15 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 3:37 PM by nbussard

How do I set up the CMR permission?

nbussard

Hi,

I'm excited to leverage the new CMR permission, but am not able to understand how it works. The overview presentation shows a screenshot, but gives no directions as to how to get to that screen, what to set the values to once you are on it, or what the experience should be for the people with the permission. Is it that they get to see Community Manager Reports in the Your Stuff menu? Or something else? Any clues would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nikki

• Re: How do I set up the CMR permission?
          karl.rumelhart

Nikki,

Have you had a look at the new documentation?  Community Manager Reports > Administering Community Manager Reports

It would be great to hear about any parts that are unclear!

Thanks,

-Karl

nbussard

Wow, thanks for the lightening quick response, Karl!

Three things:

•   I searched and searched and did not find this documentation. Is there some way to make it easier to find from the Jive Community? Or did I miss a link posted in an obvious place?

•   The instructions provide information on how to grant permissions using a user override. I want to create a group to manage CMR permissions. When I go to set permissions for this group in the "Default Space Permissions", I have to first select a Permission Level. I select Custom and then there are several options I can set, one of which is "Reports." By default it is set to "view" and the other option is "advanced." That is confusing—it makes it seem like all groups have view rights by default and choosing "advanced" doesn't seem like it is the right alternative to View. Also, it's not clear if I am also granting permissions using the other drop downs. Not sure if this makes sense or not. Here is a screen shot of the options I see:

cid:7B416E4E-5197-4FAF-A01F-24EC005FB51C

•   Finally, I still don't see anything explaining how a person who has this permission is supposed to access the reports.

Thanks,

Nikki

karl.rumelhart

Leona Campbell can you comment on the best way to locate the CMR documention from the JC?

Regarding the different options: this is, indeed, a bit confusing.  The permission infrastructure in Jive is built with the idea that there may be many levels of access to something -- read, modify, delete, whatever.  The idea is that you can go to an advanced setting and select each of those one at a time, or there are some convenience levels that package several of them together.  We are using that same infrastructure for CMR but it is actually a bit of overkill since there is just one option: can the user view or not?     So to turn the permission on you either select the one-and-only convenience level, View, which enables the permission, or you go to Advanced and check the one-and-only option, View.  If you want to NOT have the permission, you go to Advanced and uncheck the one-and-only option...ready for this...View.

When someone has the permission, they access the reports in exactly the same way as someone with Admin rights.  

leona.campbell

Hi Karl and Nikki!

The best way to keep track of Jive documentation is to follow Documentation Space. On the Overview page, we link to the documentation web site where you will find our entire documentation set.  We also make sure that each release blog post contains links to the latest documentation. You can also post any questions about documentation in this space!

Leona

nbussard

Hi Leona,

I'm confused. It sounds like you are confirming that there is no way to find a link to the documentation from search. Instead, you need to know that you are supposed to follow the Documentation space, but instructions to do so are also not searchable. Am I correct in concluding that the only reliable way to find the documentation for the first time is to ask someone how to find the documentation?

Hi Nikki. You're correct that you can't search documentation content easily using the Jive Community search. That's because it's hosted on a separate web site with its own search. (We've had many discussions about this! This is part of what the Documentation space is for.) The Documentation space has links to the main page in addition to other information.

However, you can always find the Documentation space easily by typing "Documentation" in Jive Community search: you don't need to follow the space to get there. There are also links to documentation on the Jive Software web site. In a pinch, Google works too.

Ryan Rutan

Nikki, I believe you have caught us in a bit of transition.  =)  We have recently launched a series of Product spaces in the JC, and plan to move all documentation and/or documentation announcements to those relative spaces.  As such, the CMR documentation (and/or the JC links to it) are located in the:

Jive Platform

I recently moved all documents from the Documentation sub-spaces into their respective locations, hence some of the confusion no doubt.  Definitely plans for better surfacing. =)

Good luck tomorrow, wish I could be there!

nbussard

Thanks for the context, Ryan. Luckily you guys rock at responding in these forums, so I got my answer. Rohit hit it on the head: I wasn't doing the second save after selecting the custom permissions. Hopefully I will get a chance to write up the steps in coherent form so others looking to do the same thing—set up a permission group for CMRs—will have an easier time.

leona.campbell

Hi Nikki, I will update the docs to address some of this confusion. I was thinking about adding a topic specific to granting user groups permission to view CMRs. Currently we point to the Jive Core documentation to address this, but perhaps we should talk about it in the context of CMR. Do you think this would be helpful?

Leona

nbussard

Hi Leona,

Since the process is a little unexpected, as pointed out by Karl, I do think this would be useful. It didn't occur to me to look at the documentation for setting permissions in the generic sense in order to so for CMR. I expect I am not the only one, especially as many people are adding CMR to existing sites.

Thanks again for being so responsive.

Nikki

nbussard

Thanks, Karl. I feel a little saner now. However, this is what I tried and people are saying they are still not able to see the CMR link. I will investigate further and let you know if I'm still having issues. It's entirely possible this is an end user problem.

Hi Nikki,

The instructions provide information on how to grant permissions using a user override. I want to create a group to manage CMR permissions. When I go to set permissions for this group in the "Default Space Permissions", I have to first select a Permission Level. I select Custom and then there are several options I can set, one of which is "Reports." By default it is set to "view" and the other option is "advanced." That is confusing—it makes it seem like all groups have view rights by default and choosing "advanced" doesn't seem like it is the right alternative to View. Also, it's not clear if I am also granting permissions using the other drop downs. Not sure if this makes sense or not.

On this part, for the Custom Permission level for the relevant group, did you choose the default "View" option for "Reports" and click Save on that popup page and the Save next to the Custom permission level on the original page. I was going through these steps myself just now and realized that this part (especially the first Save) was easy to miss and would result in the permission not being set. Once you set that, the users who are part of the relevant group should be able to access the Global CMR dashboard by going to "Your Stuff" on the main site and accessing the "Community Manager Reports" link there.