4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 10:29 AM by hberes RSS

Federated Groups

hberes

Anyone have success leveraging the 'federated' group designations in custom plugin/overlay development?

I'm working on a custom group manager and looking through the group-related classes.  The DbGroup class is the mechanism to transport groups to/from the database (whether it's being federated from LDAP, etc. or natively in the database).  While the class has a 'federated' attribute that is used in a variety of places, the jiveGroup table does not have a 'federated' column.  Tracing through the DAO makes it clear this is never saved to the database (and never mapped back to the DbGroup class when the group is retrieved).

Unless I'm missing something the federated designation on a group is pointless and never persisted.  Why code still checks the federated flag on groups is a bit puzzling.  I'm not eager to update the data model and extend the DAO to properly save the federated attribute.  Maybe someone out here knows a little history on this federated attribute.

• Re: Federated Groups
          Ryan Rutan

Let me escalate this to someone internally and see what I can find out.  This code add has been around for quite sometime and working, so doubtful a recent change was made, but I could be mistaken.  Will be early next week before I get a response due to holidays.

Will let you know what I find out

hberes

That'd be great.  Thanks.

Ryan Rutan

Got a response back, and apparently this piece of functionality is a piece of legacy code used during LDAP Group Syncs.  (As you suspected).  I use the term legacy, as the change was made a back in Jive 4.0 to support a use-case with one of our modules; however, since then alternate strategies have surfaced leaving this "solution" in its current state.  The code base is intended to be memory-only, and there are no plans to add a column to persist it via the DAO.  That being said, it sounds like the best course of action would be to submit the use-case as an idea in the Jive Platform space.   While not as helpful as I'd normally like my answers to be, I hope it helps point you in the right direction.

hberes

It seems the current approach is to determine availability of managing groups (i.e., federated groups or not) from the GroupManager itself at a global-level level rather than at the individual group level.  That approach is ok for monolithic approaches to groups (all database or all federated).  I am working on a mixed-mode group manager (some LDAP groups and some database groups), which is the root of my consternation about the persistence of the federated attribute at the group level.

I'll have to give it some thought as to whether I want to force persistence to the database or come up with a workaround (possibly via system properties).  Thanks for looking into it.  At least I know I'm not missing anything.