1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 2:15 PM by John Schwiller

The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ryan Rutan

The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is your magic number, and how does research like this play into your decisions for designing compelling user experiences?  Just thought I'd ask =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two

Shared with Jive Anywhere

• Re: The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          John Schwiller

Not really a UX issue but I have for years tried to fit everything into '3'.

For example if someone on my team asks a question I'd like them to propose 3 answers / options to me. I always say that if they can't think of three options they aren't thinking about it 'enough', and if they come up with 5 or more options then they are thinking too deeply and I look to group some of those options together as nuances of a broader option.

So for example, when we had all the Follow & Tracking problems a year ago, and back again now, my categorisation was that content fell into:

- I'm not interested in it

- I'm vaguely interested in it

- I'm very interested in it.

I can quickly pigeon hole stuff into one of three boxes, but if the number of boxes increases much my ability to quickly deal stuff out slows.

I hadn't seen the article before and code it a 'vaguely interested'