13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 10:34 AM by tmaurer

Jive 5: Track vs. Follow--Has anyone done this?

Brad.Fitzgerald

The whole Track vs. Follow issue has confused me ever since I started using Jive 5.  There has been much discussion about how to resolve this, but I have a radical and maybe simple option, but not sure of all the impacts.

What if we just remove the Track option in the UI?  This certainly would make the communication about "Following" MUCH MUCH easier, but I 'm not sure what I may lose by disabling/removing Track option.

Thoughts?

• Re: Jive 5: Track vs. Follow--Has anyone done this?
          Ted Hopton

I would strongly discourage this. You'll lose the capability to track things that you really need to keep up with. You only alternative then will be email notifications. It's painful adjusting, but Tracking is a useful and powerful feature.

1 person found this helpful
              nbussard

Brad, I completely share your sentiment. We are moving to Jive 5 in a couple of weeks, and I have spent a lot of time reviewing the options for making Track/Follow easier to explain. I believe I also looked at getting rid of Track, but rejected it for the reason Ted mentions. Instead, I requested a customization that I later realized maps pretty closely to the changes that Jive has made in version 6. Essentially Following and Tracking are both ways to get content into your stream, and having two streams allows you to prioritize critical content. However, they are presented really differently, with one being a button at the top of the page and one being a link in Actions (very wacky). In order to emphasize the relationship, we are making Tracking into a button and adding it next to Follow throughout the UI. The result is very similar to Jive 6 where there is one button with a dropdown for which stream it goes into (this was actually my preferred solution for Jive 5, but it required too much work).

Here are some screenshots:

Content page

Place page (we will swap the Track and Join buttons)

We're also adding text to the Inbox/Communications window using the Tracking language so users can hopefully make the connection more easily:

And last, we've added mouse-over text on the Follow and Track buttons saying "Activity will appear in your Activity Stream. Use this for 'nice-to-know'." and "Activity will appear in your Inbox. Use this for 'need-to-know'." This message is pretty much the gist of what we plan to tell people in our communications about how to use the two features.

Nikki

1 person found this helpful
                behoppe333

What is the difference between follow and track? I am new to Jive, receiving training on Jive 5, and I can't find any explanation that distinguishes these two. Thanks in advance for any pointers y'all can share.

nbussard

Clicking "Follow" puts activity in your Activity stream. Clicking "Track" puts activity in your Communications /Inbox* stream. You can do both if you like.

The idea seems to be that you would add less important information to the Activity stream and critical events to your Inbox/Communications stream. Then if you are short on time, you can just check your Inbox/Communications and save the Activity stream for browsing at a leisurely pace. A couple of other use cases: if you are a mobile user, you can put everything you want to read on mobile in your Inbox/Communications for easier browsing; and if you want a simple and clean way to control email notifications, you can receive email on everything in your inbox and turn the rest off.

*Jive 5 out of the box calls the stream Communications, but in the JC it's called Inbox.

behoppe333

Thanks, Nikki. That is clear and helpful.

That said, I am a little afraid of the first time I try to explain this distinction to a regular user. Reminds me of the time I tried to explain the difference between "place" and "space"--which was a futile exercise.

On this topic (deliver us from email questions) I am not only interested in getting the technology to do what we want with email, but also in having clear names, labels, and explanations so users don't have to unlearn too much English in exchange for weird Jive jargon.

John Schwiller

Do you mean 'group'? where Place is the generic term for Group and Space.

FWIW we are now trying to not use spaces unless it's absolutely necessary for permission reasons.

nbussard

Exactly! It actually doesn't really make sense, which makes it impossible to explain. This is why I requested the customization, since without it I would be completely at a loss as to how to talk about it. Obviously Jive knows this is an issue as well, since it is the biggest change (as far as I can see) between Jive 5 and Jive 6.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but it's worth noting that this explanation becomes even more difficult with the "Matters Most" option in the main activity stream. If you try to simplify communication to your users, you might be tempted to say that the Communications stream is the most relevant activity, while the Activity stream is the nice-to-know. But then they see that "Matters Most" is a filter in the Activity (nice-to-know) stream. So, which is more important, your "most relevant" activity or the activity that "matters most"? And wait, there's more...on the right side of the activity stream there is also a list of "recommendations." When I was trying to wrap my head around this the first time, it occurred to me that the branding of "What Matters" might have been intended ironically.

So, here's the other customization that we did that I forgot to mention. (Keep in mind that we haven't launched yet, and I haven't gotten a chance to get feedback from anyone, so there's no guarantee that this helps solve the problem. If anyone has feedback, please offer it.) We changed the "Matters Most" option to "Show Recommended" because it really is a recommendation engine, not necessarily what really matters most to you. Then we changed the Recommendations on the right side to "You Might Also Like," because as near as I can tell, Matters Most is recommendations of things you are already following and Recommendations is recommendations of things are not following but might want to. See screen shot below.

tmaurer

The language you chose on that is good. What I will say, though, is that I haven't even tried to explain "Matters Most" in any of the training sessions I do. I haven't personally found the use case that it supports, so hard for me to discuss with any level of confidence. We upgraded in April, and I think I've had three people ask me about Matters Most. I show people the Recommendations and explain how to use it. But I can't say I expect a lot of people use the recommendations, and no one has ever asked me a question about it. Haven't even had Corporate Comms ask for a way to get content into recommendations. 

John Schwiller

BTW it's Inbox in 6.0 too, although of course it still has 'out' comms as well. So still a bit of language re-training needed :)