38 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 1:49 AM by karenp

External Community knowledgebase/document store house advice

mnevill

Does anyone use an external community implementation of Jive as a knowledgebase/document store house? We are going to launch an external community early next year.  In the process we are going to import all of our current documentation from our existing kb. I am looking for some best practices in regards to using tags, categories, or any other relevant tools within Jive. We are changing from a product based structure in our existing kb to a category based structure in Jive.  I have a fear of “over tagging” things in the ground work to the point of corrupting search results later after we start to get a lot of discussion threads going through end user participation.  This fear is mostly due to my inexperience with Jive and its search.  I know consistency will be key as well as coming up with commonly used terms for classification.  I would like to hear any experiences, tips, gotchas, or advice from anyone that mixes a lot of published documentation in with their other community content.

Thanks,
      Matt

• External Community knowledgebase/document store house advice

Hi there,

Tons of our customers do this, but one of my favorite examples is http://community.zenoss.org/

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: External Community knowledgebase/document store house advice

Best way to pick the brains of the folks at Zenoss about how they did the auto-migration of their docs to Jive is to reach out via twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/zenoss

mnevill

Gia,

Thanks for the reference.   I'm not sure that we are going to do an auto-migration of our content, but if we take that route I will try to reach out to Zenoss. 

You mentioned tons of customers are doing this.   Are there any other customer examples you can point me to?  The more the merrier. 

Thanks,
                Matt

mmansberger

Hi Matt, I stumbled upon this post while doing research for a similar initiative.  I'm in the process of re-launching our Jive-powered external community and part of the strategy is to include more touchpoints with our customer support team.  Our support team is 95% decided on contracting with a 3rd party knowledgebase vendor as their KB instead of using Jive itself.  I'm trying to figure out what the integration touchpoints will be and what type of user experience will result from having KB articles on one platform and discussions (plus all other social business aspects) in another.  I may still have some time to show the support team why it makes sense to house the KB in Jive instead of a KB-specific vendor.  That said, I'm curious to how your project went and if you had the successful results you were hoping for.  Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

mnevill

Mike,

I would be happy to share.  We moved all of our content over and have been nothing short of incredibly pleased with that decision.  Customers are finding things with relative ease for the first time, and I'm stoked because Google indexes all of our open content quite nicely helping even more people that do not come to our site directly.  In my opinion having all of your content it Jive will always result in a much better customer experience and make the content much easier to manage.  When we are responding to customer posts it is so nice to just be able to at mention a document or space and have it pop right up in the thread.  It sounds like you have to move your content somewhere either way, what do you have to lose moving it into Jive?  That way you don't have to spend a lot of extra dough on another system not to mention migration, training, maintenance, etc.  Jive has served us incredibly well as a kb.  There are only a few documentation features it does not have that I wanted, but we easily worked around them.  Keep fighting the fight and hopefully you will turn them around.

Thanks,
                        Matt

mmansberger

Thanks Matt!  Your feedback is great validation for the strategy I have in mind.  Would you mind elaborating on one or two of the documentation features Jive doesn't have that you wanted?

mnevill

The ones we came across are listed below:

• No built in bulk import tool.  There are other options for this available in the JC, you just have to search to find them.  This ended up not being a big deal for us because we ended up doing a manual import since all the documents were going to have slightly different tags.

• No bulk tagging abilities.  This is still a deficiency that will hopefully make it in the product one day.  A lot of people have complained about this.  The search has been stellar and our SMEs have been really good about adding proper tags so this has not caused a major problem for us yet, but there are certainly times where it would have helped a lot.

• A document cannot be associated to multiple spaces.  In our old kb you could make a document visible in multiple folders, but something similar is not available out of the box.  To fix this we just made common documentation areas and made sure those were advertised in the proper places to help people find them.  I am still not 100% happy with that solution because it still forces you to have to put some documents here and others there, but it has seemed to work ok so far.

Again, despite these deficiencies it has been an amazing platform even just as a documentation storehouse.

Thanks,
                                Matt

trishaliu

One of my favorite (and envy-producing) success stories of KB, Salesforce and Jive integrations is the Spark community at StrongMail. I think Judith Soto might have been at jw12 this year - I think I heard her voice in a session. If that's true, I missed seeing her and am sad!! Anyhow, here are some details from the StrongMail community integration: Re: Community & Customer Support

In our customer community, we now post the official Product Documentation (manuals, release notes, admin guides, etc) and are enjoying many of the great benefits Matt has listed. (Our community is private, so the Google index benefit doesn't apply to us.).

However, our Knowledgebase system is separate. And unfortunately, it is not integrated with our community. So, customers have to go to a second system to search that resource. And we miss out on the cross-linking, easy at-mentioning, etc. We have wanted to integrate our KB into the community for a long time, and maybe we will someday (but no short-term plans to do so).

Here are some main reasons why we have not actively planned the KB integration:

• Many KB articles are inspired from technical support cases
                                • Our KB is a component of the tech support incident system. There is a mechanism to start a KB article from a support case. If we moved the KB articles to be written in the community, we may likely lose this feature.
                              • Measuring support case deflection
                                • KB articles are surfaced and offered when a customer starts to open a support case. If the case is 'abandoned', we count that as the KB deflecting the case
                                • By breaking the link between KB and Support cases (by moving KB to community), case deflection is harder to measure
                                • (This is also why it is hard for us to measure 'does having a customer community cause case deflection?')

I hope this information does not discourage you from pursuing usage of your Jive community for your KB. I think you should go for it! Just wanted to share some concerns that might come up within your team. Matt Nevill  - are these concerns you guys had to address, or maybe there are ways you are handling it / they are non-issues?

judiths

Hi Trisha Liu. Thanks for the mention and referencing our case study. I was at The specified item was not found., but only for one day. Bummer I missed you.

Our KB which used to be hosted on Salesforce was migrated to Jive and we've been happy ever since. Those content sources are huge drivers of adoption and engagement in our community, not to mention an effective method of deflecting support cases, an important community objective. We didn't use categories to organize the content, but in retrospect, we should have. It's an excellent way of helping users find what they're looking for, and for analytics, an excellent way to identify popular content.

I attended the Data, Networks, and Business Value by Jive session at JiveWorld. In the session, Karl Rumelhart talked about the huge improvements Jive has made on the search capability. Check out the recording of the session. Or Karl Rumelhart may be able to give you more information on a tagging best practice to prevent corrupting search results.

You can ping me if you have more questions Judith Soto.

Judith

mnevill

Trisha - all incredibly valid points and things to consider.  Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) we don't have a kb system integrated within our CRM ticketing system.  They were both on separate islands and we always just manually sent links to kb articles when working cases. 

To your point on kb articles being inspired from cases, we just make a running list in our weekly meetings of what are the top calls where a document or video would help and then crank them out internally or work with our Technical Publications department to request one from them if warranted.  Whoever creates the content loads it in Jive.

Measuring case deflection is something we are attempting to do now with Jive.  To be brutally honest, it doesn't feel like there is a magic bullet everyone in the industry adopts as a trustworthy way calculate this.  I would be interested in your (and others) approach to do this.

One thing I am really struggling with right now is figuring out if there is a way we can incorporate a KCS approach when working support tickets and then expose those problem/solutions to Jive somehow.  It appears at least for now we are stuck on BCM/Remedy AR System so I don't have a lot of hope.  My pie in the sky idea for a perfect solution is our engineers could come up with a public facing problem description, resolution, and tags for each case upon closure (if it is one we want to make public).  Then those could be imported into Jive as a "Cases" content type and show up inline with everything else in the search results.  I know that a lot of folks out there use Salesforce and Jive has been working on integrations for it, so maybe that is something that could be added in the product.  I think it would be marketable as a "Support Case" module or something like that, although it would be nice to be included for free .

AmandaS

Hi Trisha -

I know your reply here is from a company or two ago, but I still have a question about it   When your KB and community were separate, did you have a "discussions only" policy in the community or were there documents in the community as well?  If there were community documents, how did your team(s) decide what should go in the KB and what could be a community document?  If you have any examples I'd appreciate it.  We are considering a support community and I think people are struggling with what the end user experience will be like given that the support team is separate from the team that manages the existing KB and the two things would likely remain separate.

Thanks for any info/tips!

trishaliu

Hi Amanda! Sounds like the internal team structure at ArcSight was different from what you have now. Ours was:

• Support team, who also wrote and managed the KB
                                          • Tech pubs team, who wrote and published the official product documentation

Our content structure was:

• Community - started with discussions and the ability to create docs. No official company doc were posted at first
                                          • KB system, as a component of the support system
                                          • Later, the official docs moved to the Community, published in their own space. Published as documents with comments only, no discussions or other content types

Customers *loved* it when we moved the official docs into the community; search was better and they could leave comments on the docs. Customers wished we would migrate the KB to the community in order to have the same benefits. We didn't do this because we'd lose the ability to easily start a KB article from a support case, and the metrics for tracking # of articles written per Support Engineer would have been harder (or just different).

You mentioned the support team and the team managing the existing KB are separate. Does the KB team also manage the official docs? Do customers access the KB and official docs in the same place?

In terms of where customers had to go to do things, our customers had:

• Support system
                                            • Open support tickets
                                            • Access the KB
                                          • Community
                                            • User discussions
                                            • Official docs
                                            • Conference presentations
                                          • Download center (for software and licenses)

I hope this is helpful! rmkingsland manages the HP ArcSight community now. Ryan, anything you would add?

Trisha

AmandaS

Thanks for your reply Trisha!  Yes, the team that creates KBs also does the product docs.  These are hosted on a Drupal 6 site.

Aside from your official product docs, any other docs in the community?  Part of the uncertainty right now is over whether "everything" is a KB doc and, if not, what isn't?  This is because with the creation of a community there is an opportunity for a new channel for content creation.  The concern is over whether that will be great or create a mess...

rmkingsland

Currently the community is still pretty much like that, but we're planning on doing some integration with sfdc for crm and kb in the near future. Gah I'm beginning to think in acronyms! Amanda Shenon We do have more docs up than just official product documents, as Trisha mentioned we have session materials as well and a smattering of other docs that come out of product management like announcements.

mmansberger

Hi Gia, would you be able to provide more examples of Jive external communities that use Jive as their knowledgebase?  I saw T-Mobile present their KB at The specified item was not found. and thought it was very well done.  Hoping to find more examples to help convince my company's support team to stick with Jive for our customer KB, versus using another solution and having to deal with integration.  I'm still not convinced that either solution is better than the other (aside from cost $$$).

mnevill

There are some additional comments I shared privately somewhere else that I wanted to add to this thread for everyone else:

At first Jive was intended just to be a user forum, but we decided to move all of our documents over from our old kb.  It was a great decision, and I think it was part of the reason for our success today. Our document migration was a very manual process and took teams of people over several months. No matter how we approached it, each document had to be touched one at a time to add tags and categories, even if we could bulk upload.  There may not be a way to get around that, but the end result is everyone will be able to find your content with great ease, especially when you have a well thought out tagging taxonomy.  It is also great to at mention documents when replying to posts for a very clean cut user experience.  Another benefit is having one central place to go for everything.  This automatically increases adoption as people will flock to Jive for the different needs that it provides (documents, asking questions, news, blogs, etc).  The more systems you can decommission and move to Jive the better the experience and the greater the adoption, plain and simple.  This also reduces customer frustration as they won't have to keep track of yet another login to another site.  Measurement is another HUGE perk.  You can get a much better pulse on how things are going overall as well as specifically for documents with the metrics that Jive offers (views, feedback, likes, and ratings).

Thanks,

Matt

tanafranko

Does anybody have a more recent, public knowledgebase example to share? The zenoss community seems to have been replaced with a MediaWiki implementation.

Billy Volpone

Hi Tana, there are actually quite a few. I'll let individual users chime in with their own favorites or their own specific community, but from a Jive deployment standpoint, we're seeing more and more use cases happen around knowledge bases that end up being fully integrated into the network. What I mean by this is that many times there isn't a place called "knowledge base" or "documentation" and instead these documents or videos live throughout the community and are organized via topic like much all of our other Jive content. A great new example of a site I love showing this is the Nintex community. If you click on the "Getting Started" group button from the homepage, you'll see knowledge base 'how to' articles living side by side with discussion and blog updates:

Also, within any product area of the Schneider Electric community, they do a great job supplying dispersed documentation throughout: Space: GIS Products | exchange

There are of course still great examples of dedicated knowledge areas if that is preferred though:

Topliners: https://community.oracle.com/community/topliners/know-it

GNS3: Space: Documentation | GNS3

jkurutz

Billy,

The sites you linked to look good, but I don't see examples that fit our own case well. We would like to develop an organically-grown knowledgebase that...

• will have hundreds of knowledgeable articles (i.e., more than can be organized on a single page using a View Document tool)
                                                    • keeps the knowledgebase articles separate so one can go straight to them without wading through the discussions, questions, other documents, etc.

Can you please point to a Jive knowledgebase that

• keeps KB content in a separate area?
                                                    • organizes hundreds of KB articles in a manner that enables location by browsing, not just searching?
                                                    • enables permitted users, but not everyone, to collaborate on KB articles?

I've heard that people have created Jive KBs meeting those specs for some external communities, and I'd appreciate looking over one or two of them.

Thanks. - Josh

Hi Josh Kurutz -

The Knowledge Base Implementation Guide is a guide that walks through the process of setting up, configuring, and managing a KB in Jive.  The guide specifically calls out some methods for using categories for organizing a large number of articles to enable article browsing as opposed to only using search. The document also touches on how to set up permissions in such a way that your support team can freely public new articles, while other community members can either submit ideas for new articles or write new article drafts for the support team to approve through the moderation system.

The guide is based off of Jive Support's own Jive Knowledge Base space - There are about 150 articles at this point, so the scale is smaller than what you are looking for, but we are making use of categories and they are prominently featured and called out on the Jive Support page.

On a larger scale, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, T-Mobile has a support community where the KB articles are spread out across a large number of places instead of a single KB Space. You can get a sense of how they organize their topics and the homepage call to actions here: Welcome | T-Mobile Support

karenp

Our site is: https://community.landesk.com/support/welcome

We have 4500+ pieces of public KB content and they are in general organised by product (place) and then by component / module (sub-place).  We do have discussions and documents mixed in together but then we also have html widgets on each component page allowing people to click to browse just the documents.  We have FAQ pages which we call Landing Pages on every component page displayed as a View Document widget.  We use categories to stamp the document with any product version that applies to the KB document so people can choose to filter a content list by product version.

Not exactly what you were after but thought it might be worth sharing.  We would currently expect visitors to search more than browse though - something we are working on as an upcoming project.

Karen

jkurutz

Thanks, Karen. The Landesk community looks great, and your page for IT Service management is particularly well laid-out. (https://community.landesk.com/support/community/servicedesk), providing visual cues to help the user find different kinds of documents.

Do you ever have a need for creating a knowledgebase item out of discussions with customers? In my company's field, analytical chemistry, we often discuss and resolve problems "out loud" in the community, but it would be helpful to transform these sometimes meandering but eventually productive discussions into concise knowledgebase articles. Such items would not really bear the company imprimatur like a manual or application note, but they should be distinguished from a Discussion.

Thoughts?

Thanks. - Josh

Julie Cardinali Brancik

I would love to know more about the feedback button on the right side of the page!  That's genius.

karenp

Thanks for the feedback!

Julie Cardinali Brancik We ended up buying a specific bit of survey software which had a special add on module called Site Intercept.  We wanted to do quite a few different things with our surveys (not just on the site I linked to but on our case closure surveys and our support portals for example) so it made sense to make a larger investment.  This survey product does the feedback bar on the right on the page and also an embedded survey question onto each document and discussion.   There are quite a few survey products which can do this type of thing so it took me a while to select one.  I can message you with more specific details if you are interested to know more.

Josh Kurutz We do get documents created out of a discussion but these tend to be more of an organic thing.  We have SMEs who are responsible for one area (sub-place) of the community and they may notice something in the discussion (or someone else in the tech support team will) and they will create an article off the back of this.  They might add a link into the discussion to direct over to the document.  We have more formal documentation as well and these tend to come about when a new release comes out.  In general though because we have discussions and documents mixed in together we don't really mind whether the answer comes from the KB or discussions.  We find that as a general rule customers tend to find their answers 50% of the time in discussions and 50% in documents.  Even though the support team try to write documents using the wording of the customer (we follow Knowledge Centered Support processes) they do tend to word it slightly differently (perhaps because they don't want to use incorrect terminology!) so the discussions can sometimes hit the mark better when a customer searches.  As an aside, because we rely on different individuals to work on different areas we do find that we can struggle with consistency throughout the site but on the other hand people have a great deal of pride when they work to improve "their section".

Karen

Libby Taylor

David Bastedo

Are there any tips you can give Josh on the subject of Knowledge Bases? Thanks for your help!