4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2007 9:12 AM by ajohnson1200

RSS Feed by Community Name

Hello, I would like to pull feeds for communities by name instead of ID.  For example, I would like the url to be something like the main one for a community (http://mysite/community/webengineering would be main, feed would be http://mysite/community/webengineering/feeds/threads/subcommunities where 'subcommunities' is optional if you want the feed to include them) instead of having to use an id.

Is there a plan to add or switch to this?  If not, I am sure I can add it on my own (may ask for a little guidance if I have to go that route - I know to return a resultType of feed, but not sure on pathing issues with the existing jive mapper), but I think that would be useful and easier to read the urls - I should be able to determine the link to the feed for a community should I choose to do so (also lets me automate things more).

• Re: RSS Feed by Community Name

hi Jason,

We don't have any plans currently to add this, but you could definitely do it yourself without even having to make any feeds. Take a look at the source for CommunityURLMapping.

Cheers,

AJ

Excellent AJ, thanks, I will take a look at that!

-j

AJ, that does look like it will do the trick, but I need to understand one more detail.  In order to let the existing jive mappings continue to work as designed, I thought it would make more sense to write a similar class to CommunityURLMapping, also implementing URLMapping.  It appears the proper way to do this is to call JiveActionMapper.addURLMapping, as this seems to be the extension point for new mappings.  However, I am unsure of where I should be calling that method, as it is static, so only needs to be called once (presumably on startup somewhere).  If you can point me in the right direction, I think my problem will be solved.  Thanks!

-j