16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 9:27 AM by ellenfeaheny

Jive as a document management system? (Version Control?)

dsacks

Has anyone successfully used Jive as a document management system? If so, how?

We are potentially looking to use it as one, but are weighing whether it has robust enough document version control and management. We have Jive v5.0.1 and use Jive Connects for Microsoft Office as well.

And, to answer your question in advance, no, we do not have Sharepoint at our organization. Thanks for your help.

• Re: Jive as a document management system? (Version Control?)
          sbrown

I don't believe Jive endorses SBS as a document management system per se. However, it seems to pair nicely with Alfresco CMS, which we are going to look at as a possible replacement to our current CMS.

1 person found this helpful
              dsacks

I know Jive certainly doesn't tout its document management capabilities. But, just wondering if people have used it as such. We don't really have a great content or document management system at our organization and are looking to potentially use Jive as our Intranet. If we do this, however, we need to be able to effectively manage documents (version control, check in/check out, etc.) so our business units will want to migrate their sites over. (From their perspective, it's work and resources, even though Jive is easier to use and better!) I don't think we have plans to purchase a CMS/DMS in the near future either.

sbrown

Maybe to a certain degree as I can see how it would be very easy for people to use it as a CMS. That said, you would be lacking all the safeguards a CMS has to offer, i.e. versioning, check in/out, archiving, yadda yadda yadda. Probably most important, if you rely on "Gold Standard" content, without a management system, you could theoretically have mutiple iterations of content, which can be dangerous. I suppose if you are a small company, you could make good use of categories, MS Connector, and strict rules governing how content is created, updated, etc. If you are a regulated industry, I'd not recommend it.

Ryan Rutan

To chime in a bit here to qualify Tracy's statement a bit, that is exactly why I made the Document Lock plugin.  Jive does not try to be an CMS, so there are functional gaps when you look at feature sets for CMS platforms and apply them to Jive.  Same goes for applying social requirements to the CMS space.  It is Apples and Oranges. 

That being said, there are many companies out there who need simple content management features, of which Jive supports, or can be supplemented with social orchestration to acheive similar success and end-goals.  For those people, investment in an entirely separate software stack is very cost prohibitive.  Hence the Document Lock - Plugin, it gives the people the power to synchronize and communicate status with one another, which is the largest and most fundamental issue that drives people to the check-in/check-out paradigm that exists in most CMS systems.  To Scott Brown's point, what happens if you need more than that?  This is why Jive has partnered with Alfresco.  It is popular, powerful, and versatile CMS platform that works well in and with the Jive ecosystem. For companies who already have an established CMS platform, this isn't as big a discussion since the CMS platform has already been established, what's left is ... how do I socialize my CMS platform?  And that's where Jive's bevvy of integration points come into play whether it be the Jive Core API, Jive WebServices, and/or Jive Apps.

Hope this was helpful =)

dsacks

Thanks everyone for your responses. Very good points to consider.

Quick question for Ryan Rutan, can you use the Jive Connects with Microsoft Office app with the Document Lock Plug-In? Thanks, Debbie

Ryan Rutan

So the answer is Yes and No.  When I wrote the plugin, I was working at a company that had both the Office plugin and DocLock deployed...so they are not mutually exclusive.  What doesn't work is "honoring of a lock" in the office plugin, doing so would be a very customizable solution and less of a plugin.  What I did do though, was create a "Lock Stomp" email, such that if a User subverts another user's explicit lock for any reason, both the stomper and stompee are notified so they can reconcile their differences.  It's not perfect, but once again...awareness and means to synchronize was the primary goal...with a minimal fail safe in place to catch occurrences when it is apparent there was a communication breakdown.  =)

RichardRashty

Are you asking about Document management or content management ?

Two very different topics albiet closely related.  Document management revolves around document sharing, syncronous or asyncronous document collaboration, version control, workflows\approvals, etc.  Content management is a larger "animal", that follows the content lifecycle for multiple content types, master repository models, and metadata for such content..and other stuff.

nbussard

Has anyone used the Box app with Jive? We are about to start our SharePoint integration, which will satisfy the needs of our internal folks curating large libraries. However, we have a slightly different need for our consultants. They are on the road a lot, have a huge variety of devices and platforms from which they access content, and basically need a simple, always-synced way to manage documents. Jive offers most of what they need, with basic versioning, permissions based on groups, etc., but does not provide the critical auto-sync nor bulk actions (upload, download, move, delete, etc.). It looks like Box has all of these things, but also some overlap with Jive, such as commenting on the document and creating tasks. I'm trying to imagine what the integration looks like and whether it is working for anyone.

dsacks

Aha Richard! You found me out. I was probably a little vague in my original question because what we would like is a good content and document management system (in Jive of course). Yes, I realize Jive is all about collaboration, I was really just curious how others manage documents within Jive since we don't have a back-end solution/repository here.

RichardRashty

In JIVE, I have used custom catagories to help define what content is linked to within the platform, aligning to my companies requirements.  Then using tags along with catagories can at least begin to assemble some formal structure to the content stored on the JIVE platform, which is really good at un-structured content...

kgladstone

We are in the Cloud and I do not believe that allows us the use of Plug-ins.  We could really use a version control for content.  It could be as simple as the making the "marked as Final" lock the document to the most current version for everyone except the author and/or person who finalyzed the document.  Another option would be to have a choice of "marked as Archived".

Of course, this will take end users some time to get use to marking their documents appropriately. 

Thoughts?

ellenfeaheny

Hi Kathleen

Are you wanting the documents inside Jive (jive DMS native) or accessing and using docs inside, but pulled from an existing doc management system - maybe Box Business or DropBox Business or Alfresco or SkyDrive or Google Drive or SugarSync or Sharepoint or or or or .. Tons of flavors ..

Jive has a Sharepoint and Box integrations .. And we (AppFusions) have a lot of experience building DMS packaged integrations and Jive and happy to make some more for you and all Jive customers.

In short, features like access, view, folder views, embed, download local, search the doc repo, etc... all from Jive.

Love to explore more for you and more, deliver this.

Email me at Ellen@appfusions.com if your like more details ..

Ellen

Sent from my iPhone