7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 3:53 PM by mavital

Misplaced Content - to move or not to move?

mavital

Would like to get others' opinion on this...

We have a Getting Started space that we direct all new users to, as it's the place to get training, ask questions, learn from others, etc. It's meant to be used specifically for questions/discussions/issues related to our instance of Jive.

We also have a Water Cooler space for general discussions, questions, conversations, documents, what-have-you. Kind of a catch-all space for anything that isn't strictly work related.

What I've been seeing is that people are putting content in the Getting Started space that should be rights be in the Water Cooler space. Presumably because they're more aware of the Getting Started space, and they're new to using this tool, so they just do the first thing they think of.

Now, I'm THRILLED that they're actually doing stuff in the tool, so that's not the issue. What I'd like to know is what you guys think is best practice around moving this content:

• Do I, as the system admin, unilaterally move it to the Water Cooler space without notifying the owners of the content, and assume they won't notice and/or care and the conversation will continue?
      • Do I reach out to them personally and ask them to move it and explain why? The "teach a man to fish" approach.
      • Do I post a comment on the content itself, telling them it's best to move it and why?
      • Do I just leave it and let the conversation continue as is?

My issue is that on the one hand, I want to make sure content is organized appropriately (for many reasons, I'm pedantic), but on the other hand I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and discourage them from using it because they think they're being chided for doing something wrong.

I can't be the only one running into this issue, what have you guys done?