11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 6:15 AM by mnevill

Jive 5 user training 101: what to say about search?

behoppe333

In advance of our Nov 5 social intranet launch, next week we are training community advocates on how to use Jive 5. Most of these people have not seen Jive before, but they are familiar with a Joomla-based employee-only community that we are migrating to be part of new Jive site.

I have a sense that the Jive 5 search bar does more than your average community search bar, and that we should give trainees at least a small experience of this even in their very first hour of hands-on Jive training.

Any suggestions on how to present the Jive 5 search bar in this setting?

Thanks!

PS: More context

• Re: Jive 5 user training 101: what to say about search?
          tmaurer

Hi Bruce,

The two-pronged focus I would recommend would be to make sure people understand how to use spotlight search (pausing and waiting for search results) rather than automatically hitting the enter key. And that you stress using Browse as an alternative to search in some situations. Browse is great for things like, “I know I saw a blog post last week written by Suzy,” or “Gee, I’m sure I saw a discussion somewhere about disaster preparedness for our Sacramento office”.

Ted Hopton

Echoing Tracy, I explained it this way to hopefully make it memorable:

• spotlight search is like pulling the lever on a slot machine and hoping you get lucky. You get 5 results for content, people and places. If what you want is there, great! If not, you can change the search terms and it updates on the fly.
              • Browse is a boring name for a super-duper search filter tool. Just like spotlight search bar, you get results in real-time as you type (if you pause slightly), but you also get lots of useful filters to select from and far more results are displayed. It's the best way to find anything if you don't hit the jackpot in spotlight search.
                  behoppe333

Thanks Tracy and Ted. I am glad I asked! Now I have a clear understanding of the difference between "spotlight search" and regular search (which I guess Jive calls browse) -- this will really help training next week.

On a little tangent,

• IMO Jive has redefined "browse page" by using it to mean "page of search results with tabs and filters"; this is frustrating to people (like me) who say "browse" to mean "explore the Web (or a site) by clicking on hyperlinks"
                  • This fits with my general impression that Jive is oriented towards search at the expense of link-clicking navigability. I suppose this is a corollary to Jive being oriented to groups at the expense of hierarchical folders. Just thinking out loud...
                      tmaurer

I understand how the lack of hierarchy can be frustrating, but I promise you will come to understand that it really can work better without hierarchy. I started out in your boat, but then after watching how people actually interacted with the system (watching, as opposed to directing them or teaching them), I saw that most people used search and not links. And that if they can search within a particular place, that is really powerful. So then if instead of loading a place full of related content you break it out into a whole bunch of hierarchical locations, it is harder to locate. PLUS, not everyone thinks along the same lines in terms of hierarchy - either with relation to what should be underneath what, but also the actual words that are used. Once people understand how categories work within a place, and start to use the system, it is easier to understand why the method Jive has chosen works well.

Going back to the days when I relied on shared drives, I can tell you I REALLY found it hard to find things for the exact reasons I stated above - deep nesting and terms that I just didn't get. 

Ted Hopton

Yes, Bruce, but don't confuse the Browse pages with the full Search results page, which is a 3rd option. We do NOT push people to the full search results page (you get there by hitting Enter on your spotlight search).

Good news is that Jive recognizes this is confusing and is working toward a true consolidation of browse and search.