3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 11:59 AM by m-basil@northwestern.edu RSS

Interacting with the Database in a Web Service

Gary Williams

Has anyone created a web service via a Jive plugin where they've connected to the database?  I done this using the DAO model when creating a widget but when I do the same thing in a web service get java.lang.NullPointerException errors as I try to connect to via the standard Manager to DAO process.  I have a widget in the same plugin that's able to connect without an issue so I can't figure out why the web service wouldn't work when it's calling the exact same code.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Garyd

• Re: Interacting with the Database in a Web Service
          jrlarson

Sounds like it may be related to the request context - the service may not have an appropriate context when compared with the widget.

Gary Williams

That's what I was starting to think as well John.  If I manually create the Manager (like MyManagerName something= new MyManagerNameImpl()) and then in the Manager do the same with the DAO I can move the same error to the Jive sourse so now I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jivesoftware.base.database.dao.JiveJdbcOperationsTemplate.getJdbcOperations(JiveJdbcOperationsTemplate.java:82)

...but I haven't been able get past that.  There's probably something I can do in the web service itself to give the right context there but I can't figure out what that might be.

m-basil@northwestern.edu

Gary,

I need to do the same thing.  I've been able to get widgets to work properly, but am struggling with how to configure the plugin for a web service. 

Specifically, how does a custom web service (REST) become available via URL?  I don't see how to map it like the widgets and actions.

I'd be happy to dig in further if I can get past this issue.

Thanks