8 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 9:00 AM by tmaurer

Pointers on stopping OOMs?

tmaurer

We just added Ideation a short while ago. One of the things we've noticed is that when people post a new idea, they get out of office messages from anyone watching the group where the idea was posted. I don't recall getting these for discussion posts, document posts, etc.

Is there somewhere in the Admin Console to control this? Or some other mechanism that someone is aware of? Kind of annoying, and we don't want to annoy people who are posting ideas. 

• Re: Pointers on stopping OOMs?
          russell.pearson

This filter was suggested by a couple of peeps in the Council:

add a system property:

checkmail.outOfOfficeRegex = (out of office)|(autoreply)|(auto-reply)|(auto reply)|(out of the office)|(outofoffice)|(OutOfOffice)|(Out of Office:)|(Out of Office)

Not sure if it will work on Ideas but it should do

tmaurer

Have that set already. I think that stops them from getting posted into the Jive system. What I'm trying to stop is having them sent to people who post content or comments. The way the Jive system works, some content uses the email address of the individual posting as the "from" address, so replies go to that person directly. Apparently in 4.5.7, they made a change so ALL content works that way. Didn't realize the side-effect. I got an email from a support engineer on Friday when they discovered it. I'll let you know what more I hear. And thanks, Russell!

pmccarthy

Hi guys.

This is how our's is currently setup and it appears to avoid all the noise we used to get with OOMs.  Hope it helps.

sys_properties_oom.png

Just noticed what you wrote about how the poster receives the notifications anyway in later versions.  That wouldn't be fun.

nilsbolsen

Hey Paul,

can you paste the regex in plain text, please?

best regards,

Nils

pmccarthy

Hey Nils,

That would've been helpful had I done that in the first place.  Here's the text.

([Oo][Oo][Oo])|([Oo]ut [Oo]f [Oo]ffice)|([Aa]utoreply)|([Aa]uto-reply)|([Aa]uto reply)|([Oo]ut [Oo]f the [Oo]ffice)|(ooo)|([Vv]acation alert)|(day off)|([Vv]acation)|([Rr]equire [Ii]mmediate)|([Oo][Oo][Oo])|([Oo]ut [Oo]f [Tt]he [Cc]ountry)|([Uu]rgent [Ii]ssue)|([Tt]raveling [Oo]n [Bb]usiness)|([Tt]ravelling [Oo]n [Bb]usiness)|([Mm]aternity)

Added it to the main one and the body property as well since sometimes people don't put them in the subject line.

GinoRossi

Nice & thanks for sharing Paul.

I've had this issue as well .. I'll try this out.

tmaurer

Josh Lechbee in support has created a phenomenal Regex file that accommodates upper and lowercase letters in virtually any position, as well as accounting for a variety of different twists on wording. Basically, he used what we had (which was very similar to what Paul posted above), and then analyzed the other OOMs that we were getting posted after our 5.0 launch. I'd suggest connecting with him via your supportal and see if you can cop that. I've also suggested they have that as an OOTB pre-set.

Please note: As far as I know, this still only keeps out of office messages from posting to the community. It does not address people who have created content from getting the out of office messages delivered to them in their own inboxes. Don't think there is a good way around that.

tmaurer

I've just updated outs to use your format just in case this really is the issue. Not sure if it will work, obviously, but thanks for the information. I'll let you know what I find.