7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 6:51 AM by bjewell

Community manager time requirements for a new launch?

ridingo

Hi folks. I need to scope time investment for a new internal community manager. No doubt, the time investment can vary greatly depending upon adoption rates. However, will a new internal community, managed by a novice community manager require an hour or two each day? Keep in mind, this role is not the person's normal function. This produces a secondary question - are most internal community sites managed on a part time basis? Hopefully, this question is not too vague. I understand there are likely many variables. Thanks in advance for the expert assistance.

cheers

• Re: Community manager time requirements for a new launch?
          John Schwiller

- How many users?

- What are your adoption targets?

- How many communities?

- Have you read Jive's 4 phase blueprint?    Jive Social Business Blueprint

But I'd say an hour or two a day is way too low (and risky).

1 person found this helpful
              ridingo

Hi John. I wish there were easy answers to your questions. Nevertheless, I wll try.

Users - it will depend by community. Could be as large as 1,000 for one group. Likely, more in the sub 100 range.

Targets - we have not created an adoption target. It again will depend upon the community. For a general information "community about communities", I think 1,000 users would be a success.

Communities - we will launch with 6 initial communities

Yes, I have read the blueprint. I have seen the expectations for SMEs,advocates, facilitators. This is the group my question specifically focuses upon.

Technically, the blueprint does answer the question. However, real world inputs are greatly appreciated.

bjewell

I agree that you can't really skimp on this one. It also depends on how you are staffing things like end user training/demos, the help desk, and evangelism. If all of those are expected to be done by the community manager, then it is a 1-2 person work effort. You can get some economies of scale once you have a number of other volunteer community managers (those who choose to create groups out of the gates), but it takes a good, central community manager to first get those people up and successful.

1 person found this helpful