8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2007 5:05 AM by johjar

New feature: Watch thread?

Hi, I would really like to be able to "watch" a discussion thread in Clearspace.

I use RSS a lot and it would really be convenient if I could just click a "Watch this thread" in a thread and then have a RSS feed for my wathed threads. Even cooler would be to have this ability also for blog posts (including comments) and/or documents (including comments).

Regards,

/John

• Re: New feature: Watch thread?

Hi John,

Thanks for the feature request. You can already get RSS feeds for threads, blogs, blog posts and blog comments. You can always find the feeds available on a page by clicking on your browser's feed listing icon (in Firefox this is in the address bar on the right-hand side and looks like the conventional RSS icon). There are also RSS icons sprinkled throughout the application with feeds related to that content. For example, at the top of this thread (just above the title) there is an RSS icon that will give you a feed of the thread.

In addition to RSS you can set an email watch on threads, spaces and people.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg. Thanks for replying. Yes, there are a lot of great RSS options but my problem is that I don't want to create a new RSS feed each time I find an interesting thread, I just want to "mark it as watched" thereby include it in the "My watches RSS" feed. The suggested behavior would be exactly as the "Email watch" but I would get notified with RSS (in the "My watches" feed) instead of by email.

Cheers,

John

Ahh, thanks for the clarification John. That makes a lot of sense. Basically you would like an RSS feed of all of your watches rolled together into a single feed. We've talked about something like this before and it is great to hear that it would be beneficial to you.

Thanks,

Greg

hi johjar,

I really like the idea of a single feed that shows all the content you're watching in theory. To actually implement this would be interesting... to say the least. On a related note, one of the things that's in 1.5 (to be released tomorrow) is the ability to export a list of all your watches as multiple RSS feeds in an OPML file that you could then download into your feed reader, giving you very similar functionality to what you've asked for above, but with the additional twist that you can more easily parse the new items because they're hierarchical.  The downside is that I don't know of any current feed readers that synchronize against an OPML file, but I'd love to get your feedback on this if / when you upgrade.

Cheers,

AJ

Hi Aaron,

The OPML feature sounds really cool, and I look forward to trying it out

Just to make sure I don't get misunderstood and with a slight risk of stating the obvious I just want to clarify what the feature I request might look like:

1. I read a forum thread, document or blogpost

2. There is a link called "Watch this", and when I click it the thread, document or post is added to my list of "watched items". This list is similar to my "Email notifications" list (which is actually called "watches" in the URL) but with the difference that I don't get any emails.

3. When I open my "watched items" list threre is a RSS link to this list. If I prescribe to this feed and add a watch the thread/document/blog post will appear as an item in the feed.

The feature would be a mix between the "Email notifications" (I can add watches but there is no RSS feed) and the "My discussions" list (threre is a RSS feed but I only get discussions in which I've contributed).

Thanks for the feedback!

/John

Your summary above is spot on.  One of the things I'd like to expand is the idea of a watch, which right now is limited to email only. The OPML feature I added in 1.5 is the first step in that, the second step would be to make a watch something that's configurable. In other words, you 'watch' something and then you can also decide to have that watch send you email (or not) and have that watch send you an IM (or not) and have that watch send you a SMS (or not) and have that watch added to your RSS stream (or not). 

Cheers,

AJ