15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 11:14 AM by richrose

Blog features

A first list of blog new feature requests:

- edit via blog editor like ms live writer or ecto

- users customize their own templates

- RSS gateway - daily/hourly import feeds from my external blog into my clearspace blog

- admin can lock down prefs (we would like to mandate comment authentication and trackback moderation)

- closer-grained permissions - with social networking functions, author specifies who can see each post

Just implement the good parts of blogger, typepad, vox, and the rest and we''ll be happy.

• Re: Blog features

I believe the CS Blogs do support a few common blog APIs like Blogger and Typepad for posting.  I was recently trying to use the FireFox ScribeFire plugin to post to my internal clearspace but couldn''t get it to work.  I perused through the forums and documentation but could not find a how to.  Does anyone have any documentation for the blog API features?

hi John,

edit via blog editor like ms live writer or ecto

We definitely do support editing using offline editors via the Metaweblog API. I apologize that we haven''t added documentation around getting these clients setup, but I do have some very informal documentation for a bunch of clients that I tested out awhile back:

• MS Word 2007 (PC)

o Setup notes:

+ blog: other

+ api: MetaWebLog

+ blog post url: http://yoursite/blogs/xmlrpc

• Windows Live Writer (PC)

o Setup notes:

+ blog url: http://yoursite/blogs/yourblog

+ Everything should be auto-configured for you, nothing else to do.

• Performancing (PC or Mac using Firefox)

o Setup notes:

+ blog url: http://yoursite/blogs/yourblog

+ Everything should be auto-configured for you, accept all the defaults.

• MarsEdit (Mac)

o Setup notes:

+ Home URL: http://yoursite/blogs/yourblog

+ Software: Other MetaWeblog-compatible

+ RPC URL: http://yoursite/blogs/xmlrpc

+ Blog ID: yourblog

• ecto (PC or Mac)

o Setup notes:

+ Address of your weblog: http://yoursite/blogs/yourblog

+ Everything should be auto-configured for you, accept all the defaults.

• DashBlog (Mac dashboard widget)

o Setup notes:

+ Blog Type: Self-run via Blogger API

+ API URL: http://yourserver/blogs/xmlrpc

• blogjet (PC)

o Setup notes:

+ provider: MovableType API

+ host: yourserver.com (or localhost if you''re testing this on your machine)

+ page: /community/blogs/xmlrpc/

+ port: 8080 if running in development, most likely on port 80

We don''t currently support the newMediaObject part of the MetaWeblogAPI so you won''t be able to upload pictures (yet). 

users customize their own template

I totally agree that we need this, it''s definitely on the radar.

RSS gateway - daily/hourly import feeds from my external blog into my clearspace blog

This has come up a number of times internally as well, we''re looking into it.

admin can lock down prefs (we would like to mandate comment authentication and trackback moderation)

Good point, I''m guessing it''s those two specific preferences you want to lock down right? ie: would it be ok to leave the other preferences (send notification when new comment / trackback is received) as options for end users?

closer-grained permissions - with social networking functions, author specifies who can see each post

I personally think setting permissions per post would be too configurable, but I can see something more like Vox where you can specify a list of users that can view your blog.

Cheers,

AJ

1. editing APIs. great!

2. templates. good to hear.

3. locking down config. Yes, those are the two at this point, but I haven''t put a lot of thought into it.

4. who can see your blog - that granularity sounds fine.

Have you tested these recently? I can't get the final release of Windows Live Writer 2008 (build 12.0.1366.1026) nor Word 2007 (build 12.0.6015.5000) to connect to the server.

hi Peter,

I was able to get Windows Live Writer to post a blog post to my blog on our intranet just now.  When you say 'connect', what do you mean?  Do you get an error while attempting to publish? Can it not find your blog?

Cheers,

AJ

Hi Aaron,

I downloaded a personal copy of the server so I could play around with the settings. I think my system admin has to enable XML-RPC on the System -> Web Services panel.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!

-- Peter

hi Peter,

I'm pretty sure that the blog XML-RPC functionality isn't included under the System --> Web Services umbrella. Let me know if that works, but if not maybe you could post the settings you're using when trying to configure your blog in Windows Live Writer?

Cheers,

AJ

Hi Aj,

I'm having trouble getting Microsoft Live Writer (or Adobe Contribute CS3) to post to clearspace and was hoping you could help.  Here's my setup:

1. Clearspace 2.0.0 self-installation package running on Windows Server 2003
                          2. I'm using MS SQL 2005 as my database.
                          3. I've enabled XML-RPC services in the Web Services panel under System/Settings.
                          4. Web Serveices 'user access' is set to Anybody and Force SSL is set to No.
                          5. I have 3 blogs already setup in ClearSpace, none of them have posts yet.
                          6. I am user 'admin'
                          7. I am using Windows Live Writer version 2008 (build 12.0.1366.1026)
                          8. I set my Weblog Homepage URL (in livewriter) to http://clearspace/clearspace/blogs/admin (this is my internal addy, i've also used the external URL)
                          9. I set my username to admin (and my password)
                          10. I set the weblog type to Metaweblog API
                          11. I set my remote posting URL to http://clearspace/clearspace/blogs/xmlrpc (this is my internal, i've also trield the external)

When LiveWriter attempts connection, it ruturns this message

Blog Server Error - Server Error 1000 Occured

ERROR in BloggerAPIHandler.getUsersBlogs

I'm not sure if that's a true ClearSpace server error or if its a Livewriter error..

I've also tried other various URLs for xmlrpc but get errors that say URL could not be found - so I think I have the URL correct.

Do you have any idea of what might be happening?

-Charley

For what it's worth, I can't get MarsEdit working on Mac OS X 10.5 -> Clearspace 2.0 with these settings.

me neither.

Clearspace 2

Marsedit 2.1.3 (1404)

On trying to load recent posts I get:

Can’t get recent posts for xxxxxxx because the server reported an error: Failed to invoke method getRecentPosts in class com.jivesoftware.community.webservices.xmlrpc.MetaWeblogAPIHandler: Blog My Blog could not be loaded from the database.

on trying to post I similiarly get:

Can’t post for xxxxxxx because the server reported an error: Failed to invoke method newPost in class com.jivesoftware.community.webservices.xmlrpc.MetaWeblogAPIHandler: Blog My Blog could not be loaded from the database.

basically a complete bust.

I had this working fine in CS 1.3 and ScribeFire.  I recently connected my ScribeFire to CS X 2.1 and I see this error in the logs when trying to access my blog via the xmlrpc endpoint http://myserver/clearspacex/blogs/xmlrpc

2008.07.07 17:52:15 ERROR in BlooggerAPIHander.getUsersBlogs

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.acegisecurity.providers.UsernamePasswordAuthenticationToken cannot be cast to com.jivesoftware.base.aaa.JiveAuthentication

at com.jivesoftware.base.aaa.SecurityContextAuthenticationProviderImpl.getAuthentication(SecurityContextAuthenticationProviderImpl.java:41)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplication.getEffectiveContext(JiveApplication.java:210)

at com.jivesoftware.community.webservices.xmlrpc.BloggerAPIHandler.getUsersBlogs(BloggerAPIHandler.java:78)

I am using LDAP authentication through AD.  

Another super useful feature would be a "below-the-fold" marker-- such that when authoring a post, user could say basically "display up to this point in the main page." The system would then truncate the display of the blog on the overview page and provide a clicktrhough for "continue reading post xyz."