IMHO is to let users worry about uniqueness of document within a particular space. If already exists, just link to it. I must rather have my links that were created like stay that way instead of being translated to {doc-1000}.

Thanks

Message was edited by: ernestkoe, fixed some typos

Ryan Rutan

In regards to Ernest's comments, we have the same use-cases here...and I'd like to re-iterate my strong belief that file uniqueness by name is a lot more flexible and preferred from our organization.  When setting up Wiki-Stubbs (conceptually), I would rather have a link that never changes....(i.e. keeps the static subject)...and simply does a Document resolution on that as the Key.  If we look at most enterprise platforms there is very little direct access to elements by direct ID...from a flexibility perspective, the "subject" becomes a very affective alias...and unique key.....

The value that we've seen from this idea is basically the ability to let the user's control access to content they seem fit (rather than having them flag a piece of content and let an engine display all flagged).  There is a certain level of personalization that can't/shouldn't be automated here....in our opinion.

As for the control panels and modularity...looks great....I know you said this wasn't final...has this been given any target version number?  Version 1.4 is out in a week or so...so maybe 1.5? j/k =)

Magpie

Great, I like the configurable nature of panels that incorporates/enables a richer expression of space information.

Could I also promote again the inclusion ideas/concepts I put forward in the Enhancing the Prominence & Use of Tag Groups feature discussion proposal.

Underneath sub-groups or as part of sub-groups, I'd like to see a very similar treatment for Tag Groups as opposed to the current filtering by Tag Groups treatments.

I respect <span style="font-weight: bold">ernestkoe's</span> comments about the ability to create and mange the structure of a space from a landing page if you wish, which would still be possible to do given the capabilities of the WYSIWYG editor to easily create links.

This is a fantastic thread!

Magpie wrote:

I respect <span style="font-weight: bold">ernestkoe's</span> comments about the ability to create and mange the structure of a space from a landing page if you wish, which would still be possible to do given the capabilities of the WYSIWYG editor to easily create links.

That is exactly the type of flexibility we were going for with the wireframes that Nick posted. The idea is to give space administrators the power to make the overview of a space exactly what they need. It can be as powerful as a wiki document that provides the structure to everything else, or it can be structured by the system by laying out separate widgets. The wiki document on the home space page is edited just like any wiki document.

• Wireframe / Screendesign elements

Nick, I want to do the screendesign in Powerpoint.

Do you have the Clearspace icons and elements as .gif's or in .ppt?

Thanks,

Ralf