8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 9:48 AM by mavital

Compare & contrast: Jive for Outlook, Outlook Connect, Social Connector for Outlook

behoppe333

Some of our users are struggling to connect Jive and Outlook. In order to help them, I am trying to understand what each of the following mean. I appreciate your clarifying comments

• Jive for Outlook: this is what I personally have running on my PC (Jive for Outlook client version 1.3). I am not sure exactly how I found it or installed it though. Is there a reliable source? I want to make installing Jive for Outlook part of our adoption campaign.
      • Outlook Connect: there are references to this throughout JC. My hunch is that this is vernacular for "Jive for Outlook"; yes?
      • Social Connector for Outlook: this looks like an official Microsoft product. What does it have to do with Jive? E.g., how do I interpret https://community.jivesoftware.com/ideas/1543

Related to this, I'd appreciate clarification about connecting Jive and Office:

• Jive Connects for Microsoft Office: this is what I personally have running on my PC (Version 1.7.5). Is there a reliable source for this that I can include in our adoption campaign?
      • Jive for Office: Looks like vernacular for "Jive Connects for Microsoft Office"; yes?
      • Office Connect: more vernacular for "Jive Connects for Microsoft Office"; yes?
      • Social Connector for Office: thankfully I cannot find any use of this term
        • Re: Compare & contrast: Jive for Outlook, Outlook Connect, Social Connector for Outlook
          mpallia

Bruce, I'd suggest Mor Avital.  She's been awesome helping us get these into our environment.

• Re: Compare & contrast: Jive for Outlook, Outlook Connect, Social Connector for Outlook
            nbussard

For the "reliable source," you can find this under your profile>tools. Luckily, the url for this is the same for everyone in your community, so for you adoption campaign, you can provide the direct link.

The Social Connector for Outlook is an MS product that has a lot of overlap with the Jive Connector. It shows your other social profiles like Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. Last time I checked, this conflicts with the Jive Connector and must be disabled in order to install this. You will likely want to do this in your PC image to avoid the need for giving instructions to individuals for the same.

1 person found this helpful
              mavital

I'm a little late to the party so I apologize if this has all be answered before, but I figured (as Mike Pallia brought it to my attention and said such nice thing) I would respond as well.

Jive for Outlook

• Yes, Jive for Outlook is what you most likely found through the Tools page on your profile, or through one of the links that float around the Jive Community. You can use it to connect to this Jive Community, or if you have bought the license then you can use it for your own company's instance as well.
              • Outlook Connector is the old name, we now use Jive for Outlook (and Jive for Office, respectively)
              • Social Connector for Outlook is a MS product. I think the idea you linked to is in reference to the fact that the existing version of the Jive for Outlook plugin has conflicts with the Social Connector plugin. This has been fixed in the new version of Jive for Office that is currently in beta.

Jive for Office

• Jive Connects for MS Office - if you have it running on your machine then presumably your company has bought a license and is working with it. You should have both the server and client plugins in your instance. If I'm misunderstanding, please let me know.
              • Jive for Office - yup, new name for the above
              • Office Connect - yup, yet another way to say the same thing. Which is why we stuck with Jive for Office and Jive for Outlook ultimately, easiest to rememebr
              • Social Connector for Office - thankfully, one does not exist If it did, it would be a MS product

Hope that helped, please let me know if you have any other questions.