3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 8:31 AM by mdcrocker

How have you  encouraged folks to return and mark answer as correct?

Hi,

One of the behaviors I see with a support community is that people are not returning to let us know if the answer was correct/helpful or if they tried another route.  What have you done that helps to change the behavior?  My guess is that this is part of the work to shift the thinking about a support community from the typical emergency room (come in, get fixed, get out) to a wellness center (visit to share information and work on improving).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

• Re: How have you  encouraged folks to return and mark answer as correct?
          daniel.marotta

Hi Mike,

Do you have community support documentation indicating how members can earn more points? Or the importance of gaining status and reputation? These two things tied to a reward system (tangible or intangible) would encourage members to revisit their threads and mar them as such.

-Dan

mnevill

We were consulted by Jive on this and told that one approach is to have SMEs monitor all of the unanswered questions and then mark them as assumed answered if the user doesn't within a reasonable amount of time.  The SME would have to know the topic well enough to make the call on if a sufficient solution was given before doing so.  The problem of course is this is more work for the SMEs and not really fixing the issue of the end users not doing their part.  Maybe if they see selecting answers as correct and helpful is modeled by all the other posts they will follow suit.  I will be interested to see if anyone has a good approach to motivate the end users.  Would it help for them to get more points for returning and selecting an answer or would that pose a risk to the integrity of the point system?  Would more points really matter to the users that only come once in a blue moon to ask a question?

Thanks,
            Matt

Hi,

Yes, as a clean up measure I am asking the SME to mark them as assumed answered if they sit for a month.  To get folks to think about this and highlight the changes, we are looking at selecting one person a month that is coming back an marking them.  We would add a recognition box and give them a T-shirt.  We would also do the same for the folks providing a correct answer.  We can also highlight our Support Community Champion program and the fact that we use the points ( and the activity associated) to select them.

Gamification reminds us that it is not the points, badges, or prize which change long term behavior.

Mike