6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 8:41 AM by ignacio

Deployment best practice for Jive apps?

ignacio

Hi!

I'm new to Jive app development and have built my first simple apps in the developer sandbox on https://apps-onprem.jivesoftware.com/. As I'm moving towards a more professional approach, I would be very grateful for some best practices with regard to the final deployment of Jive apps:

1. If there is no server-side script, i.e. the app really just consists of HTML, Javascript and CSS files also found in the intro examples, is there a possibility of hosting the final app with Jive, e.g. on https://apps-onprem.jivesoftware.com/?
      2. If the final app cannot be hosted with Jive, does it suffice to just have the HTML, Javascript and CSS files lying on some server and just copying the app.xml URL into the app console?
      3. If not, what else needs to be done?
      4. If there is server-side script, how would deployment usually work then?

My apologies for the newbie questions but I'd highly appreciate a reply. Thanks a lot and all the best,

Ignacio

• Re: Deployment best practice for Jive apps?

Technically, everything except the app.xml can reside on your infrastructure. You simply point the href of the view to your home server. When the app is submitted, we'll version the app.xml and create a market listing. However, everything else can be under your control.

If you have a server side script, then you need to provide a "home server". This business logic is typically invoked with a signed fetch REST call to your home server. You are not able to deploy any code/scripts into the Jive instance outside of the app framework.

Hope this helps!

ignacio

Dear Mark,

thanks a lot for this. Two follow-up questions if I may:

(1) If I'm using the Dev Console app for internal apps in JiveOn communities, I

understand there won't be an official approval process. Can I then just paste

the app.xml URL (e.g., www.ignacio.com/app.xml) into the Dev Console or does

this app.xml have to reside somewhere on Jive infrastructure?

(2) If my app only consists of the html, css and js files in the standard folder

structure - would I be able to host the final app on Jive infrastructure?

Thanks a lot again and all the best,

Ignacio

On 18 September 2012 at 02:55 Mark Weitzel

(1) If I'm using the Dev Console app for internal apps in JiveOn communities, I

understand there won't be an official approval process. Can I then just paste

the app.xml URL (e.g., www.ignacio.com/app.xml) into the Dev Console or does

this app.xml have to reside somewhere on Jive infrastructure?

>> Yes

(2) If my app only consists of the html, css and js files in the standard folder

structure - would I be able to host the final app on Jive infrastructure?

>> Yes.

ignacio

Great, thanks a lot for this - and my apologies for the late reply!

Re (1): I assume by "yes" you mean that I can just paste the external app.xml URL (e.g., www.ignacio.com/app.xml) into the Dev Console, right?

Re (2): Would you mind telling me how that works? How can I push my the files from the sandbox onto this production infrastructure? And I assume this would be only accessible by me?

Thanks so much again! Best, Ignacio

Re, #2: This is available if you do an app submission via the market. If you are doing an app for just your own community, then you'll want to find a place to host your files.