7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM by brooksjordan

Categories & Sub-Categories

crline

I am struggling to get people to wrap their arms around no 'sub-categories' with this platform. Almost every functional areas is citing it as a negative to Jive. I am trying to help them understand that is not the best way to structure their content but from a pretty "heirarchy" based mindset of employees, any thoughts on how you overcame and educated your employees and community managers would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Categories & Sub-Categories
          Ted Hopton

Think of tags as your sub-categories...

nbussard

Also, realize that this takes time. We've been live for about a year now, and it has been a slow process of people being able to see how this works, but at this point these types of questions have mostly died down. When they do come up, I usually have multiple discussions with people, focusing always on what they are trying to accomplish and how it can be accomplished in Jive, versus trying to map their mental model of categories and sub-categories onto Jive's functionality. A combination of these conversations and seeing the results obtained by the people who "get" it seems to be the most effective.

Jill Ross

Hi Courtney,

I've experienced the same challenge moving from Confluence over to Jive. My team is using Tags to make up for the loss of hierarchy, and I've also emphasized Jive's search functionality. Getting people to get used to using search is essential, IMO. We are very accustomed to navigating to content within folders on computer operating systems, email platforms, websites, and more, so it's hard for people to change their habits to search instead of "hunt and peck."

I've implemented a few custom search bars within Spaces and Groups containing lots of Documents that include big calls-to-action such as "Find What You Need Faster." The widget placement/configuration should guide people toward desired actions, so search is front and center when we want people to start off by searching for something. Some spaces are more discussion-oriented, some are more like "document hubs," so it really just depends on the purpose of the Space/Group/Project.

tmaurer

Another thing to keep in mind is that very often, the people who most feel the need for hierarchy are the people setting up a place. We actually did usability testing and were surprised how few people actually used navigational aids. Almost without fail, they used search. If you can demonstrate this to people, it can help them start thinking about things differently.

And once you are using Jive 5, Browse is a VERY powerful way to search and find very specific content.

Brad.Fitzgerald

I second Tracy's comment. I would encourage Tags/Keywords because it gives the content structure without hierarchy.  Most people who use the web now are very comfortable with search.  They don't think of hierarchy anymore--they think of search.

For example, remember how the old Yahoo pages categorized everything and you started your search by browsing? Now contrast that with Google's homepage--a big search box and few filters by content type.

They just need to apply "web thinking" to business content.  Search and filter.

crline

Thanks everyone! Very helpful thoughts and ideas! I appreciate it!

brooksjordan

I wrote this down for something I'm working on and thought it might be useful:

Categories can't be nested, but tags can create a type of sub-category.

Meaning, you can create a document with a particular tag and associate that document with a Category. All of the docs within that Category that share a tag are a set.

You can expose that set of documents with a common tag within the Category by using the "Filter by Tag" option. And even better, you can take the URL that is generated when you use the "Filter by Tag" option and use it to link to that set from widgets on the Overview page.

This is a simple but powerful way to organize content with Categories and tags that gives you the advantage of nested folders while keeping things social.

1 person found this helpful