6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2012 5:52 AM by Lauren Hickey RSS

Having issues with this...

Lauren Hickey

I recently completed a HUGE migration, we migrated the Verizon Wireless Community from Lithium to Jive 5.0. The migration went great and Jive ROCKS and I am elated with the new platform but I am having trouble with some of my members, little over 50% of them (AHHH) enjoying the new diggs. The complaints are either there are too many ways to get to content, or where is content, or how come we werent informed...when of course we have provided answers to all of these prior to and after launch.

Any ideas on how to get a group of members comfortable and set in their ways excited about a NON-antiquated platform that doesn't have dust on it?? I mean of course all they did when we were on the Lithium platform was complain about it and how old it was so I know we are never going to please everyone but I wish there was some sort of migration packet of all the cool things Jive offers and Jive can do that Lithium doesn't! Maybe that is what I need, although Ive put out posts and posts with screen shots of how cool this is and where they can find that and still almost 100% of my current content is negative regarding the migration outside of my super users and even some of them are having a hard time with this...

Any advice, suggestions, other members that have completed Lithium migrations, anything at all would be really helpful and much appreciated!!!

-Lauren

• Re: Having issues with this...
          mdcrocker

Hi,

Take the complaints and problems reported on the old system and create a short “You ask for it and we listened” video and document.  Point out how the new implementation solves or eliminates those issues.   Make sure the focus is on getting their work done in a better way.

Mike

JohnSchwiller

Did you buy Rick Palmer 's

Training Videos and Quickstart Guides

https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-7890

Not custom but very nugget-like and quick to use. I've got them loaded

And if anyone call's you a brat Ryan will send Giggles the Gorilla  round

Claire Flanagan

Ok, here's my quick ideas . . .

1. No matter how awesome your written documentation may be - you have to know (as a communicator) that a large percent of your audience will NOT read the help doc. So what do you do? You need to plan a multi-media approach to a change as significant as this:
                1. have videos (short videos) ready
                2. Ask members to post why they like the new system
                3. RUN WEB MEETING CALLS for people to join - and offer a lot of them - at different times where you walk your users through the top 10 things they need to know. The hands on delivery and demo will help a portion of your audience hear, understand and retain more effectively
                4. Ask folks to log problems in a defined thread and ask them to provide screen captures or examples (be sure you watch this and answer their issues or questions - you will learn some 'unintended' uses (things you didn't consider) or real problems you need to help or log as tickets
              2. Be comfortable with the anxiety
                • if you do all the things above, and you do it well, then be comfortable with some amount of "this sucks" conversation
                • Watch the conversation - DON'T answer every post - answer the ones that you have to - and let it sit and be vibrant among the community
                • ANY org change professional will tell you that conversation like that is natural and needs to happen. Don't feel like you need 100% positive or approval. But do watch and analyze.
                  • Think about whether you need to call people offline and get more input on their concerns. Maybe you missed something. Maybe they need to be heard. Maybe they have good input you didn't think about.
                  • Be comfortable  when it's ok to "ROI" (return on ignoring). But don't invoke ROI unless you have the right reason to - and you've done all the other things above.

Good luck - a few very quick thoughts to help.

(By the way, there's some data I have somewhere about "learning preferences" and styles somewhere that supports my point #1 - I just can't put my finger on it right now. But it says something like - plan comms to address all learning styles - and then plan the right repetition to address "retention" of big change.)

Kris Pratico

One of the things that worked very well for us was to hold regular voice of customer (VOC) calls with our users, where you actively solicit their feedback.  We conducted these sessions on a monthly basis, and initially started with a smaller group of active clients and then gradually pulled in a larger audience.  We took their feedback and used it to implement improvements to the layout of the community.  This had a few different benefits.  First, it required the users to pinpoint exactly what it was that they didn't like about the new site, rather than just complain about the change.  Often times we heard "it's too hard to find information."  So we asked for ways they would recommend improving the community.  In some cases, we created document directories - a single Jive document that provides links out to various documents/videos/events that pertain to a specific subject.  We featured these directories on the Overview Tab in the community.  It was a really simple fix, and the directories were highly effective.  Now, as new information is posted we simply add a new link within the directory.  In other situations, the feedback we received uncovered the need for more training.  That pushed us to create quick video tutorials (recording uses WebEx) that reviewed various search techniques.  We kept the videos short and sweet, so users were more apt to view them.   

We also made a point to tell and show the users what improvements we implemented based on their feedback.  When users feel like they are part of the solution, it definitely helps sway them to a more positive perception of their new community.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your new community!

Kris Pratico

Allscripts

• Having issues with this...
                  Lauren Hickey

These are all really great suggestions!! Thank you all for taking out some time to help a fellow CM out!!