4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2011 1:43 PM by JohnSchwiller RSS

What is the Jive Genius Recommender Service?

JohnSchwiller

http://docs.jivesoftware.com/jive_sbs/5.0/index.jsp?topic=/com.jivesoftware.help.sbs.online_5.0/admin/WhatIsJiveGenius.html  states:

"The Recommender Service obeys all content permissions and will not recommend content that a user doesn't have permission to view. Therefore, users may not see the same Trending Content or Trending People, depending on their content viewing permissions, ...."

Whereas Jive Genius FAQ used to say (I have a local copy):

New users and upgrade users:

Since trending is global and not user speific (sic), all users have access to trending people. It doesn't have the same start-up limitations as "Recommended for you".

Aren't these inconsistent? The reason I think the latter is how it is working is that I have several times looked at a trending person, for example Devan Batavia or Simon Lappin and not seen any content - I have therefore inferred that whatever they are doing is not available to me.

Are Trending People actually personalised? BTW 'my' view or the view hasn't changed for several days. 

Edit: - then later the doc says "Because the trending algorithm is global and not user-specific, all users have access to trending people." - Seems internally inconsistent?

Message was edited by: John Schwiller