6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 2:56 PM by mpallia

A blog by any other name?

jessekane

Has anyone done a system-wide name change to the Blog functionality? If so, what did you call it?

We are using blogs for company news articles, job postings, and classified ads, just to name a few. However, many of our users associate the word "blog"strictly with personal opinion posts. As a result, they can't process how blogs can meet many of their community's communications needs.

I should note this was not my idea. Someone somewhere mentioned they renamed the entire blog functionality to something else for similar reasons...

• Re: A blog by any other name?
          Brad.Fitzgerald

I have recently been thinking about this too.  I find that in my community, when people want to share something, they usually start a discussion or share a document.  Most of the time this content is best suited for a blog, but they don't seem to make the connection between what they want to do and the blog content types.

I was thinking of call them "News" but I would love to hear what people think around this topic.

lindsaymay

I see similar challenges at my organization. People are much more likely to use documents or discussions rather than blogs- even if it is more relevant for a blog post. We haven't deployed any global changes, but occasionally recommend adjusting widget titles in groups to help clarify what one should do with various content. "recent news" is what we use quite frequently.

Melissa.Rosen

In our old platform, we had changed the word blog to "news" because we thought the general population would not quite catch on to what a blog is. We are in the process of rolling out Jive (as a full replacement of our old platform), and we have kept the word blog intact. We are still in soft launch, and many have already discovered how to create their personal blog, so I think this is a good sign that we are "ready" to embrace the concept of blogging.