3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2007 9:30 AM by ajohnson1200

Blog stats?

If you're a blogger, you know that much of the crack-like reward is checking your traffic stats and referrer logs obsessively. I swear every blogger in our community has asked me if they can get stats. Actually, they usually ask me about RSS stats too, which I realize is crazy hard to get right.

I know that in general stats are NOT envisioned as part of Clearspace, but I don't have the resources to set up tracking accounts for each blogger in my community in my metrics package of choice.

Playing in the blog sandbox without getting page views, referers, and maybe some sort of RSS subscriber count is like having only a little toy shovel but no toy bucket.

Any chance of us ever getting a bucket?

JMT

ps if you give users the ability to change their own templates, they could probably just add sitemeter and be done with it, but the question is funnier without this ps. 

• Re: Blog stats?

If you're a blogger, you know that much of the crack-like reward is checking your traffic stats and referrer logs obsessively

+1 funny.

Any chance of us ever getting a bucket?

Yeah, I think we'd probably end up doing something like what you've talked about: we'd build an option into the blog manager for each blog giving users the ability to specify either a sitemeter account or a google analytics account or something and maybe also a feedburner account (so that they can do RSS reporting). I think you're right that in general we don't want to be providing these kinds of stats within Clearspace, although we could start providing things like incoming links (from the system), users who are subscribed / watching your blog (in the system), etc..

To be honest, this stuff isn't on the current roadmap, you might be better off doing this yourself (I'd be happy to help offline) or with PS.

Cheers,

AJ

Eh, we both have long lists of higher priority items. So it goes. It would be

a crowd-pleaser at some point.

But I do vaguely recall at one point Scoble making the argument that a blog

wasn't a blog without referer logs. Not true, but his point was that it is a

community-enhancing feature. I'll be interested to see how people having

discussions-via-Blogs develops vs people having discussions-via-Discussions.

But I do vaguely recall at one point Scoble making the argument that a blog wasn't a blog without referer logs

Maybe here (the co-author to his book Naked Conversations wrote that post). I would have agreed back in 2005 and then spammers got wind of it and I don't see them much anymore.

Cheers,

AJ