16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 10:03 AM by jemjanik

Follow Confusion on 4.5.6

John Schwiller

Again per emails to Brian, on our 4.5.6 instance we get (at the same time):

nicky-ui-45.jpg

And on Mobile

nicky-mobile-45.jpg

• Re: Follow Confusion on 4.5.6

Hi John,

Here's a summary of the options available in mobile for the two versions (4.5 & 5.0) for internal & external communities:

Public Comm.

Internal Comm.

1. 4.5

Follow (receive email)

Follow (receive email)

1. 4.5

Connect (adds as connection)

1. 5.0

None

Follow (adds to Followed Stream)

As stated previously, we don’t support connecting for 4.5 or following for 5.0 in public communities at the moment because we don’t have a way to properly represent the state of the request while it’s pending.

Brian

John Schwiller

Thanks.... but isnt the browser UI  telling me I'm (already) following, whilst the action button on Mobile is telling me I have yet to press it to Follow (note it doesnt say Unfollow).

Isn't Mobile playing back the wrong state?

No, but the language choice is awkward at best.  In 4.5, when you add someone as a connection it says "you are following <user>" which then translates into "Disconnect" within Mobile in case you wanted to sever that tie.  Rather than try to include the lengthy call to action "receive email communications" in Mobile we chose to use Follow/Unfollow to reflect whether you have opted to receive emails on the user.  Assuming you are not receiving email on Nicky, there is not a bug but rather just confusing word choices. 

tmaurer

Seriously Brian? So if you are on a desktop, "Follow" means you won't get emails, and on a mobile device it means you will? That makes me now wonder if I should wait till we upgrade to 5.0 to launch mobile. My users are already confused enough about what Follow means. To make it so that it has a contextual meaning is going to frustrate them even more. Yikes.

John Schwiller

Oh boy the enormity is dawning on me.... 

So on a 4.5.6 Internal in Connection mode I've got:

Browser UI 'State'          Browser UI Display                    Mobile UI

Not Following                 Follow                                            Follow

No email                         Receive email                              Disconnect

Following                    Stop following                                   Follow

No email                     Receive email                                   Disconnect

Not Following                Follow                                             Unfollow

Receive email               Stop email                                    Connect

So the meaning of 'Follow' in the browser UI is nothing like the meaning of 'Follow' on Mobile. Sounds like a lot of confusion may arise here - particularly for users who spend time on both interfaces?

Sorry if everyone else 'got this' months ago.

John Schwiller

How about using an icon instead?

On mobile UI the existing Follow could be an envelope with a green tick - meaning press this button to receive emails.

Existing Unfollow could be an envelope with a red cross - meaning press this button to stop emails.

This way you are not re-purposing a word that means something different elsewhere in Jive.

John Schwiller

Then in my table (without any cells showing), apart from the fact that I can't tie-up the Mobile button words Connect / Disconnect (I can't see a pattern here which is annoying me a bit).

Again instead of words why not make the button have icons two heads with a link line and tick or two heads and link line and cross?

John Schwiller

So as the lack of 'pattern' was annoying me (bigtime) - I went back to check the first row of settings for Nicky: 

Browser UI 'State'          Browser UI Display                    Mobile UI

Not Following                 Follow                                            Follow

No email                         Receive email                              Connect  (this entry has changed)

And BTW I still have my written notes from yesterday - it definitely says on my notes "Disconnect".

So either I'm a poor recorder of data or what is displayed is a function of the sequence by which you arrive at the state you measure (which is worrying). I'll now check with other accounts to see what I get.

Edit: tested with two other accounts using various sequences and it now seems to always work consistently. Can't explain what I think I saw yesterday

Message was edited by: John Schwiller added update after more tests.

sorry for the confusion everyone.  I'll put together a more thoughtful synopsis shortly including some possible changes we'll make to clear this up.

We debated a bit about what to do here and made the following conclusions:

1. We need to change the language in the 4.5 version of the Mobile app to better match the web UI.  Not to make an excuse but we arrived in this less than ideal state because of the myriad permutations of Jive we were trying to support at once: 4.5.6, 5.0, Internal, External.
                            2. To do so, the button currently known as "Follow" will need to become something like "Receive email" or an icon-based prompt like John recommended.  Today it is subscribing the user to email on the other user's activity so we should be explicit about that.
                            3. The button currently labeled "Connect" will be changed to "Follow".  We used Connect before because of the corresponding Connections stream of Activity but it's more important to align with the desktop UI.  Note that this option is only presented in internal communities as noted previously.
                            4. No changes to the Jive 5 version of Mobile with the possible exception of syncing up with the desktop's "Follow/Following" vs our "Follow/Unfollow" terminology.

Sorry again for the confusion!  I'll update this group when we push out the fixes.

tmaurer

Brian, this is really great news! Thanks for being so quick, thoughtful and understanding of your audience. And having been on your side of the fence before, I know firsthand that trying to support multiple versions of the software at once can be really confusing as a product manager. REALLY appreciate the willingness to adjust!

John Schwiller

Hi Brian

So on a Five Internal (with no approval) we now only have a Follow / Unfollow button in mobile. But the web UI still has a 'Receive email notifications' / 'Stop email notifications' link (although IMO the increase in complexity of options such as email / track / follow is getting pretty mind boggling).

Would it be consistent to add the other button as with 4.5 or is it left out of mobile for reasons to do with gradual deprecation of this mode of staying aware of what the user is doing?

jemjanik

When is the wording expected to change in the 4.5 mobile version?  We're in UAT of it right now & until someone sent me this thread I couldn't figure out what was going on... which means my community will also be confused. I am so glad you see how confusing it is and are agreeing to tweak it.