19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 12:10 PM by John Schwiller

LinkedIn and 5.0.1

John Schwiller

Just setting up 5.0.1 to pull in LinkedIn profiles to Jive profiles.

Raised a case on Jive who have to setup:

Hi Tyler

Globally we are Logica on LinkedIn.

http://www.linkedin.com/company/2347?trk=tyah

However this raises another interesting issue - as our Jive is multi-country and our staff will be on LinkedIn against multiple entries is there not a one-to-many mapping capability or does this need an idea raised?

The other big group of users are in:

Logica UK is :

http://www.linkedin.com/company/16951?trk=tyah

Best

John

Answer back from Tyler - we have never encountered the need for that.

Wonder if globally all UBMers and CSCers are in a single LinkedIn company? If not then worth raising an idea or at least a discussion to see the magnitude of the problem.

Message was edited by: John Schwiller - added Simon in.

• LinkedIn and 5.0.1
          tmaurer

Yes, there are multiple companies in LinkedIn for people working at UBM. I specifically know that PR Newswire has its own LinkedIn presence. As as far as what company you'd list yourself working for in LinkedIn, it would vary. Actually on LinkedIn itself it is a bit confusing. If I say my relationship is as a coworker, LinkedIn wants to know when I actually worked at that specific company and in what role.

• Re: LinkedIn and 5.0.1
            John Schwiller

Stand down. I added Tyler to this discussion.

tyler.whitesides

Hello,

Our engineers believe that it should not be a problem.  However, if there are multiple email domains involved it could pose a problem.  I have been given the information for our contact with LinkedIn.  I am reaching out to LinkedIn tomorrow to discuss this with them and see what needs to be done to accommodate this scenario.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I should be updating this case tomorrow.

John- I moved your original case thread to be private as I will be sharing an API key with you there

Thanks,

Tyler

John Schwiller

Fortunately Logica has a single email domain even though several LinkedIn companies.

However we have prospects and customers on the instance from other organisations with both other LI orgs and other email domains. Worth discussing with Olivia re Engage Partners as may be useful for LI integration to work for partners too?

• LinkedIn and 5.0.1
                  sscullion

Thanks for the heads up John, we've not got to this, not yet being on 5.

Yes, we are in the same boat, multiple LI companies, and potentially multiple email domains.

tyler.whitesides

Hello,

I have just sent in a ticket to LinkedIn to get the questions answered on this.  They don't have an SLA like Jive does, but they generally get back to us within a day or two.  I will follow up on this as soon as I can.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tyler

John Schwiller

We now have basic LI integration working:

linkedin.jpg

However so far when I try to look at colleagues profiles I see:

linkedin colleague.jpg

Have fired a number of questions at LI.

John Schwiller

Hi Tyler

Dont think your hard work on this, along with Eric at LI has gone un-noticed

An email I just got from Eric:

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback.

In the first version of the Employee Profile widget we went with a conservative privacy approach which requires each user to opt-in to share their profile with other employees. That is why you see the "Remind" state for other users initially until they go to Jive and Sign In to the widget.  Clicking Remind sends max one email to that user informing them to opt in.  In a future release we will add the ability to auto opt-in all users with the whitelisted email domain(s).

I created a Linkedin Group and invited you both.  Let's use this as the forum to discuss enhancement requests and resolve common issues.

The EPW can support as many email domains for various companies as you like for the same API key. For Logica we whitelisted the following email domains:  logica.com, yum.com, ubm.com, and baesystems.com

We can't however support multiple company Ids yet.  This impacts the # of connections we show for the user at that company, the total # of employees on LinkedIn and the company landing page on Linkedin.com.  We can add this to the feature request list.  In the mean time Jive could implement a way to pass the appropriate company ID based on the viewer/viewee combination.  E.g. If the viewee works at company A, and the viewer works at company B you could choose to send the company ID for A when viewing employees at company A.

Cheers,

Eric

erskine

Thanks for bringing me into the conversation. Unfortunately our hands are somewhat tied when it comes to the capabilities of this widget. It is technically an iframe to which we pass the user's email and the company id. It is up to LI to process this information and display the actual content. It is super helpful for you to be reaching out to them, though - it helps us make the case for a more fully-featured integration. Please keep it up!

1 person found this helpful
                            John Schwiller

Tracy Maurer I've created an account for you on our 5.0.1 instance so that after authorising your profile on that instance we can see multiple email domains working with a single LI API - if you are willing to test this out

John Schwiller

Mail to Eric at LI:

Hi Eric

Re the widget reminder:

linkedin reminder.jpg

I think this would be a bit clearer if you added at the end   “… add their company email and authorise Jive to access company LinkedIn profiles.  “

And in the actual reminder email:

Dear Tracy,

Your colleague John Schwiller wants to view your LinkedIn profile.

Enable work colleagues to view your LinkedIn profile by adding and confirming your work email address and authorising Jive to access company LinkedIn profiles. This will also grant you access to view other employee LinkedIn profiles.

Adding your work email does not change the primary email you have registered with LinkedIn for notification purposes.

You also might want to say “selected company LinkedIn profiles” ? meaning the whitelisted ones.

And just FYI I haven’t had an invite to the LI group you mentioned yet.

John Schwiller

Hmmm trying to open up this private discussion to everyone but can't see how

tyler.whitesides

Hello John,

To make this public we just need to move it to another container that people can see.  A private discussion resides in your personal user container, and only allows people in who have been listed as recipients.  I can move this for you.  What space would you like it in?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tyler

John Schwiller

Sure I realise that and already tested - however see my comment to Ryan on:

https://community.jivesoftware.com/ideas/2358   (but beware if that link ends up 'doubled up')

Still seems inconsistent to me in that a Doc in My docs can have everyone access. Seems a bit perverse that a discussion cant have an everyone setting.

I'll move this somewhere later when I have time

Edit: oh it's already public I put it back after the test.

It's odd what it does as a while ago I tested moving a doc with specified readership from private to an open group in the hope that the access controls would 'stick' (was trying to prove a point to myself) but when I moved it back they had been stripped on the move to the open group - hence I was surprised that these named users were still there when I moved the discussion back to my discussions. Don't loose any sleep over it though.