10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 2:57 PM by olivia.teich

Why do your drafts, not appear under your content in your profile?

mrowbory

A number of users have spent ages trying to track down content that they created as 'draft'.

Logic and common sense dictates that this should appear under your content on your profile page, but instead it appears on the main site content tab.

Is this a regression error? Has the 'drafts' option simply been missed from the your content page? Has it been fixed to make sense in 6 EAP?

• Re: Why do your drafts, not appear under your content in your profile?
          tmaurer

Someone from Jive did actually answer this question on an idea that was posted to change the way this functionality works. Add "Drafts" under Content Section in User Profile. Hope that helps.

mrowbory

Ah, thanks!

I voted it up, not sure it will make any difference. Quite frankly I really don't think Jive's logic makes any sense on this one - under no circumstance can I, or anyone else, agree that 'your drafts' should appear on 'all content' and not 'your profile'.  If it has to exist on the all content view, it should /also/ exist on your profile.

If people are comfortable creating content in private groups and knowing that others can't see the content, then it's pretty easy to grasp that others can't see your drafts.

Chrisbrenschmidt

I agree as well. It is inconsistent not to put it in the profile. I can go to another user's profile to find their content, but I have to go to browse to find all of my own? That doesn't really make sense. I think that was said in that thread or another related one. I'm hoping Jive listens about this one.

ryanvdz

Hello Martin,

I agree that it's odd not to surface your Draft content in the Content portion of your own profile, and we'll be working to ensure it appears there in a future release.

One thing that may be worth pointing out here. The "all" content page you refer to (the default top-level browse pages are Content, People and Places) were intended to be the singular place a user would need to go when looking for a piece of content, whether your own or someone else's. It was with that intent that the page includes not only All Content, but also content you've authored, participated in, or haven't yet published (drafts). In a similar vein, the same is true of People and Places, you can use that portion of the application to browse all, or get to what you're following / what you're a member of, etc. With that in mind, the intent for a user's profile was to accurately represent what your profile looks like to others visiting it, where showing the Drafts tab could cause concern/confusion. We wanted to pull the things that are "yours" in the application more to the foreground so users didn't have to do as much hunting and pecking.

That said, it's clear that the intent isn't matching what users are expecting, especially with regards to the expectation of seeing their own drafts in their profile.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chrisbrenschmidt

Thanks for the response, Ryan.

I understand how the browse is meant to work, but having talked to lots of users and observed usability testing, the normal user isn't understanding that. I think there is a lot of value in offering it in two places as the browse content menu looks very very similar to the menu under one's profile.

tmaurer

Really thorough and helpful explanation, Ryan. Thanks!!

mrowbory

Hmm,  I see what you're saying, although I think I disagree with the logic. I suppose the confounding issue is that the intent is not explained anywhere on the site. 

At the very least it would have been nice to have a message like 'this is your profile, use the top level content page to view items you've authored, are participating in and to find your drafts'.

Also from an interface perspective I don't think it is at all consistent.  I have to go to someone else's profile to find their content, but a completely different place to find my own content?  I can't see other peoples content from the browse all page, and I can't see my content from my profile page...

I have to say, there are quite a few things in Jive like this; some unexplained intent is imposed on everyone regardless of the obvious contradictions to logic and consistency. Not even Apple are as bad, and they are well known for their 'we have decided it will work this way and refuse to even conceive that anyone could possibly want to use it in a different way' attitude.

It's problems like this which cause huge hurdles for us to overcome when trying to increase adoption across a large enterprise where most users are not advanced, and expect things to work in an obvious way.

I guess it's a balancing act though, in some places there are so many subtly different ways of doing the same thing that it also becomes a mission to explain to people how to use it!

Keep up the good work and thanks for the update though!

tmaurer

Or seeing private or secret content in a widget and realizing that your widget will display different content than the widget of your neighbor, based on what you have permissions to see. I would agree.