11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 2:42 PM by davidroe

Dev Console: Publish to your community?

dfilip

I have a development instance of Jive SBS 5 that I've built to test writing some apps.  I've developed several apps, and have used the Dev Console to add those apps to my App Dashboard for testing, and that has been successful.

The App Dashboard has an option to 'Publish to your community' (from the gear drop-down next to each app).  I have two questions about that:

1. When I select 'Publish to your community', I am given a list of a lot of "communities" to publish to, including lots of IP addresses, IPs and host names on port 8080, and except for one I don't recognize the host names or IPs.  Where do those come from?  Is this every development instance of SBS ever built?  Is there any way to edit this list?  For example, I see my old, original hostname there on port 8080, but would like to clean that up with the FQDN behind a proxy that I'm currently using.

2. After I selected the one name that I do recognize in the "communities" list -- which is the original name of my machine, without any domain, on port 8080 -- I am able to successfully publish my app.  When a user on my Jive instance clicks '+' to add an app to their dashboard from the Jive market, my apps are now there.  However, what is the "community" that can now see my app?  Is is just users on my particular Jive instance?  Is it every user of every Jive development instance ever built?  If so, can I lock it down to just users of my particular Jive instance?

3. I do see a lot of other "stuff" in the Jive Apps market on my developer Jive instance, many instances of the 'Hello World' app, lots of other tests and junk, but very little real Jive apps.  Are those just apps that other random developers have created and gone through the same process that I have (e.g., selected Publish to your community from the Dev Console)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback to help me understand what I am seeing with regards to "communities", and the scope of what 'Publish to community' really means.

Thanks,

Dave.

• Re: Dev Console: Publish to your community?

Hi Dave,

1. The Dev Console app is designed to work within a production Jive instance, allowing you to publish to Jive instances that you identify with. To allow cross-instance publication, the Dev Console app will list out all instances that use the same license key, generally one production instance and any additional UAT instances. To clarify whether your environment is correct, please send us the value of your jive.appsmarket.id by opening the Admin Console and selecting System Properties.

2. Only users of the particular Jive instance you selected to publish to have any visibility on your app.

3. I will be able to provide more information using your jive.appsmarket.id, but you should be seeing a market catalog showing a combination of apps from our partners alongside apps that users of your community have published.

I hope to provide you with more detailed information once you have sent in your appsmarket.id.

dfilip

jive.appsmarket.id  =  1f61e7af-52bf-43a9-bf98-4dde7da1b0f2

So since I received the license key for building a developer SBS 5 instance from my client -- whom I am developing apps for -- perhaps this particular App Market is just shared by anyone else who used the same developer license key to build a development instance?

So am I correct in understanding that apps that are 'Publish[ed] to your community' through the Dev Console can only be downloaded by Jive instances that share the same license key, but that Jive Software's partners will also publish their apps to all communities?

While it is not yet clear how you have arrived at the particular configuration you have, what I can see is that your Apps Market settings are pointing to one of our staging environments. To rectify this situation, I recommend you perform the following:

1. In the Jive Apps Market, uninstall all apps via Manage Your Apps
                  2. From System Properties within the Admin Console, delete the variables jive.appsmarket.id and jive.appsmarket.uri
                  3. Restart your Jive instance
                  4. Reinstall the Dev Console
                  5. Reregister any Jive Apps that you are developing
                  6. Republish your app to your community

Please let me know whether this resolves your issues.

In answer to your other question, when you publish your Jive App, you are presented with a list of environments that share the same license key. Only the Jive instance(s) that you select will have any visibility onto your published app, whereas partner apps are visible in the market catalog available within all Jive instances.

dfilip

Thanks David!  I will give that a try.  However, I'm wondering if this is somehow related to my initial build "problem" in that I have Market/Gateway Verification status failures, as I reported a long time ago here:

App Dashboard Config Problem

but was never resolved.  Would that be related to pointing to your staging environment?

I think the definitive answer will be whether those problems are still apparent after you are pointing at our production environment. In terms of hardware and network setup, there should be little real difference between that and staging, with the real differences represented only by data.

dfilip

Thanks David!  Just to confirm -- before I make the change -- is whether a development instance, which I am using to develop apps and widgets -- should be pointing to your production Jive Apps Market.

When I built my Jive SBS 5 instance, I remember it asking me if this was development or production, and I believe if it was internal or external.  I replied internal and development.  I was never really sure what those questions meant in terms of how the instance was built and configured.

Since this is a development instance, I just want to make sure that I'm not breaking any rules by pointing to the production App Market.

The responses to those setup questions generally tend to govern caching and file concatenation within the Jive instance, so you were right to select those options. Our Apps Market staging environment is used purely for testing internally within Jive. The correct setup is for all Jive instances to point at the production Apps Market.

dfilip

OK, I have deleted the jive.appsmarket.id, restarted the server, and now the value is:

jive.appsmarket.id  =  b60d4268-9336-4dac-b0cb-59f5f43b9ff9

However, I still see what look like mostly a bunch of test apps.  Am I still pointing to one of your staging servers?

The Market/Gateway verification status is still 'failed' with a 'connection reset', just like before.

BTW - I did not previously have -- and still do not have -- a setting for jive.appsmarket.url -- so if I should have a value for that, what should it be?

Your instance has again re-registered with the staging environment. Can you confirm that there is no variable present named jive.appsmarket.uri - please note that this is "uri", not "url".

If that variable is not present, are you able to query the underlying database for your Jive instance? If you are able to run this query:

SELECT * FROM jiveproperty WHERE name LIKE 'jive.appsmarket%';

then please paste the output here.

dfilip

David,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have no idea why or how my SBS 5 instances it is pointing to your staging App Market.  I just built my instance using the settings file and instructions I was provided.  If you can provide me a with private e-mail address, I can send you the settings.xml file that I used.

I can also confirm that there is no jive.appsmarket.url or jive.appsmarket.uri property defined:

ColorNetJive=# select * from jiveproperty where name like 'jive.appsmarket%';

name                 |              propvalue

-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------

jive.appsmarket.id                  | b60d4268-9336-4dac-b0cb-59f5f43b9ff9

jive.appsmarket.push.last.run       | 1350762276593

jive.appsmarket.poll.events.last.id | 432015

jive.appsmarket.poll.last.run.end   | 1350826237000

jive.appsmarket.poll.last.run.start | 1350826236468

jive.appsmarket.push.last.run.start | 1350826716468

jive.appsmarket.push.last.run.end   | 1350826716531

(7 rows)

Also, if you can provide a private e-mail address, I can provide you with the admin password of my instance, so that you can take a look yourself, if you think that might help.  I just don't want to provide my settings.xml (which contains repository username and password) or my servers admin password in a public forum.

Thanks,

Dave Filip

dfilip@colornet.com