3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 3:53 PM by mdcrocker

sharing sensative information

mnevill

We will have an external support community and anticipate the need to sometimes see a user's unfiltered configuration files, network diagrams, etc in order to help them.  The information we need is usually sensitive and should be kept private but we may not always want to route them to our separate ticketing system in order to get what we need to supply an answer on their post.  Has anyone used private messages, direct messages, or private discussions in order to interact with a user like this?  I read several threads where some people complained about direct messages and private messages resulting in spam.  We disabled private messages and used the new feature in 5.0 to require a connection before direct messages can be sent to be proactive.  The problem is that our support staff is not going to friend every user in the community, and messages do not allow attachments anyway.  The private discussion feature seems to be a good option for us as it can be sent from anyone to anyone and includes the ability to attach a file.  I'm not sure if it has the same spam risk as private messages or not, but we decided to leave those enabled and will disable them later only if we start to have spam problems.  I know you can upload a document to your personal folder via the Create menu, but we have that particular option disabled in our theming currently.  We could revert that if it is the best route to take.  Has anyone used any of these methods with some success?

Thanks,
      Matt

• Re: sharing sensative information

Hi,

How much traffic do you anticipate for this?  One way would be to set up a moderated area and have someone monitor it.  The moderator and owner would see the item.  The moderator can move it to an area where the support team has access, then approve publishing it.

Just need to set permissions and make sure the moderator does not publish in that area.

Mike

mnevill

Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I am not sure on the volume yet.  I think for many posts we can help them without the info, for others we can ask them to strip it out first, and for some cases we will need it with sensative information included. I will have a better pulse once we get going.  I saw where you can enable moderation on content types within a specific space, but I did not see how to make sure the moderator does not publish in that area via permissions. 

Thanks,
              Matt

Hi,

You would need to train the moderator to move the item first and then publish.   The permissions would just control who can add content. The other nice thing is that you can save as PDF and then attach it if need to move into a formal ticketing system.

Mike