2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 11:45 AM by Claudine

Do you have multiple communities with different branding and one instance?

Renee.Harper

We are in a position to grow our community from just support-oriented communities to a mixture of a support community and thought-leader community.  I know I can theme them differently, but I'm not sure how far I can take the theming differences.  I'm also worried about the user experience within the overall site.  Have you successfully had more than one theme and brand on a site?  Are these differently themed spaces available 'publicly' to your user base?

Notes:  we are running 4.5 and have not yet applied any grand theme.  We are running basically right out of the box.

• Re: Do you have multiple communities with different branding and one instance?

Hi Renee,

We recently launched two new customer-facing Communities off of one Jive instance. Since January 2011, our HomeAway Community has been geared towards owners of vacation rental properties.

About three months ago, we launched a Traveler Community, aimed at folks who are interested in renting vacation homes. And finally, last week, we launched a Property Manager Community for people who manage one or more vacation homes.

As you can see, all three Communities are accessible from the upper left corner of our nav. We also ask people to self-identify (as an owner, traveler, or property manager) on their profile page when they join the Community, and this becomes their default when they return to the Community.

Because these new Communities are relatively new, we're still collecting user data to figure out how - and where - we can improve the U.I. experience. We also haven't done much in the way of distinguishing the three Communities (at least from a brand perspective) since the biggest difference is the audience - not the brand.

I'd be happy to talk more about our experiences rolling out new communities off the same Jive instance, or answer any specific questions you have. In the meantime, best of luck growing your Community....

Laura

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Do you have multiple communities with different branding and one instance?
            Claudine

Hi Renee,

We have multiple spaces, each with a different theme. Have a look at these sites/spaces, all within the same instance and all public:

·         The Executive Blog<http://communities.quest.com/community/executive-blog>

·         Foglight<http://communities.quest.com/community/foglight/>

·         LiteSpeed for SQL Server<http://communities.quest.com/community/litespeed>

We aim to apply a custom theme to each new space we add on. The 3 examples listed here are the quite unique.

Claudine

1 person found this helpful