9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 6:07 PM by david.brixey RSS

optimizing content for search

mnevill

We are going to use our external community for our customers to help other customers and house all of our support related documentation.  With that goal in mind we are trying to plan out the best approach for returning relevant search results.  I refuse to believe we are alone is this battle.  I am hoping some of you have fought it and won and will contribute to this discussion with your approach. 

Here is our problem: A lot of our documentation is relevant to a wide array of different product models with new products added on a regular basis.  Due to this fact the product name and model is not spelled out in a lot of our documentation as that would trigger the need to update all of our documents with each new product introduced.  We figured a manageable approach to handle this situation is with a base set of tags that can be triggered in the search by synonyms. For example documents could be tagged with “mobile” and then we could use Motorola, Nokia, etc as synonyms for mobile.  When a new mobile product is released (ex: driod) we could just add it to the “mobile” synonym list so everything currently tagged with “mobile” would be relevant instead of having to touch 1000+ documents one at a time to add the tag (since there is no bulk tag feature in Jive).  I am working with Jive support to see if this is the proper way to handle this situation and if that is the way synonyms are supposed to work or if they must be present in the content somewhere and not just a tag. 

I am confident some of you have faced this same issue.  I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer here.

Thanks,
      Matt

• Re: optimizing content for search
          Bill Chamberlain

Matt –

We are winding down our Pilot in October (4.5.6) and will be deploying to production in Q1 2012 (5.0.1). (internal community) Search is a huge deal for us and we are starting to dive into this more.

We’ve been working through how we implement Categories in Spaces and what, if any, governance we put around Tagging. You should also look at “stemming” vs “non-stemming” and configure this appropriately. (although, I believe Jive5 only allows for stemming)

We’ve played with synonyms in our Pilot to take into account some global language items (e.g. organization = organization), but have not fully vetted this with our Pilot users. I am intrigued by your idea, but I believe the synonyms work in pairs only (at least in 4.5.6.). Thus, you’d probably need:

Mobile, Nokia

Mobile, Droid

Mobile, Motorola

Finally, we’ve talked to a couple existing Jive clients about their Search experiences with large number of documents and they both had very good feedback on the search experience.

mnevill

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback.  I don’t see an option for stemming in 5.0, so I assume it is enabled by default with no easy way to alter it.  While stemming will likely help with natural language type queries I don’t anticipate it will help us with product specific names unless we can edit how it works.  All the data we have on searches from our current website show the vast majority are product name and model so our search needs to be optimized for that use case.  I have a ticket open with support on if the synonyms work only in pairs with a whole slew of other related questions.  Unfortunately we are seeing in 5.0 that synonyms don’t seem to trigger tags, which is bad news and hopefully just a bug.   This thread implies to me it worked or was intended to work at one time: synonyms on tags

Could you put me in touch with the other Jive customers that gave you good feedback on search?  I am going to JW11 and hoping to talk about this with other customers, but the more people I can discuss this with the better.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Guys,

The right person to talk to about search at Jive is my fellow PM, Karl Rumelhart. I'm the PM for external communities - and both of us will be at JiveWorld of course.

One good place to try to meet up will be on Thursday at lunch. We're doing tables of various topics and I'll be at the one for public communities and Karl will be at the one for search. We're also both doing sessions on our various areas so you can track us down there.

mnevill

Bill,

Thanks for the offer.  I will try to meet up with you and Karl next week so we can discuss this further.

Thanks,
                  Matt

mnevill

While I was at JW11 I met with Karl Rumelhart Thursday for lunch as well as stopped by the Jive Genius bar to talk to David Brixey to discuss this problem. 

Guys - please feel free to respond to this thread with any feedback even if it is that the synonym approach is the best way to go.  Thanks for taking the time to meet and talk with me last week.

aeilim

Interested to hear if you received any tips and tricks on how to go about this?

Also, some follow-up questions for fellow JW11 participants: How do you use Jive to replace your CMS? We are considering moving our knowledgebase into jive, but we need to be able to report on most popular items, least popular items and are also looking for some sort of a mechanism that we can use to input expiration dates on certain articles.

Bill Chamberlain

I do not have any additional details on the search, but we (Millward Brown) are also going through discussions around where to store our content. The two primary viewpoints right now are to either move the content into a “KM” space or to move the content into SharePoint and have the SharePoint Connector access it. I can keep you posted on where we end up if you are interested or would like to discuss.

We are also engaging Jive professional services for a couple customizations:

1)    An alert for “aged” documents

2)    A content relevance factor in the search. i.e., Certain types of content will be weighted to show up at the top of the search.

david.brixey

Hi Matt,

Due to the nature of your data the best option for optimizing search without applying tags is the synonym option. The content does not have to contain the synonym being used. As Bill mentioned each synonym is setup as a pair so you will have to make a pair for each term you want to include.

Aside from synonyms, is there a way to categorize the documents? Instead of grouping by device perhaps you could group them by use i.e. Mobile, Networking and then place them in a Space of the same name.

Thanks,

David