24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 9:59 AM by aperrotte RSS

Have you heavily customized Jive?

bjewell

I'm looking to connect with others who have made heavy customizations to Jive and are willing to share pitfalls and successes. For context, we have an engineering team, and we worked with Jive PS (and now maintain ourselves) to customize core Jive to enable walled gardens, profile visibility, and simple personal content visibility. We've built some utilities like a bulk space deleter as well. Is anyone else out there doing large customizations (beyond themes and widgets) and willing to meet up?

• Re: Have you heavily customized Jive?
          nikhilnulkar

Hi Brice - I don't think we have done that level of customizations that you are talking about, but would be happy to meet & exchange ideas on this topic! Would love to understand what you have done as well!

Robert Dell'Immagine

This is a great idea. We've built some plug-ins that we'd be happy to discuss, and we'd be interested in hearing what others have done. We also implemented some source control integration that makes it easy to merge changes from new releases into our themes and widgets.

- Robert

phd2000

At Intel, specifically with the Intel Newsroom, we've been able to do major customizations to our site while avoiding customizing Jive itself in order to keep the integrity of the boxed version, making upgrades much simpler than had we done a lot of customizations to the product. This way we get all sorts of customizations without "Frankensteining" the platform... experience has taught us (time and time again) that keeping the platform as boxed as possible pays off big, especially in regard to version upgrades. Nearly all of our customization work is therefore done outside of the FTLs.

Here's a good example of what we've done without effecting any customizations of the Jive product (in our case version 4): http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-2321 - you can click on the tabs (Keynotes/Press Materials/Videos & Photos, etc) to see a variety of unique features including a YouTube playlist player and matching photo gallery/viewer/hi-res download resource, also social sharing capabiliities, and quite a bit more - all created without customizing Jive. This is a standard 'document' as far as Jive is concerned.

I'll be talking more about this in our session on Wednesday, 1:30-2:30 p.m., "On the Frontline: Top Community Managers," and would be happy to discuss more in depth during the week if anyone is interested.

See you all then! Should be a blast.

Patrick Darling

Brad.Fitzgerald

This is really fantastic and eye-opening.  I'm definitely interested in hearing more about this.  How many technical/developer types to you have supporting this site?

AmandaS

Patrick's post made me think that a good part of our discussion could be on not only what we've done, but how we've done our customizations to try and stay "upgrade safe".  There are definitely still some things that have been harder than others (for us).  We try to have a strict "no overlays" rule and stay out of FTLs as well but haven't been able to do that 100%.  That said, upgrades for us have been pretty straightforward on 4.x point releases.  2.x to 4.x was a bunch of work due to so much change in the platform and I expect 4.x to 5.x will be at least as much effort - more overall given the need for training materials and other "prep" for the community as well as determining how we are going to deal with certain things.

I'd be interested in hearing about customizations for internal communities as well.  We are a blended community of customers, partners and employees.   Most requests to modify the base platform aren't for flashy things - they're for things people want in order to get work done.  They come from employees who want things like notifications based on categories, email subject lines to be sortable, images pasted into email replies to display inline, bulk management on documents, document change notes, export to Word capabilities...you get the idea.      I'd be curioius to hear what others have done for employees and how you manage that release to release.

phd2000

Thanks Brad. There is myself and two more guys, both very talented. One of them, Si, will be at JiveWorld with me next week. We'd both be happy to sit with you and talk more about it. And if anyone else want to join in, the more the merrier.

FrankGebhardt

thanks Patrick. I mark your talk for my schedule

from a modification perspective, we have done as little as possible to avoid upgrade headaches. Still we made some mods to satisfy user requests and corporate design guidelines. Love to hear what you and others have done.

greg.godbout

Count me in. We are just getting started with customizations and have run into a number of headaches I'd love to hear what others are doing and share some of our experience as well.

bjewell

Thanks everyone for the interest. Looking forward to doing this. What times and dates work for you? Some possibilities:

• Tuesday morning
                          • Over breakfast or lunch Wed or Thurs
                          • Create our own ad hoc rountable session on Wednesday from 1:30-2:30 or Thursday 1:30-2:30

I'll set up a sign up list

aperrotte

Our customizations have been through tweaking things versus major redesign (via FTLs etc.), custom widgets have been a novelty often circumvented through the HTML widget. However being able to talk with developers with a deeper understanding of integrating permission based logic would be great . . . especially in looking to pull navigation away from the stock widget. We're still working in 4.0 so I'm also interested to hear from developers in later versions of JIVE and the trials and triumphs the new soy infrastructure offers future customization.

David Kilimnik

Hi Brice,

As you know, we at SolutionSet know a thing or two about this issue.  =)

Adam Trissel and I would like to sit in on the session once you get the sign up sheet going.

Cheers, -Dave

andrew.k.gold

Informative discussion and I'd certainly like to join in the "live" discussion at JW11. I have experience with implementations customizing the interface to 3.0 and 4.5 and deeper custom features as well. Looking forward to Patrick's presentation.

- Andrew

aperrotte

Hey All,

It was great going around the room and hearing all the different development elements being brought to the forefront. It seems like there were several common themes across the board. One being the wariness of stepping into the new 5.0 arena from a 4.x platform. Since we've been granted access to the sandbox for the conference I've setup a public group called. 4.* to 5.0:Developer Forum. Since Jive has granted us a sandbox test area I felt like it would be benefitial to create a hub for developer centric issues and concerns.

The group is located at:

http://jiveworld-training.jivesoftware.com/groups/4-to-50-developer-forum