2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2007 12:01 PM by ajohnson1200

Publish corrupts formatting

We''re not doing anything particularly hard, with rich text editor we''re defining a centred bold header (with ''<'' chars in the text), followed by an unordered list (centred), more centred text, cut&paste a basic table in from another doc and these all look fine at edit time. Changing any of these, moving them around and so on worked OK. Once I Publish though, the format is completely screwed. Main problem - some spurious markup becomes part of the documents visible text, the centred items no longer center justified, the bullets turn to basic ''*'' chars and there are various other corruptions. In general I''m quickly finding the editor is flakey, unreliable and plain broken. If I toggle between rich/plain text a number of times, and try to recover original formatting, things become even more corrupted.

This is not an enterprise product (IMO) if basic edit function is broken, I''m consider if we should move to an alternative before we add too much time and content into clearspace. These are not simple bugs, they are showstoppers.

Apart from that, if I''m to move shop from moin to clearspace I dont see any support for importing ''= header ='' type formatting, thats a major issue for anyone moving off basic wikis and looking for a solid alternative.

Lastly, I dont see any on-page Help links. Not good.

• Re: Publish corrupts formatting

I expected as much, but THIS editor corrupted my post since it contains the same text the clearspace editor screws up on. Here is most post, without the less-than char:

We''re not doing anything particularly hard, with rich text editor we''re defining a centred bold header (with ''less-than'' chars in the text), followed by an unordered list (centred), more centred text, cut&paste a basic table in from another doc and these all look fine at edit time. Changing any of these, moving them around and so on worked OK. Once I Publish though, the format is completely screwed. Main problem - some spurious markup becomes part of the documents visible text, the centred items no longer center justified, the bullets turn to basic asterix chars and there are various other corruptions. In general I''m quickly finding the editor is flakey, unreliable and plain broken. If I toggle between rich/plain text a number of times, and try to recover original formatting, things become even more corrupted.

This is not an enterprise product (IMO) if basic edit function is broken, I''m consider if we should move to an alternative before we add too much time and content into clearspace. These are not simple bugs, they are showstoppers.

Apart from that, if I''m to move shop from moin to clearspace I dont see any support for importing ''= header ='' type formatting, thats a major issue for anyone moving off basic wikis and looking for a solid alternative.

Lastly, I dont see any on-page Help links. Not good.

• Re: Publish corrupts formatting

hi cryan,

Once I Publish though, the format is completely screwed.

Could you take 2 minutes and send me (aaron@jivesoftware.com) a screenshot of what it looked like before you clicked publish and after you clicked publish? I feel like that would be the best way to get a handle on what happened during the edit process.

support for importing ''= header ='' type formatting

We''ve got an issue filed for that, so it''s definitely on the radar screen:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/issues/browse/CS-745

any on-page Help links

There is a help icon in the plain text editor (look for the little blue question mark icon) but you''re not the first person who''s missed it, we need to either move it or make it more distinctive.  As far as offering inline help throughout the product, I think our unofficial position has been that we want to make the product in such a way as to not need inline help. In other words, if the product just intuitively makes sense, we shouldn''t need documentation. 

So with that said, what part of the application did you start looking for documentation about?

Cheers,

AJ