7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 10:50 AM by ErinLouise

Is anyone using Fathom Pro for social monitoring?

Emilie

I've been a huge advocate for the application. There's other social media monitoring tools out there, but NI sees tremendous value in using a Jive App that is integrated with our internal employee community. It greatly enhances productivity for social media monitoring and response.

But lately, we've been experiencing more and more buggy behavior and we can't quite put our finger on what's causing it. I was wondering if anyone else out there uses Fathom Pro on their internal community.

If so, do you host your internal community on your own servers or is it hosted by Jive? I have a theory of what might be causing this behavior based on our configuration hosts.

If not, I'd still like to hear from you. It would be nice to form a short list of similar users of the app so we can share best practices.

Thanks,

Emilie

• Re: Is anyone using Fathom Pro for social monitoring?
          ErinLouise

Hello, I've just started to use this app and was wondering if you had any advice on configuring the Fathom Pro app. I want to monitor ALL posts on my Facebook page not just ones that mention a specific word. DO you use any other products to do social media monitoring like Hootsuite?

Emilie

If I recall correctly, if you sync the your Facebook page with Fathom Pro, I think it brings in all new posts from your wall. Is this not the case?

We don't use any other social listening tools unless we need to listen to a platform currently not supported by Fathom. Examples: LinkedIn and Google+. We do manual searches and subscriptions to stay updated on these, which is not ideal. Hoping integration for these are added soon.

For instance:

Fathom to crawl LinkedIn public groups

ErinLouise

I was under the impression that was true. (link up accounts and all new posts would display) but I have been unable to do so. I set up monitors using a source and I get a bunch of random FB posts and only a few from my source page. I created a support case but have not yet heard back. By any chance would you share a screen shot of one of your monitors?

Emilie

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure there is a view dedicated to all Facebook posts, regardless of keyword. I can filter the source, but that still assumes the keywords I've set up in the monitor.

I'd push on the support case you opened to get a confirmed answer. Don't be afraid to bump the conversation again. I've had the same experience myself. I know that a bunch of the support guys aren't immediately familiar with the Fathom Pro app, but it shouldn't take long for them to get up to speed, or to escalate the issue to the Fathom product managers.

Please let me know what they say. I'm wondering if we've just relied on the keyword searches to account for all new FB posts to our wall.

ErinLouise

Thanks for the advice. I would think users would want to see ALL post on their pages. With searches alone you are going to miss so many page posts. How can you predict what fans will post? We use Hootsuite now for FB & twitter and it captures all posts to our pages, profiles etc...

Any recommendations for search terms? I've been experimenting but my results have been really poor so far.

Emilie

In all honesty, it took quite some time (3 weeks in the tool) to master the filter options for the mention feeds. It will all depend on what you are looking for.

At NI, we actively monitor all mentions of our main corporate brands on the social web using Fathom: National Instruments, LabVIEW (our flagship product) and NIWeek (our annual user event). We've had to apply a variety of filters and include a variety of terms in order to get these mention feeds to a point where we're looking at mostly-relevant data.

And I constantly update our search terms. It's an ongoing process. I'm adding filters that keep out the twitter bots and spammers, as well as adding keywords that include various amalgamations of our brand.

I'm also heavily using Blocked Sites functionality to keep out the trash.

Does this help?

I'm also happy to have a chat in person. I'd love to hear more about how you intend to use the tool. If you have time next week, perhaps we set up a call?

ErinLouise

I'd love to chat with you! We are a school so its been hard to choose the correct set of search terms to use. We offer over 160 programs. Our students come to our social sites for assistance with their accounts, payments & advice. They are also asking questions about all of our programs. The searches I've experimented with either show nothing, spam or maybe a few actual posts related to our sites. We strive to answer every single post from current prospective & alumni students. I'm still waiting to hear back from Jive. There should be a space for Fathom Pro here on the community. We are set to launch our new community in about a month and I need to have everything ready for then so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'll start a private discussion and send you my contact info