5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2008 10:13 AM by ajohnson1200

Question: How you able to apply an update a release to a customized application

Magpie

I've seen a number of customized clearspece implementations (Redhat, Intel, BoA) some of which have implemented a lot of cool approaches and features. This demonstrates the flexibility of the platform. I assume this will have been done by your professional services team?

What architectual aspects in the product and process by which you implement the customization menas that it is easy to update the underlying releases (4-6 week cycles)?

This would seem a good topic for documentation to enable those embarking on customization to get the architecture and processes in place to deal with the change cycles.

• Re: Question: How you able to apply an update a release to a customized application

Hey Graham,

Apologies that our processes for building customer projects aren't currently well documented. Our current goal in this regard is to make it all possible through plugins, though the plugin framework and Clearspace API aren't quite there yet. I will circle back internally with the team and see what is being currently worked on as far as documentation is concerned and see if we can't get it up on the community!

Cheers,

Alex

• Re: Question: How you able to apply an update a release to a customized application
              Magpie

Any update on setting up a community on this topic area?

I note that some documentation is going to be available to upgrade a customized solution to 2.0.

hey Graham,

Did you see the CNN site as well? Pretty cool (even though it wasn't done by our professional services team).  I can personally assure you that we're spending a lot of time over the next couple months working on the 'how' and 'what' of customization for the the entire 2.x release and we've spent a lot of man hours already documenting the cool stuff you can do in 2.0.

Was there something specific about customizations that you were interested in that we can drill into?

Cheers,

AJ

Magpie

Thanks AJ - up late again!

This topic is a bit of a Holy Grail. How do you build a constantly evolving platform of services with the ability to support configuration and customization. I term customization as something that is not automatically migrated as part of a upgrade to the underlining platform release. Configuration is something that has tool or web interface support to set-up and manage an organizations specific implementation that is automatically migrated (data and application) on upgrades.

On the surface it is relatively easy to let someone customise an installation, but how do you ensure compatibility with future releases and what support is there for migration of customizations and impacted data.

These are really important considerations that I'm sure your professional services know all about.

Something as a role model is perhaps Salesforce.com. I know that they have very slowly build-up the ability to support customization (configuration) over the years.

The dilemma is the freedom and wildness to customize today vs. a very sophisticated and with limitations.

In reality, it almost always falls somewhere in between. I'd like to know where Clearspace is on this spectrum and where its heading.

Regards,  Graham