17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 2:23 PM by enothnagle

Need for opening a Web URL in a new window

Hello,

When creating a new document or discussion we have the opportunity to create links to Web Address // Community Content // Browse History.

When creating a link to a web URL it may be interesting the the page opens in a new window (or not). Having a checkbox : open in a new window is for me a good thing

And you ?

• Re: Need for opening a Web URL in a new window

hi PFZ,

We've talked about this feature before and I believe that we're generally of the opinion that it should be up to the end user to decide whether or not they want to open a new window when clicking a link.  With that said, I don't think there's anything stopping you from adding it via HTML like this:

<a href="http://example.com/" target="_blank">your link</a>

Cheers,

AJ

dbeutner

Hi AJ,

This workaround (at least) does not work in the Formatted Text widget - any workarounds for that?!

Thanks in advance

Detlev

While I hope my firstpost here doesn't come off too badly, I HAVE to say that when you sell a product and not give it away for free, your opinion should be that what yor customers want, your customers get.  This should be an option and one on the administrative level.  The administrator should be able to enable or disable the ability to turn on and off for a URL to open a new window. 

Really, if the link leaves the site it SHOULD open a new window.  If it stays within the site, then it can or should be inline.  We are no longer in the days of 800x600 resolutions and computers who can't really handle too many browser windows.

I agree on the need to allow the paying customers to get what they want.  Just because it was in agreement that a user has the right to decide if they want to open a link in a new window or not doesn't mean that it shouldn't be the designers right to add that feature.  We should be able to make that decision.  It looks horrible to put on every single page -- Be aware that you have to right click and open in a new window if you don't want to leave this site.  I would hope this feature is added in the future.

I think we have to put ourselves into the shoes of the so-called "end user," whose degree of experience in computing can run the gamut from guru to technophobe. I believe there are still plenty of people out there who either don't know how to open a link in a new browser window, or who assume that it will happen that way automatically.

Yes, you can add this functionality with HTML. But there are lots of things you can add with HTML that should probably be built into the administrative interface. Besides, people submitting content might not know how to do that - many of them simply paste a URL into their message and are done with it.

There's a rich text editor for a reason. Perhaps the option to open a link in a new window could be added there for the poster to decide.

Take yourself out of the perspective of a developer for the moment and look at it from the perspective of that "end user" -  whoever that may be.

I'm definitely hoping (and expecting, actually) to see this functionality built into the administrative settings of a future release - because it just makes sense to do so.

Thanks, happy to join the community (discussing this feature is the reason I joined)

-Rob-

ajohnson1200 wrote:

hi PFZ,

We've talked about this feature before and I believe that we're generally of the opinion that it should be up to the end user to decide whether or not they want to open a new window when clicking a link.  With that said, I don't think there's anything stopping you from adding it via HTML like this:

<a href="http://example.com/" target="_blank">your link</a>

Cheers,

AJ

Is there any way to detect whether or not a URL is external, and have only external URLs open in a new window? That would be valuable as a feature, since that is a best practice most websites follow.

Thanks,

Diane

Yes, Manheim needs to be able to follow linking standards also - to open a new window when linking to external sites.  My concern is that this was originally brought to Jive's attention in Aug of 2007 and it is still an issue.  When will this basic HTML feature be available?

We would also like the option to open a new browser window added to the link option in the editor.  Whether to open a new window on a link or not is a usability issue that has been debated for years.  While you can get bad design anywhere, it should be up to the site to determine if they want to replace the window or open a new one.

Mike

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know that we've tentatively scheduled the ability to configure links to open in a new browser window as an enhancement for the Jive SBS Foundation release later this year. There is still a chance it could be pulled from the release due to time and resource constraints, but the intent is to get it in there. We're planning on giving administrators control over whether or not someone can configure the link to open in a new browser window, and whether the default is to open in a new browser window, or not, if the author can configure the link.

In the meantime we figured out a work around. It is clearly not ideal, but might be helpful in some cases. Add "class='jive-link-custom' target='_blank'" (without the double quotes) to the link, and we will not strip out the target attribute. I hope that helps!