9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 10:23 AM by Melissa.Rosen

Moving content from Confluence - how to set up a group with many "sub-areas"?

Melissa.Rosen

HI!

We will be rolling out Jive starting in early May, and we will not be offering any automatic migration of content for various (and perhaps obvious) reasons. That said, I am thinking through the recommendations I will need to make to folks, in terms of "this is how you did it in Confluence", and "this is how I recommend you do it in Jive". Some of these comparisons are obvious to me, some not so much-- still coming up the learning curve, and trying not to fall back into my old way of thinking while I'm at it. Soooo. . . .

I have a number of teams and communities who have set up their current Confluence space as follows:  There is a menubar at the top of the home page with links-- each link takes you to a set of pages within the same space. This set of pages is the sub-LOB's "area" to add content, etc.

example of Confl space.jpg

In Jive, we will only be allowing these teams and communities to use Groups. It is my understanding that Groups live independently, so you don't really create sub-groups (plus no pagetree hierarchy), which means their old way of doing things won't exactly translate.  In some ways that might be a good thing .  So, I am trying to picture what to recommend to these folks-- Any and all ideas welcome!

• Re: Moving content from Confluence - how to set up a group with many "sub-areas"?

Question is how dependent are these LOBs?  If they need to have a dashboard rollup page, then community with sub-space works well.  Also if you try to change the behaviors too much, you get resistance to change.   One of the main advance with collaboration is that I see what is going on outside my silo.  If they are all separate groups, that can encourage small silos. 

Of course there is the related groups widget but that is selected by the system.  Watch a tag could be used to connect them if you make sure all the content gets tagged.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Moving content from Confluence - how to set up a group with many "sub-areas"?
            Andrew Kratz

We had success leveraging projects as a sort of "sub-group" if you don't want to go the spaces route.  You could either use the standard widget that lists the projects or use a widget such as "formatted text", "HTML" or "view a doc" to have a customized look and feel (such as your LOB images) to link to those "sub-groups" which are really projects.

nbussard

The Group>Project approach has worked well for us. However, I find that usually what is needed is a huge amount of education for the users wishing to create a hierarchy. The hierarchical folder structure is the way most people have been organizing online information basically forever, and it's very difficult for people to overcome this feeling that everything needs to be in a parent-child relationship. However, it's essential to do so in order to use Jive effectively. In educating people, I usually find that it helps to point out existing non-hierarchical relationships that already exist and make sense to people; e.g., Google, Amazon, eBay and Facebook are all on the internet, but they are not parents or children to each other. But that doesn't mean they are lost forever.

A couple of other tricks to have in your back pocket:

- Create a sample "parent" group with "children" groups. Link them together using hard-coded links in the Formatted Text widget that you place in the same position on every group. Once people see this, they are usually satisfied that the rest of the world will understand the relationship among their groups and the need for a url like /parentgroup/childgroup/grandchildgroup will dissipate.

- Show how content can be all placed in a single group and navigated using categories. Many times categories can be substitutes for sub-groups if the purpose was to simple create a container for like content.

Good luck.

Nikki

Melissa.Rosen

thanks everyone for your comments! this has been quite helpful. I had not thought of using projects as if they were sub-groups. I think after hearing all these ideas, I will first try to educate and persuade them to take a different approach - I think if I ask them first what they are trying to solve for and then show how they can use Jive in that way, that in the long run they'll be happier with what they've created. I will keep the "projects as sub-groups" in my back pocket, though, in case I am unable to persuade!

lindsay

I've been working closely with our wiki users over the past few months and have recently kick-started a larger migration campaign. What I've found incredibly effective is finding out how the user's team works and uses their wiki/other communication tools before we even start talking about the nitty-gritty of how they can achieve the same thing in Jive. Without this, a lot of them tend to focus on the fact that they don't have the parent-child relationships in Jive (and that all their wiki pages will presumably be documents). Once I help them understand how Jive can help their teams work together and how it's more than a content repository full of parent-child documents and spaces squirreled away in a huge tree, our conversations are a lot more successful.

Here are some of the tips I give them, on top of what's already been mentioned:

• The search and filter on the content tab of your group is really powerful. Think of your wiki as being like outlook and Jive is like gmail - you can have a mass of folders in outlook and meticulously sort your emails, or you can use labels and search in gmail. Emails in outlook can only live in one folder, but in gmail, an email can have more than one label and is easily surfaced by search. I also ask them to think about how many times they've set up complicated folders on their computer and then had a hard time finding a document again. Though the content is flat in Jive, a combination of categories, tags, and search/filtering can always get you where you want to go.
                  • Before you migrate your content, decide how you'd like to use a combination of categories and tags in Jive to help people find your content. This is generally easier for our wiki users because of Confluence's labels and it's key to keeping different groups together. I also point out that tagging their content will help Jive recommend content and people to them and increase the chance of serendipitous discovery across the organization, which Confluence definitely doesn't do. Some of our users who are in the process of their move have really fallen in love with this!
                  • You can create table of contents documents to jump people to different documents or groups, or even different views of filtered/sorted content in the content tab.

This is extra, but the QuickTemplates Plugin has also been really helpful for our template-loving wiki users.

Hope this helps!