5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2007 10:32 AM by sivo_kb

Community Idea: Allow Blogging after X Number of Recognition Points

Magpie

Taking Jivespace as an example, personal or specific space blogs for registered community members is not available. Blogs are being used to publish articles by Jivespace, which is fair enough.

It's obviously an community administration to define and managing the blog strategy for the community.

A community building idea, linked closely to the recognition points/status level of members is to reward contribution with the ability to create personal and/or specific space blogs. This could be implemented manually at the administration level or with new functionality that would automatically detect and grant permissions i.e. via a rule definition.

If the latter is thought to be useful, I'll raise it as a New Feature Idea.

• Re: Community Idea: Allow Blogging after X Number of Recognition Points

Great idea Magpie and one that we've talked about internally as well.  I was thinking that this could easily be done as a plugin but we don't currently fire an event when points are added to a user, so we should probably add that.    In the meantime, if you wanted this for you community, you should take a look at StatusLevelPointListener, which listens for new messages, blog posts, documents and helpful answer events and then adds points. You could implement something similar to that that instead of adding points when a new document or thread is posted, looks up the users status level and gives them a blog if they don't have one.

Cheers,

AJ

I agree that gaming can be an issue, but that's why you make sure the quasi-algorithm used for granting access (and for that matter, calculating recognition) is more than any single measure.

For instance, you could base it not simply on how many uploads a user did, but also how those content additions were rated by other users. Don't have many ratings from users? Calculate a weighted rating score based on the average amount of comments per post.

Certainly it's easy to get carried away and turn the system into something akin to Slashdots complex scoring system. Blech.

But thought through properly, you can use a couple of potential measures in combo to create an easy system, but one that is safe from gaming. (Or at least as safe as you'll ever get)

I love the idea though. I've actually built that same idea into a client project I'm working on now. We'll see how it turns out!

Jake

communityguy.com

I really like this idea as a way to encourage participation

sivo_kb

This sounds like an excellent user incentive to me. I'm going to bring this idea to our manager.

We've actually implemented a reverse approach wherein our "Newbie Interceptor" checks for a specified point level. If they haven't earned the threshold amount, their discussion posts require moderator approval.