2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2007 9:51 AM by rickross

Make announcement subject field optionally link to a URL

I would really like to be able to make the Subject field of an announcement be able to optionally link to a document or an external URL. Clearspace users are accustomed to clicking on headlines to get to destinations, and announcements may often be related to documents or discussions that provide additional detail. It would be smart for the Subject (which appears as the headline of the announcement) to be directly clickable to get to that destination.

I tried using wiki syntax in the Subject field to link to my target url, but there was no filtering, so it just showed the wiki markup in the field.

• Re: Make announcement subject field optionally link to a URL

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the idea, it would be nice to have that markup work in the announcement subject.

At the moment you can use HTML to add your 'a' tag to make the subject (or part of the subject) linkable.

Cheers,

Greg

• Re: Make announcement subject field optionally link to a URL

Thanks for the sugegstion to try HTML, Greg. I still think it would be good to actually provide an optional target url field as part of the announcement object model. There are complications that could arise from putting markup into the Subject field, and I suspect that Announcements very often have a target url for more info. As I look at the current "Plugin Contest" announcement on Jivespace it seems to fit this pattern, and we hit the same situation almost immediately at DZone.

Clearspace users expect to click headlines. It seems to be embedded into the DNA of Clearspace that they should.