10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 7:33 AM by Melissa.Rosen

How Do You Create an Advocacy Group?

Melissa.Rosen

We are in the early stages of launching Jive (prob launch next year, Q1-ish). We have been using another product for 2-3 years, so I have a handful of folks I think I can bring into an Advocacy Group straight away. My question to other ICMs out there- How do I get started? I have general thoughts around engaging advocates to help train others, but I am sure there is much more we can do.  I want to build a program that really encourages them to stay engaged. Anyone have a game plan they can share?

• Re: How Do You Create an Advocacy Group?
          trishaliu

Hi Melissa - Congratulations on your upcoming launch! Is the Jive instance replacing the other product? If yes, then are the reasons why clearly defined? If no, then have you outlined / delineated when the old tool and the new tool should be used? This type of information will be very important both for the Advocates and all employees. The Advocates will need to buy into these reasons, and understand how the new tool will make daily work tasks easier.

One of the best aspects of training for Advocates is to help them get excited about the new way of doing things.

I hope this is helpful as a starting point!

Trisha

1 person found this helpful
              Melissa.Rosen

thanks Trisha Liu. We are going to decommission the old platform. The current plan is to not migrate content, rather, give folks X # of months to manually move anything relevant over, then make the old platform "view only" for another X # of months, then shut down completely. Other than training, any ideas on how else to enlist advocates?

trishaliu

Melissa, thanks for the additional information! Here are some of my favorite questions - the answers can be turned into key messages for your advocates and employees:

• What are some challenges / pain points with the old tool that the new Jive environment will make easier?
                  • What are some new activities that Jive will enable that folks have been asking for?

To enlist advocates, I look for the people who are actively looking for solutions, and who may already be natural cheerleaders within their teams. People who are 'nominated' to become advocates can be effective too, but they may need help in having their 'A-Ha!' moment regarding why switching to Jive is going to be good for them and their teams.

trishaliu

You may also be interested in seeing this amazing guide contributed by Kim England at Pearson:

Mini Rough Guide to Neo

It is not specific to Advocate training, but is an excellent, model resource for employee training.

1 person found this helpful
                  england_k

Melissa - I have just loaded our Neo Launch Video too Pearson Always Learning - Launch Video (Dino)

We focused on the early adopter model, we had 700 to start off with and they helped us through our Beta testing phase, created content from scratch so when we launched there was actually a thriving community, raised questions or challenges around training; this meant we could address this issues up front before the hard launch and finally they invited their friends so our community grew virally.

I am doing a WebEx with Jive about our launch in early December I will keep you posted about dates if you are interested to learn more.

jemjanik

I like you started with people who were an obvious choice as advocates.  Initially I started the group, and created some of the communications like Trisha mentioned answering the questions on awareness, understanding, implementation & what it means for the company + them indivisually & what's next.  I also created material to help them justify being an advocate and spending time so that if challenged they had quick easy responses.

Our community took off on us so luckily our advocates jumped right in.  Now over time the advocates get early access to anything forward looking I can provide:  jive webcasts, jive betas, access to our UAT environment to learn new features, etc.  Typically they do some of the UAT testing to get familiar too.  They volunteer to do a webinar once a year on either a part of how to use the platform, showing a use case, or teaching about a general social concept.  I wish I had budget to thank them more.  They get a special icon, all the early access, and my unending gratitude.

We've added new advocates by having either the old ones nominate someone or someone requesting & the current advocates vote on it (based on behaviors we've seen).