7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 9:12 AM by tmaurer

Like Button

bbomely

The "like" functionality doesn't seem to be utilized much in our communities and we are looking for ways to promote it.  One of the first things we are going to do is ask our community managers to put the "top-liked" widget on their home pages.  I think that will help.

Any ideas on how we can encourage our users to utilize the button more?

• Re: Like Button

What purpose does the button serve?  Is that known and valued by folks?  If I like your post is that just a short cut to adding a reply that says "I like this"?  I think promoting the value will get you more action than a widget with a few random items.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
              tmaurer

I agree that for some community members, it will be important to focus on the value. But some people will immediately get it. Something to keep in mind when talking to your community managers about adding the widget is to explain that it can be configured. You can set the time range, for example. Is it most important to see the all-time most liked content, or the most recently top liked content? The answers may well differ based on the individual group or space.

1 person found this helpful
                  bbomely

Thanks you for your feedback  The question came up from one our our top participants as to whether or not we should promote the use of the button.  It is rarely used on our communities and he was looking for ways to promote it -- if in fact there was any value in doing so.  I have a meeting coming up where we can discuss it more as a team.

tmaurer

IMO, many people like to use it as a way to gauge the usefulness of content, or to see what other people are finding value in. Having an easy way to find content that gets liked gives them more reason to actual use the feature, so it becomes a virtuous circle. From a content creator standpoint, I find it useful to show me which content people like most. And for people who are cautious about posting content, getting a few likes can give them the positive feedback they need to venture another post.

Bruce127

Does Liked content affect the recommendation engine, trending content and etc?  Knowing how Jive uses it - we are on Jive 5 - would be useful.