85 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 11:37 PM by jim.smith@saint-gobain.com

Missing the Personal Home Page

rwilsker

We're been getting a fair amount of push back from our user community since we upgraded to Jive 5.0. For many of them, as jazzy as the activity streams and Inbox are, the users feel that the loss of their personal home page is a real step backwards. There's certainly the change factor - doing old things new ways - but I think they also feel that they've lost the ability to exercise some control their Jive experience.

• Are other people experiencing this same reaction? How are you handling it?
      • Is there any thought within Jive about giving some of that control back to users in version 6.x or later?

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this.

Roy

• Re: Missing the Personal Home Page
          crossman

This is one reason we did not rush to Jive 5. We feel the updated/customized activity streams in Jive 6 are a very reasonable counter-argument for those power users who would miss the Your View page.

Would I like to see the Your View page live on in some fashion? Sure.  But I would not sit on 4.5 forever just to keep it, since Jive 5+ certainly provide substantial improvements in other areas of the user interface.

tmaurer

With one notable exception, the complaints we've had about the loss of the homepage were around losing links to places. Once we explained how to use Browse to accomplish this even better now, and also explained the ability to add to the Links menu (we implemented Ryan Rutan's QuickLinks Plugin), all but one person seems to be satisfied. That one person was using an RSS widget to collect content using specific tags.

One other option is for people to use limited visibility personal documents. And if you combine this with the Links menu, it comes close to the Your View page for most users.

rwilsker

Our users really take a different view, and I don't blame them. They see it as a loss of their ability to have some control of the environment. And there's no reason the new capabilities couldn't have been added without the loss of the personal page - just one more tab on the screen.

We do have the Links option, and it's helpful, but it's not intuitive for general users (too much cutting and pasting URLs, no easy way to reorder entries, too few entries, etc.)

My experience with this kind of issue is that for every one person you've talked to, there are 10 people who aren't saying anything (to you, anyway, but perhaps to the person sitting at the next desk), but are just getting more frustrated and irritated. Or perhaps just less enthusiastic about the system. We've had a number of people ask if they can just have their SharePoint sites again. Not a good sign.

Anyone from Jive reading these comments?

cflanagan17

Interesting you just "bumped this up" today. Many of us were just in a session at #e2conf by Alan Lepofsky which I would consider "required" reading/course for all social software vendors (Jive included). I can't tell you how well he summarized my personal frustration with Jive in their product development cycle and the influence existing customers have on the product (or not).

I'll summarize by saying - the entire 45 minutes I just sat in on was excellent and covered some real issues I think Jive should address.

I know Jive 6 is bringing back personal streams, but I don't think they realize how much further they really need to go to bring back personal control, filtering and resetting default algorithms in addition to recommendation engines (not one over the other).

Ryan Rutan

Claire,  would love to get this feedback or any other topics you might have.  Could you share them somewhere in the JC and let me know, or at least give me the session title..so I can find an online version of the discussion.  Thanks so much. =)

tmaurer

My feedback would be to get Olivia and team to spend some time with Alan Lepovsky. And actually, Jive does do a lot of these things, even in Jive 5. But you make users have to hunt for the things instead of giving them a single understandable place to go for it. Users don't get to go to "Browse" to see MY stuff, especially after years with a My Stuff link.

cflanagan17

I don't want Jive to think it knows best for me. And I don't want Jive to be looking at past use data. We want and need to do more with personalization and not less. If folks didn't use it, it's not because it's not important - it was hidden, they didn't know how to use it and  maybe so many other reasons. And while Jive 6 is going in the right direction, I still have heard there will be limitations - so you won't go where you should. To Tracy's point, some of us feel Alan's insights today should be required for social software vendors, not just Jive, but you're our solution of choice so we want you to know and listen to him on our behalf if you don't listen to us.

This comment to my tweet this am was right on point infocloud: @cflanagan Vendors are mostly listening to new customer needs and new customers rarely understand need, #1YearClub @alanlepo  - - Thanks for letting me share this comment here.

cflanagan17

Check out tweets from today #e2conf and it was the session on Social Software fatigue. But even if you find that, you might not really get the context. I'm sure Alan would share the deck with Jive and even spend some time with someone talking specifically about his talk that covered activity streams - and controls. To Jive's credit he featured some Jive 6 goodness you guys are bringing in, but he also had some "generic" suggestions on how all social software vendors could make the tools more effective for users to get work done - and that's the area where I was thinking "yes, I so agree and want more of this badly".

Thanks for asking and listening.

Ryan Rutan

Roy, we are definitely here and reading the replies.  Granted, we may miss a few, but rest assured that I am here. =)

I'll let Olivia Teich and Nick Hill chime in with an official product management answer; however, wanted to share my story about how I made the transition.  At my former company, when we were faced with this issue, I did some analysis of the system to see what exactly people were doing with their Overview page, and I was shocked to say the least.  So highlights from the top of my head:

• ~80% of the enterprise didn't customize at all, leaving only ~20% that did.  Of those 20%:
                                • ~50% of them were using the recommended layout defined in the training (little personalization).  Key elements => Your Places and Your Groups Widgets
                                • ~35% of them were using the recommended layout + 1 HTML Widget at the top. => Quick Navigation
                                • The rest were a mix of people, very few would have considered themselves "Power Users", and many of who "My Yahoo"ed the bejeezus out of the Overview Page rendering it chaotic and practically useless (i.e. 3-4 RSS feeds, many of which rendering under the fold...sometimes 3-4 screen lengths tall)

Needless to say, this is what drove me to make the QuickLinks Plugin, to address as many of the 35% as possible.  Granted the UI is not ideal, but I've never touted myself as a UI guy.  In this thought process, I have thought of some features that might help in the plugin, that wouldn't be all that difficult.

• Drag-drop re-ordering of links in the Edit Links UI
                              • "Link This" action in the Links dropdown that takes the current page impression and saves it to the first available link spot

While I agree that change is rarely pleasant, I do think that this change was done for the better to break the "My Yahoo" paradigm.  All that aside, is there something we can do to help? Just let us know =)

AmandaS

The Alan Leopvsky session sounds great - I'll have to check out his stuff.

The feedback in this thread has been given repeatedly over the past 18 months (if not longer by some).  It was a big part of the Jive 5 Beta community as well and was mainly met with defense of the decision to remove Your View and Your Stuff vs. listening to why people found those features useful and intuitive.  I think it's going to be hard for users to think of the entire site and UI and "theirs" if they don't have the ability to customize its behavior to meet their needs.  The more people use the site for real work on a daily basis the more they want to tailor settings to how they work and what is efficient for them.  This is why Claire's comment about existing customers vs. new is so relevant. 

I've never customized my Yahoo page but I don't work there - it's a casual usage scenario. Casual users are often looking for a specific thing so they search or browse.  The streams might show them something they would not have otherwise seen (which is great) but I don't think they will keep people from searching and browsing.  As companies with new employees coming in daily we will always have segments of new users, casual users, power users etc. and we need to meet the needs of all of these groups (without robbing Peter to pay Paul). 

Also, I totally agree with Tracy that users do not intuitively go to the global Browse to the find their own content - whether they are new in Jive 5 or upgraded from 4.x.

nbussard

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Alan at dinner at Jive World last year, and I always find his insights helpful. I wish I could have been in that session. Aside from agreeing that people need a volume control based on relevance to their work and an easy way to get to their stuff, I am interested in hearing about how other vendors are handling this. I know Alan tracks that--did he have suggestions or best practice examples that we could add as an interim customization, assuming Jive is going down that path in the core product?

I heartily second the notion that vendors should listen to existing customers over new customers. I also see potential customers seeking the advice of existing customers all the time, so answering to the existing customer group could potentially give you double the coverage.

Amanda, we've found most users are saying custom streams address the problem of wanting more control.   I'd be curious to hear if that plays with the user bases of the folks in this thread.    Obviously we want to get that functionality to a place where it satisfies a lot of these concerns.

I would agree that we currently do a poor job (and so did all previous versions) with regard to "Your Stuff".   It's definitely an internal topic of conversation.   We've debated a bunch of models.  For example, we've discussed if we should steal a page from Pinterest in terms of creating easier ways to arrange and manage your content and your bookmarks.   We'd love to hear how you like to manage your stuff today and what you would be looking for in a solution.

To be honest, it's been a tricky balance in terms of support for "power users".    We've found that at most customers, the biggest concern is onboarding as much of the company into the system to increase participation and engagement.    And user studies continuously pointed out that things like "your view" was an impediment to that.   We've tried to piggyback on familiar social networking notions (e.g. google+ circles -> Jive custom streams) to provide expert functionality.    Apps also provide some powerful tools for personal customization. 

In Jive 6 you'll see both a new rich set of onboarding/teaching functionality along with custom streams.  We're trying to ensure we cover both camps and keep current with social media trends and learnings.    We're definitely listening to you all and include these viewpoints in all our design discussions.   Please keep the feedback coming.

cflanagan17

Brian, thanks for the thoughtful reply, truly.

I know what I've seen / heard about Jive 6 is a HUGE step in the right direction. And I know I was left with a few additional "asks" (like don't limit how many I can set up - and still let me control the "types" of things I want there - like I might not want all content types, but only filter certain types of content from someone, a group, etc.). At CSC I'm a member of many, many things - and I play a lot of roles. I can already see where 5 streams would be limiting - and I still want more "dials" to control for the streams I set up. Plus I might want to bring in feeds from external content - all related to a job role I'm playing, for instance.

Those are just some quick thoughts. But I think this would be a wonderful area where Jive could tap into your champion group for a focus group with us on this area to try out scenarios you're considering for input.

Thanks!

Right now we have the limit on # of custom streams set to 10 by default but it's configurable.    Agreed on the external content in the feed.   We've been looking into having Jive be the place to aggregate all activity streams and clearly it would be great if you could configure this.   You would want control over getting feeds into the streams, have the ability to filter them, have the what matters/recommendation/search systems work with these external feeds and you'd like for them to nicely deal with permissions/entitlements so that information is not revealed inappropriately.  

This is a bunch of work and we're scoping it to see if it will go into Jive 7.  Definitely a top candidate.

AmandaS

Thank you for the reply Brian.  We are waiting to upgrade from 4.5 until Jive 6 in the hopes that the custom streams will mitigate the loss of Your View for our users who currently rely on it.  In addition to using Community Activity, a lot of our users use the Your View for custom navigation – either through special links to search results, or by using the Your Content, Your Groups, Your Projects, and Your Bookmarks widgets.  With Your View as their community landing page, it often makes for one-click nav to where they want to go.  We also have users who only watch blog posts and others who use the “Watch Multiple Tags” and “Open Questions” widgets which we’ve also promoted as a way for people to quickly see how they could help another community member.

With streams, we know our users want to plug-in based on content type and category.  For example, now that we are using Ideation they want to watch only the Ideas in a given place.  On 4.5, we have to create a sub-space specifically for ideation in order to allow people to only plug in tightly on innovation vs. all the other work and chatter.  With categories, they want to splice the conversations in a place (like a central technical support discussion) and plug in on the areas that are of interest.  And I want to enable this without creating a lot of unnecessary sub-spaces.

Your Stuff was valuable to people because it was fast navigation as well as an organized consolidation of content.  We still get users asking to have their Comments viewable under their Your Stuff as well.  They want to get back to things they’ve chosen to participate in and they don’t want to hunt for it or go through many clicks.  I’m not sure how much people “manage” their content other than wanting to find it quickly and then view or edit.   I will see if I can obtain any further information on how people might want to organize and manage their own content.

We haven’t really had problems onboarding users so perhaps that is why I focus more on worker productivity (and the power users that generates) than getting people in.  We tend to add teams and organizations all together and once the team is committed to working in the system it becomes part of their dynamic to all work there together.   We have a Help area and videos and documents but I spend most of my training time with Place Owners and the people who are spearheading their team or organization’s move into the system.  We’ve had a lot of pull and demand as employees praise our Jive implementation over the other internal systems used for collaboration (mainly because they aren’t very collaborative, they are more like KB portals).

Anyway, thank you for reading if you’ve read this far ;>  and thank you again for your earlier reply.

This is incredibly useful detailed use data and I appreciate it.   I'll share it with the design team.   In general, we've chosen to use Apps as our mechanism for a lot of the widgets you described.   Apps are incredibly easy to build (you can make them in a day or two) and have the advantage of being able to be purpose built around a very focused task.

We'd love to discuss with your team (as you get closer to your upgrade) if building an app for power users to drive their specific use case(s) would give them all the tools they need.

Thanks Amanda for your reply.

The custom streams feature in 6.0 will allow your users to get a more focused, targeted stream. While we don't yet have the ability to build a stream based on tags, it's a feature that's been frequently discussed, and is filed in our issue tracking system for future consideration. That said, using custom streams to keep up with initiatives, projects or deals is very powerful.

custom_streams.png

Regarding the use of widgets for navigation, there's a new feature soon to debut on the Cloud (and in the coming 6.0 release) that was built with the intent to help people "get back to things they need', and is a modification to the current Spotlight search.

new_spotlight.png

With this feature, the software recognizes the places that you go to often, and automatically presents them to you when you focus on the search input. No need to manually curate a list in an HTML or Formatted Text widget.

Also, as Brian mentioned, Apps sound like a really good solution to some of the widgets you mention. They can also be made far more powerful than the widgets ever were.

Oh, and you mentioned people wanting to get a list of things they've participated in. When browsing Content (both 5.0 and 6.0) there's now a direct way to show that list.

browse_content.png

Hope this helps.

The Design team is paying very careful attention to this thread. It's important to us that through the transformation from the previous incarnation of the platform and where it's headed we address the concerns as best we can.

Keep the feedback coming!

nbussard

The new spotlight search looks GREAT. I'll have to see it to believe it, but conceptually it makes a lot of sense to not make users manually curate links to their frequently used stuff. And if they want to do that, it looks like the Bookmarks section will cover it.

John Schwiller

Hi Ryan

We have been on J4T since early May, and it quickly felt very 'natural' .  When you say

focus on the search input

Is that by clicking in the spotlight field 'en route' to doing a search or just hovering it? If you are going there to do actually 'do a search', how does it feel that it presents a 'mass of info' on history and bookmarks even before you type?

But I'm sure it will seem obvious when we see it.

Hi John,

what I meant by 'focus' was as you said: clicking in the spotlight field en route to doing a search.

We did a round of informal usability studies (a mix of Jive employees, from seasoned vets to new hires with no previous experience with the product, all from different departments) on this feature and found that while people weren't uncomfortable with the menu appearing, the design at that time left some of the participants wondering what it was that they were looking at.

As a result, we improved the design to make History and Bookmarks more clearly defined, and improved the interactions and transitions between history, bookmarks, and your search results to make the experience more fluid and natural.

It's also probably worth noting that there is a user preference to hide history and bookmarks while using spotlight search, for those who truly do not find it useful.

AmandaS

Thanks for your reply Ryan.  I just want to note a few things:

The new spotlight search looks nice.  The only thing I would say is that when you consolidate things like that you generally make people click more.  Right now they have one click to open their bookmarks and pick one.  With this they will have two clicks and they will also be going to "search" for something they don't want to search for.  I don't think people think about clicking on the search icon to navigate to one of their bookmarks or see their navigation history.

Also, when you say "No need to manually curate a list in an HTML or Formatted Text widget,"  you are assuming no one wants to do that.  Some people do and some people don't depending on their use cases for the system and how they like to work.  I think pushback from customers has arisen when Jive has taken away the power to control behaviors and forced users to work with what the system generates.  Will the "frequently viewed" list change constantly so that the item I am looking for which was just third in my list is now 10th (hidden under a 'more' link or gone)?  That might annoy people more than making them happy.  I think consistency is very important in UI and imo you shouldn't entirely replace consistent elements with adaptable ones.  That forces people to constantly re-learn something they don't want to re-learn because they've got work to do.

My statements on the content users have participated in were about why people liked Your Stuff.  It was fast, consistent, and simple for them to navigate (Your Stuff-->Documents etc).  It was intuitive and it didn't force clicks; didn't waste their time.  I think it's important to understand what people have liked and why in order to influence future direction.  Our users also want to find their Comments the same way they can find other content they've created and I don't see that addressed in Jive 6.

My statements here aren't intended to just re-hash some of the major changes from 4.5 to 5.x again (it's been done many times).  I am hoping this will help in understanding of how some people use the system to get real work done.

tmaurer

I share Amanda's concern about moving bookmarks and recently viewed content into the search. I understand it isn't necessarily another click, since it shows on hover. But it is not intuitive for people to have to hover over the search box to get to it in the first place. I don't mind it ALSO surfacing there, but don't take away the icons that my users are familiar with.

Also agree with the concern that if I rely on the system to give me my list of frequently viewed places instead of something like Ryan's Links widget, the list order would change. I get used to clicking link #2, and it suddenly moves to #5 and I get confused. I'll either end up at the wrong location, or think my link is missing.

nbussard

I didn't realize the history and bookmarks were being moved under search--I thought they were just provided as an another option under search. On the Jive 6 screenshot, there are no menu options for History and Bookmarks, but on the Brewspace screenshot they are still there. What is the plan for Jive 6? Also, am I understanding correctly that the Quick Links plugin will not work anymore in Jive 6, or is it still optional?

Hello Nikki, the screenshot Brian added was from a previous Cloud version of Jive 6 (what was on Brewspace until last night). The latest version (and what is currently planned for 6.0 final) is as the above.

As I alluded to, we've upgraded Brewspace and have been gathering feedback from across Jive. There is room for improvement to be sure, though so far the response has been positive. Some of the ideas for improvement include making frequent, recent, and bookmarks "sticky" or pin-able so it can honor the needs of the individual user (those who used bookmarks daily can set that as the default, for example). Jive users who didn't know about the change have been initially perplexed, so there's work to be done there to alert users to changes to the UI, this being a prime example.

Regarding the 'Quick Links' plugin, I'm not certain. Ryan Rutan, do you know the status on this plugin?

Ryan Rutan

Ryan, I've been working with Olivia Teich and Nick Hill to come up with a roadmap for some of my features.  Given the changes to the header that you've shared in this thread, our conversations have been on how to incorporate the links given the new re-org.  You can see how they work in the JC today (see the Links menu in the header).  That's the only status I have right now.

I like the idea of having the Quicklinks plugin.  However, I had an interesting conversation with Jem Janik about this.  When she pointed out that a single user cannot install it, I realized how difficult it could be to deal with 50K users having a chance to stumble into this unofficial bit of code.  What would have been a simple experiment could turn into a support nightmare.

It would be nice if little UI featurettes like this could be installed by (or for) individual users.

tmaurer

I don't understand the issue here. Our experience is that when the plug-in is installed, individual users don't have to install it. It is there on their interface, they just need to add links (if they so choose). If there is a problem, could you or Jem elaborate further?

Tracy -- the issue is that it's not officially supported by Jive.  If we encounter issues, we really cannot count on being able to demand fixes, and if we take and upgrade and the feature goes missing (even for a little while)... well, the "mob" scene you alluded to in your other post could happen.  My peers in the user community at Alcatel-Lucent are already quite demanding as it is because we are used to the standards for "carrier-grade" telecomm software.

My only point was that I'd love to have experimented with it first in our environment to be sure of it, but I cannot because it's on for everyone, or it's off.  I'm thinking out loud here: Maybe Ryan Rutan would be willing to set it so that it is off by default and then can be turned on in the preferences by those <20% that needed the links? 

tmaurer

OH! I didn't understand that from your post. It very much makes sense now, sorry for being dense.

One thing I will say is that even though it is in the menu bar, most people don't even seem to notice it is there. If people dont want to add links, they just wont, so leaving it turned off in prefs is really the same thing. And the functionality is very basic - if it works in your test environment, it will work in production. But I see your point.

Sent from my iPad

tmaurer

I've voted on your idea, Ryan. But just to make it even more obvious, our employees LOVE this plug-in of yours and would be thrilled to have it be a permanent part of the feature-set. In fact, I think it I took it away I would be mobbed. They would love to see it improved in the ways suggested in your idea, so for sure I think it should be Jive-supported.

Hello Amanda, sorry for the delayed response here.

Regarding my 'no need to manually curate a list' I completely recognize that there is a need for that kind of functionality, my intent in offering the screenshot of the new Spotlight search was to show how we're working on features that can be a time (and key stroke) saver, and may negate the need (for some users) to do what some widgets had done in the past on the 'Your View' page.

alex.mcknight

Having the ability to follow Tags in custom activity streams is an essential function in my opinion.(its a great way to keep your ear to the ground for areas you are interested or an expert in, no matter the groups/spaces your connected to).

The more you can leverage Tags the more useful and important they become and in doing so they educate users in the benefits of tagging content properly when creating/updating.

Alex McKnight -- you are hitting an important point here!  It's great because part of what I've shared within my own community is a vision where tags can be a part of an integrated stream, not implemented as a bunch of additional widgets that compound the redundancy problem.

AmandaS

Don’t forget categories!  Our users use categories much more than tags for segmenting conversation areas – and we greatly prefer that to giving them more and more subspaces for segmentation.

tmaurer

I agree categories are important, but since they aren’t “global” or universally applied across all spaces, they don’t have the same relevance for streams and search. Though there’s an idea – having the system use categories as an additional indicator of relevance for search results.

AmandaS

I think categories can still be relevant for streams and could wean people off of email notifications.  One of our biggest use cases is in our Support organization.  They use a common/single space to request community help on issues.  That space contains a number of categories that people use to organize and segment the high-level area the issue relates to.  Right now, people receive email notifications from this area based on the category that is specified (a customization we added).  If they could create a custom stream with the category or categories that they are experts in, they could likely eliminate the emails.  Note that this about work and they are closely watching content and questions in their area of expertise that are coming from customers via Support.  So, this use case is not really about general interest in “what is going on across the company/community related to X”.

nbussard

That sounds like a great customization--I would love to have this as well. I would also propose that categories would not be so important if there were some way to manage tags centrally. People seem to like categories because they are automatically listed when they create the content and they can just "check the box." With tags, people worry about redundancy, mispellings, etc. If you could streamline the tags and force consistency, or use a set of "uber-tags" as categories, you could use tags in the same way you describe, I believe.

Ryan Rutan -- I'm belatedly joining this thread (thanks Kevin Joyce) and I'm stunned by your comment that "this change was done for the better to break the 'My Yahoo' paradigm.". A paradigm that by your own calculations represents what regarded as an errant user population of about 3% of the entire base (15% of 20%).

Ignoring those 3% RSS-heavy users, it seems reasonable to assume that the majority of the power users were among those 20% who actually used the feature; what percentage of the contributions come from the most active 20% of the user community?

Ryan Rutan

Andres,

You make some interesting and valid points, and I would urge you to continue to share your stories/thoughts/scenarios.  In all seriousness, having dedicated customers like yourself sharing your opinions on the good and the bad is paramount to Jive staying the leader in the social business space.  This is a position we have no intention of letting go anytime soon, and I would urge you to reach out to me or Olivia Teich should you feel compelled to share this type of feedback.  =)

A few things I wanted to be clear about on my previous comments, for those reading the thread out of context:

• The statement referenced re: My Yahoo paradigm was a personal opinion based on observed outcomes on my previous internal Jive instance while still a Jive customer.  This was not an official answer from Jive on the decision to remove the "Your View" functionality.
                                                                                              • The intent of the response was to try and provide some context to Roy Wilsker on how I approached the challenge of transitioning the paradigm between 4.5 and 5.0 hoping that he could glean some helpful tips and tricks.

Lastly, and once again this is my personal bias, but I was honestly indifferent to the Your View page.  It just wasn't how I worked; however, like many of you, it wasn't about my personal preference ... it was about the collective preference of the enterprise.  Hence the exercise to evaluate and quantify the impact and see how to move forward to get people to look past the change and focus on the benefit.  We were live on 5.0.0.1 for 2 weeks without the QuickLinks Plugin and I can vouch that there was significant turbulence in our Jive user base.  Being the primary line of support, I bared the brunt directly of this "Your View" page argument.  This was even after holding numerous lunch brown-bags, online webinars, and how-to documentation to our end-users.  Within a week of releasing the QuickLinks plugin and sending out the training materials, the calls practically stopped.  It was night and day, and I know that others have expressed similar outcomes.  It's not about abandoning the 3% or turning your back on the 20%, but helping those that your can by enabling them with tools, training, and the proper mindset on how to be successful with what you have ... and keep channels open for constructive dialog about what could make them even more productive.  Note:  This dialog was directly responsible for most of my plugins in The specified item was not found.. =)

All in all, I am excited about having the opportunity to work with many of you to continue these conversations and be your voice inside Jive to make sure that your feedback is consolidated and focused to the right people to have the best possible outcome!  Also, I still have some ideas for some REALLY cool plugins and Jive Apps for all you Power Users out there, so stay tuned for updates!

P.S.  Your recommendation of having user's create disposable groups to achieve similar Your View status is definitely the next best thing. For those people where this feature resonated, it is definitely a way to bridge the gap.  Thanks for sharing.=)

Update:  Just realized your other comment.  As it related to power users (measured by contributions per day), there was no strong correlation between users of the "Your View" and being a Power User, but this is not to say that some of them didn't fall into that 20%. This was one of the first things we wanted to verify, because we needed to make sure that we didn't upset the wrong people, or at least needed to know how we reached out to ... to give a bit more high-touch transition training. =)

Ryan -- regarding your update to your response:  yes, I was not assuming that Your View users are power users.  However, I'm willing to bet that the percentage of adoption of Your View was/is significantly higher among power users.  Because of the fact that communities exist on the backs of the contributions of the power users, the Jive team ought to normalize the percentages of use by comparing with the percentage of community contribution per user.

Tracy, for the notable exception, I'm curious if the saved search app meets their needs: https://community.jivesoftware.com/apps/dashboards/default-dashboard.   It allows you to track tags, etc. in a list on your apps dashboard...

jim.smith@saint-gobain.com

There seem to be a lot more than just one exception to this.

I and many many others here at Saint-Gobain use My View and frankly cannot believe that JIVE see this as an improvement to "dumb-down" the interface and remove the feature because only Power Users seemed to use the feature.

We use RSS widgets to bring content into our landing page from outside of JIVE,

The customised layout enables us to remove the standard corporate content that most of us don't want to see cluttering our landing page.

Having to define a privaet group that has all teh old content and layout woudl work but a lot of users simply won't bother and why should they have to?

tmaurer

I just got done teaching a class on how to use Jive5, so this is fresh in my mind. At the end, someone specifically asked how they would use Browse to find content from another author, "You just showed us how to find things I have authored. How would I find things someone else has authored?" And I realized, I have to send her to the individual author's profile to do that. So the disconnect here is that for MY content, I use Browse. For everyone else's stuff, I use their profile page.

Either model is fine, but not both together. Either have me use Browse with a filter on author to find anyone's content; or have me use profile pages to find anyone's content, including my own (Drafts included, if they are mine or ones that I am a co-author on via collab options). Just don't give me two different models I need to follow.

I'll see your inconsistency and raise you one more.   Search results have different controls than the browse content as well.   These UI issues are not fixed in Jive 6 though I have ranted at the team about them.   

One huge benefit of Jive6 is the option for cloud search.   This search is much, much better than previous search.    So much so that use of browse has dropped a lot on instances we track.   Basically you can now do things like, search for "Maurer drafts" and it would find documents that Tracy participates in and use the word drafts.     Also, the Jive 6 search UI gives many more facets to search on and it is the closest to the future direction we want to go.   Here's a screenshot of our internal instance.  You can note the ability to filter content with lots of "facets":

Screen Shot 2012-06-22 at 9.52.58 AM.png

April Jacobs

Brian, it's so nice to see your involvement here. It's really appreciated!! We're skipping Jive 5 and now I've gotten my biggest stakeholders very excited over Jive 6. They keep asking me when it's coming... And I say perhaps Q4... Can you give us even the slightest hint of a projected timeframe, generally speaking of course...?

tmaurer

That screenshot is great. However, we’ve spent 4 years teach people NOT to use the full-page search results because they were confusing and most often didn’t surface what people were looking for. That is going to be really hard to undo. Not that you shouldn’t have made it better, but what I find is that every new release, due to updates that were made I am telling people to use X instead of Y to find things. I can keep up, but only because it is my job. No wonder our employees get frustrated, “I’m really excited you brought me these 5 things I’ve been looking for. But you just took away 1 thing I loved and have made me relearn 2 other things.” And the only people who relearn are the ones we can actually reach with training. The vast majority of our staff keeps trying to use what they learned before and thinks something is broken.

AmandaS

Great points Tracy - also in light of the discussions that have occured around where to find your personal drafts (NOT under your profile).  I'd actually like to be able to find people's content three ways: profile, browse, search.  I think all three should be supported consistently.

What I've told users in our community is that it might be reasonable to create a group solely for the purpose of having an overview page again; nearly all of the same widgets are there, anyone can create a group for this, and it can have the added benefit of being shareable across several people who wanted the same kind of overview page.

Several responses here point to Jive 6 custom streams, Apps streams, and even the possibility of tag-based streams.  What we seem to be missing is a common customizable stream that INTEGRATES it all together intelligently.  Even Jive 4.5's overview page did NOT address this well. While I saw the Jive 6 custom streams as an improvement over Jive 5, it's really not ideal for regular and efficient daily use.  It's a nice initial "gee whiz" feature that isn't really practical.

Let's say I have a custom stream that follows members of my immediate team and a few team -related groups.  And then another custom stream that follows other users from a community of interest, along with groups for that interest.  Plus, I still have the original followers stream that I might still follow for "whatever's left" that wasn't in my custom streams, and the all community stream (status updates only) that I'd follow for getting a quick glimpse of the goings on across the entire company.  Apps inject more data into one of my streams, but I don't remember now which one that is.  Then a tags based stream feature would add yet two-three more independent views.  Finally, I still have the communications stream!  How do I follow all of that in 15-20min per day?  Content would frequently appear redundantly across several streams, and I might not realize connections between events across several streams (for example: a big news items that causes hits in several views, or comments about a server that's gone down in one group that happens to be the root cause for system test failures mentioned in another stream that people haven't realized.).

cflanagan17

Andres, you captured the issue well. I think Jive spent a lot of time trying to simplify Jive 5 and I'm sure prospects thought it was great. The problem is that Jive got to where it is based on the successful implementation at large enterprise deployments - and in this case - Jive's personalization features were the best we had seen so far in any enterprise software. So Jive 5 (and while Jive 6 is an improvement, even Jive 6) certainly takes Jive a step back in the requirements we have for an enterprise worker.  I stopped promoting and educating users on Your View in our release over a year and a half ago when I saw that it was being removed so that I wouldn't promote a feature I saw Jive taking away.  I agree, the personal stream needs to be the one place a user can go to bring in all Jive content (by person, by group, by content, by content type, by watched tag, by blog, by RSS feed - internal or external, etc.).

CSC is now at 100K+ registered users, 80% active and we generate on average 7M activities a month. Our home page activity stream changes every minute and for a worker involved in so many initiatives they will certainly want to fine tune their streams often - and be able to see the subscriptions and edit them easily.

Andres, I'd ask you give it a try first before you make your full judgement.    I hear you saying you have concerns that custom streams will end up letting you follow so much content in so many partitions that it will be too much for you to follow in 15-20 minutes a day.    Instead, think that custom streams are a "power user" tool for folks that tend to spend a lot more time in the system.

For the 15-20 minutes scenario, I believe you'll find that the combination of the inbox and matters most will get you all the information you need.   Most users who use the system this way will continue to use the tried and true, simple, single stream following model.  When time is short, matters most will reduce that stream to its essence.    And the inbox is perfect for tracking those items you have a social contract to pay attention to.

On the other hand, if you have lots of time and are driving many projects in drive, custom streams give you the ability to track and manage them on an ongoing basis.    It's exactly balancing between power users who live in the system and folks with only 15 minutes for the system that has caused us to make these design decisions.  

crossman

Might be worthwhile to note that Google has announced they are phasing out their iGoogle product, which bears a more than passing resemblance to the Your View page's functionality.  So, the trend for this sort of page isn't great...  (though, God help me if MyYahoo! ever gets shut down).

nbussard

Just revisiting this thread again as we consider possible customizations to Jive 5 to address some of these problems and ease the transition to Jive 6.

Kevin Crossman, your post was the first I had heard about iGoogle going away, and I practically fell off my chair. That has been my home page for years and I can't imagine organizing my life any other way. Google has already removed the page from the mobile version, which was critical for me as I do most of my news-checking on my train commute. They supposedly offer alternatives, but none of them really scratch the itch. While I'm not a big Your View user (mostly because I want to stay on top of what most of my users are seeing when they come into my community), I am certain I can relate to the pain, and i am hoping Jive can learn from choices made by Google and others.

Based on my initial exploration, I feel like Jive 6 does go a long way to getting you a personalized view. I am hoping to use the multiple streams in a different way than what Andres described; that is, I would not necessarily create streams by topic, but by importance. So I would have one for stuff I absolutely must know about immediately, and I would turn on email notifications for that. I might even call it my "email notification" stream so I could fine-tune my notifications in one place by adding or removing content there. Then I would have another that is something like "alert me," and could include content by group, person, tag (hopefully), etc. that I want to keep close tabs on. This would probably include everything in my email stream, since it is simply a matter of clicking a button to follow something in multiple streams. Then I would have a "casual follow" stream for things that I want to watch but aren't critical. Again, to save me the trouble of jumping from stream to stream, esp when on a mobile device, I might include everything from the other two streams here as well. I would probably only ever visit the last two streams, since I would be receiving email notifications on the first. In any one visit, I would only look at either "Alert me" or "Casual Follow," depending on how much time I had.

Brian Roddy, is Jive considering this type of scenario in its design? Also, I'm curious if you are still on track for a September release.

We absolutely are considering this sort of scenario in our design. In fact, when I describe the custom streams model I describe the two cases represented in this thread: topic based or priority based.

For the priority basis you describe, you can absolutely accomplish what you want, essentially you add "everything" you find interesting to your connections stream, then you can create these subsets as streams for email notifications or other priority items.

Let me explain my use of the tool and why I expressed my earlier concerns about stream handling creating a redundant view if the content.

I've been using our community's Jive 5 instance for a couple months now, and here is how the daily interaction with Jive looks from my perspective:

1) Start in the WM: Communications steam. Why?  If I do nothing else, I like to have reviewed my inbox for anything important.  I go ahead and make my replies to that content where appropriate, mark down any action items, and then I'm done with this step.  Frequency: several times per day, just like email. Note that I do NOT use email notifications at all.

2) If I have a few extra moments, I then take a look at the WM: Activity view and select the Followed stream, all followed content.  Immediately, the first problem is that the stream is clouded with a ton of my own content at the top from my replies in step 1.  It's easy to miss other new followed content that arrived during same 15 min that I was generating replies.  (However, this does not mean that I don't want to see my own replies in the stream, it's just that I have a hard time seeing around it all.). The next thing I notice is that all of the items from WM: Conmunications that I did NOT reply to is also clouding this stream.  The thread topics of the topics I'm following are of course interesting, so normally I would read them, but there's no cue to realize that I saw the latest info in that thread already while I was in WM: Communications and that I don't need to re-read it.  I wish I could filter out or properly mark what I've touched or seen already in WM Communications and not waste more time on it while in WM Activity. Frequency: once per day or sometimes 2-3 times per week if I get really busy.  I hate waiting too long or I will miss too much and never be able to catch up with the TON of content.   That feels a little like missing informational emails, which I dislike.

3) Usually, right after doing item 2, I select All Activity, status updates only to see what people are mentioning around the company without limiting myself to people that I follow. Here again I realize that all of the content I already saw in steps 1 and 2 is clouding me view.  I don't want to re-read all of that!   I would be able to focus only on what I haven't seen yet.

If we go to multiple custom streams, the problem I described above just gets MUCH worse.

behoppe333

Thanks, Andres, for this description of your workflow. Very helpful for me to hear this.

You say multiple custom streams would make the problem much worse (viewing a stream that is cluttered by information you have already scanned in a previous stream). I understand to a point. But when I read your workflow, I thought you were essentially asking for Jive to provide a way to recognize content that you've already scanned and filter that out of future streams that you scan. If Jive could do that, then this problem would go away in your current workflow and it would remain a non-problem for those using custom streams. Yes?

Also, you would be free to make zero custom streams, so I don't see how this feature gets in your way. Probably I misunderstand your point. Thanks for any additional comments you can share.

(PS: My perspective in this discussion-- Community manager of a Jive 5 pilot. Our core Jive team considers the personalized home page to be very important. We are surprised by Jive 5's approach to personalized home pages and we are very interested in where this discussion goes and where Jive goes with this feature.)

Bruce Hoppe -- you are correct, according to my work flow the custom streams do not add value and I already realize that I'm not obligated to use them.  My point with the custom streams is that redundancy will be a problem.  It's already a problem for the simple workflow that I follow, and it only multiplies as we add on more streams to check.

Bruce Hoppe wrote:

[...]

I thought you were essentially asking for Jive to provide a way to recognize content that you've already scanned and filter that out of future streams that you scan.

[...]

Yes and no.  I hinted at an approach (a filter), but there could be many ways of solving this problem. See my upcoming response to Josh Richau regarding this point.

Andres,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write down your workflow. As we designed these features, we considered a lot of what you are saying. Thus far, we fell to the side of trying to keep the streams using as simple of rules as possible for their display - what I mean by that is that we favored the stream having highly predictable behavior over making attempts to remove certain bits based on whether you have seen them. Of course, there has to be a balance. We were really striving for scannability on the stream side such that those duplicates would be easily passed over while you scan looking for interesting items to dive into. Of course, we can always do better ont his front. Our concern on the other side with removing things you have seen is presenting a potentially incomplete feeling experience (or at least one that feels slightly less predictable).

I think what you will find with your custom streams is that the ability to contextualize the activity stream will make it feel like any duplicates you might see are perfectly OK. When you can take the stream and hone in on a set of groups focused around an initiative, project, or topic - you can think "now I am catching up on project x" and what you will find in the stream is all the activity related to that project. Again, if you had commented on a few of those items, you will see that somewhat redundant content, yet it will be in context which will make it feel like it should be there.

Of course, we are always interested to hear how we can do better! Thanks again for the feedback and insight into your usage.

tmaurer

Hi Josh,

I have a somewhat similar workflow to what Andres described, and struggle with some of the same things. I think what might help is to add a filter on the Activity page so that I could show/hide content from the communication (inbox) page. This would be similar to the read/unread filter on the existing 5.0 Comms page, and I find this VERY helpful. If applied to the Activity stream, I could then see those potentially “read” threads in a specific context and then move them out of the way to focus on what I hadn’t yet dealt with.

And thanks for listening!

Josh Richau -- as I was starting to say in an earlier response, there could be a number of approaches to this problem that none of us have considered yet.  It occurs to me that streams (or basically lists) are a very strong paradigm in most social networking sites, and that might be a limiting concept. It's one of the things that I dislike about Facebook and G+...  if you have people who are (let's say) both personal friends and work acquaintances, you end up not having a way to see one or the other effectively.   Having streams for social media is as ubiquitous as the idea of a rectangular glossy black smart phone; no one seems to spend time imagining anything beyond that.

Josh Richau wrote:

[...]  As we designed these features, we considered a lot of what you are saying. Thus far, we fell to the side of trying to keep the streams using as simple of rules as possible for their display - what I mean by that is that we favored the stream having highly predictable behavior over making attempts to remove certain bits based on whether you have seen them.[...]

As surmised earlier by Bruce Hoppe and suggested by you, one approach is to simply filter out the items so that they don't appear again if you've seen it already.  Another approach might be to allow a kind of dimming on the items that have been seen so that they seem to be partially faded if they've been read before.  If I still want to look at it again, I could mouse over it and it could become momentarily undimmed.  Yet another approach would be to stack the streams like those old childhood toys with the beads -- like the image below, but at each "balcony" level, the holes become smaller, thereby filtering them in levels while still being able to see everything.  I would love a view that has my alerts at the top, then the list of inbox items, then the list of items matching certain tags, then a list of the followed content, and then petering out to the list of status updates from everywhere.

beads.jpg

The approach that I originally envisioned quite some time ago was kind of a "uni-flow" where everything was literally in one stream, but I could control what goes into the stream at a very granular level.  I could add tags that could cause exclusive OR inclusive behavior, filters for rules beyond tags, sorting rules, read/unread indicators, include or exclude groups, content types, and users, and give special precedence to items directed to me or at-mentioning me or being tracked by me.

User configuration would be very key to those last two ideas (the stacks or the uni-flow). This is all potentially a patentable design if done right; it could change how people view social content.  If you take these ideas seriously, I would like to be somehow a part of it.  I have other ideas about how threading should work also that would shake up the bland "there's only two ways" thinking that most people have today, which I won't touch on here because it's even further away from the original point of the discussion about having a good home landing page that people can start from everyday.

Josh Richau wrote:

[...]

I think what you will find with your custom streams is that the ability to contextualize the activity stream will make it feel like any duplicates you might see are perfectly OK. When you can take the stream and hone in on a set of groups focused around an initiative, project, or topic - you can think "now I am catching up on project x" and what you will find in the stream is all the activity related to that project. Again, if you had commented on a few of those items, you will see that somewhat redundant content, yet it will be in context which will make it feel like it should be there.

[...]

Josh -- I have to admit... I am struggling to understand how seeing redundant content will seem OK.  I guess I'm used to the mindset that wasted time needs to be eliminated.  Having to mentally filter and remember "oh yeah, I saw that already" is just another drag on my mental energy.  By going to something like the integrated approaches that I suggested above, there is no need to suffer the redundancy.

Let me point out another aspect of my workflow that might be part of the challenge that we're talking about here:  I'm one of the self-designated "hub" users in my community.  Any social graph of the data will probably support this point.  I consume and generate a ton of content in my community.  It's not my job to do this, it's just what I do.  Because I'm not just looking at my own Project X and Project Y every day, I'm looking at everyone else's Project Q and Project M and whatnot, plus social musings, tools complaints, debates between community members about the company's direction, etc, and because I've been there, I'm one of the ones who notices and points out trends, connects people to similar conversations or related topics that they didn't know about, inspires action, etc.  So the amount of data that is redundant in MY workflow is huge.  And if it were organized properly, I insist that I could maintain what I do on just 15min every day.  However, it is not. I waste more time switching back and forth between different views, skimming over things I've read already, and still missing more things that I could have seen if I had the patience to set up more tag widgets and such.  Here's the thing:  if you please and meet the needs of those top users that are generating most of the content and activity and pulling others along as they go, then you are making a dramatic impact on the entire community as a result.  I think also the lower engagement by the less active users is partly driven by the lack of a good means to see the content; if that were fixed, the engagement level even among less active users would go up as well, until it becomes as common as email, even replacing email in many cases.

Again good stuff - thanks for taking the time to respond.

You hit on a good point and another area where we spend time - how to accomodate someone like you (a power user) who will eb glad to take the time to tune their experience and understand how to best use it to be efficient and the casual user who just wants it to "work" and "be intuitive". At times these can be at odds. You are also correct to point out that supporting the "hubs" as you call them can have a dramatic effect on the whole community.

You have some great ideas in here - thanks again for sharing.

behoppe333

Thanks Andres Susarret. I like the uni-flow idea. I agree to a point whenJosh Richau says that this is for power users. My core Jive team has a personalized home page dream that basically translates to this: Key power users and site admins pre-fabricate a number of information channels, using something like "create your own activity stream" and Andres' "uni-flow" in the process. Each channel is designed with a specific set of users in mind. (E.g., here is a channel for HR, here is one for marketing, here is one for new hires, etc.) Then each non-power user would get certain channels by default, as well as the ability to add/drop channels, and hopefully also the ability to customize a channel if he/she wants to be a bit of a power-user and personalize the information on the home page.

My colleagues and I are more familiar with RSS than we are with Jive and activity streams. So we have framed our discussion using RSS. When we found slide 14 of this slideshare "Socializing Learning: Integrating Enterprise Learning with Social Business Software" we thought it captured this idea pretty well:

rss-dream.png

So, Josh, I would like a team of designated channel-creating power-users to sit in our Jive ecosystem and have all the power of Andres' uni-flow model to create streams that are made available to non-power users.

Andres, for what it's worth, when I discuss this in the language of RSS I often use Yahoo Pipes as an example of the kind of functionality I think you are getting at. This allows me to merge all kinds of feeds and perform filters, sorts, joins, etc., to produce a single output feed.

Bruce Hoppe -- yes, RSS a good model, though two potential limitations are:

1) less straightforward for replying to or commenting on the content, and

2)  in cases like ours where we have to deal with very strict information security requirements, outside tools for RSS won't work.  Only in-browser RSS capabilities work, after authenticating the web page first (which has to be reauthenticated in less than 24 hours).

AmandaS

Bruce – We have a number of people who want something similar in terms of pre-defined “custom” streams that suit a particular type of user.  That is mainly for ease/speed of onboarding new employees as well as ensuring that people in a particular organization are in the loop on the right topics (so that don’t have to go and configure things themselves).  Based on our user feedback I’m sure people would still want the ability to tweak things and have other streams.  I don’t see it as a “power user” feature so much as a feature for users who really work in the system vs. popping in every now and then.  The people who use the system to do work, want it to function in a way that is most optimal for them and that requires a level of personal control.

Personally, I think it's a great idea for average users to be able to leverage a "stream template" of sorts like what Bruce Hoppe as talking about.  After all, aren't we moving to the model where the community sort of takes care of itself to some degree?  If the community can mature to the point of people helping people in the expert forums, why not have some kinds of structures like customizable streams that the community can generate and re-use?

tmaurer

Definitely like the idea of being able to share a configured stream!

John Schwiller

I talked to Josh about this at last JW. Is the configured stream a centrally controlled definition or are there situations where you would want it to be a 'starter-for-ten' which each user could then amend, but disjoint from the original. Note 'starter-for-ten' is a phrase from UK TV 'University Challenge' - may not mean anything to anyone else

Perhaps there should be a badge for obscure references nobody ever gets Ryan Rutan ?

tmaurer

John, I'd say there are use cases to support both of those and more:

1. Centrally controlled
                                                                                                                                                                      1. Internal - corporate comms wants a stream that everyone is given so they can make sure specific communications are seen by everyone in the entire company.
                                                                                                                                                                      2. External - support team wants a stream that everyone is given so they can make sure that any important product notices, system downtime, etc. is seen by all customers.
                                                                                                                                                                    2. Starter controlled (i.e. controlled by the person who created it)
                                                                                                                                                                      1. Manager wants to make sure his team sees specific content from across the entire company, and wants to know that everyone has easy access to the same things.
                                                                                                                                                                      2. Group wants to be able to all be on the same page and sharing/seeing the same information
                                                                                                                                                                    3. User can ammend
                                                                                                                                                                      1. Onboarding - give people an idea of what a stream looks like, but then they can change it to suit their needs.
                                                                                                                                                                      2. Sharing "best practices" - I put together what I think is a great stream and want to share. You like it, but need to tweak for your specific role.
                                                                                                                                                Keeley Sorokti

I've never had the Personal Home Page (became a customer on Jive Cloud in June 2012) but this sounds like a feature that would be incredibly helpful! I'm spending a lot of time adding in directions and links to the spaces and groups that I know our users need. New users are having a difficult time orienting themselves and some are creating browser bookmarks outside of Jive to more easily find exactly which spaces and groups they need.

simon_medley@nexeninc.com

I've just recently been introduced to Jive and we are running a few pilots to prove the business benefit before we roll out to a wider community.

Even with the limited number of users, spaces and groups it is sometimes quite hard to keep the things I am personally interested in at the forefront - because Jive works best with active content which bubbles to the top I find that I am not able to quickly get to the content we want to keep around as reference.

In order to do that we rely on the owner of a group to post the documentation as featured content - which means I have to open the group to get there.

What would be really neat would be to have the ability to creat a "personal group" (or Home Page) that had access to most of the widgets that can be applied to a normal Group's page - that way I can create my own tag searches, list of my featured documents, people I want to keep in contact with etc. all in one place rather than having to navigate in to the appropriate areas . . .  Just a thought for your consideration.