4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 3:37 PM by Dave Myers RSS

How can Jive help with employee retention?

Rob.Caldera

Employee retention is a serious issue at many companies these days, but especially at consulting firms (like mine). There are too many opportunities out there and turnover rate on the consulting side of the business can be pretty high. Ours is not too bad by industry standards but we want to do even better. We're still early on in our social business journey but I've been tasked with looking into ways that Spark (our Jive platform) can help with employee retention. And since employee retention is partially a result of employee engagement it's obviously a pretty big question that's not too easily quantifiable.

However, I'm wondering if anyone knows of specific measures done by HR or Comms or any other group to use social features/groups to help with a company's retention problem. If there are any success stories out there with measurable results, etc. Thanks.

• Re: How can Jive help with employee retention?
          JohnSchwiller

Assume you have a copy of    2011 - Customer Survey Data     https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-36587  

however it's in the Partner Community. Some relevant dimensions there.

I assume you run exit interviews and these should be a mine of potential inputs into new or refined use cases to reduce retention. Pulse surveys should also be telling you what employees feel. Are you getting Bain promoter scores for "would you recommend XYZ to your friends?"  

Rob.Caldera

Thanks for the info. We do run exit interviews and Pulse surveys. I don't know about Bain promoter scores. I'd have to check with our HR department. I was just looking at this issue from an Enterprise 2.0 perspective and how a workforce engaged socially on a platform like Jive would fair against non-socially engaged workforces when it comes to retention.

JohnSchwiller

Probably good to get Gia Lyons to comment here?

Our stratcon training suggested adding the "would you recommend.." question on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 was high, with 9 or 10 a Promoter, 1 to 6 a Detractor and 7 or 8 Neutral and then my notes get unclear about what your target ought to be.

As the platform 'gets going' you might start looking for any correlation between your leavers and their points and badges to see if the leavers have a lower average than those that stay but that will be a lagging indicator.

I wonder if any community managers or group owners seek out members with low participation and contribution levels for 'special attention' or if this is seen as too invasive?

We know that age demographic and seniority in the business and unwillingness to 'make a mistake' can be an issue, so we have been running reverse mentoring, on a very small scale, with that demographic. But it's hard to know what to say when the senior pastes their draft interview from Jive into Word and sends it back with track change when you asked them to make their edits in Jive      I had that happen twice.   

Dave Myers

Use Jive as a place where people can go to complain about work and have your leadership address those issues. I bet a bunch of your people leave, because they are unhappy with some condition at work, using Jive as a place to air out the dirty laundry so to speak, and allow leadership to acknowledge and address those issues, would be for motivating for knowledge workers to stay around. Just my two cents.