24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2007 5:02 PM by Nebulous

Still can't launch the standalone

See my previous thread from the beta version at:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=17556

I've now installed the 1.0 standalone and nothing has improved. I launch the program, get a brief Java informational message in a DOS window, and that's it. If I try to start the server I get 404.

Please help if you can!

jb

• Re: Still can't launch the standalone
          Kevin Williams

From your thread, I assume you are running on Windows?  What version?  Would you attach a screenshot of your add remove programs?  I have noticed weird things happen w/ different versions of Java, and want to see everything you have java related installed.

Also, would you include the full contents of the java information message in your dos window?

Not sure whether I can include an in-line graphic in an email reply, so

I'm trying it here. Following is a screenshot of the Java-related

entries in add/remove programs:

The DOS screen seems to have changed. Before (even yesterday, I'm pretty

sure), the window opened up and displayed the following, then

disappeared:

"This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE or later. It

can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and installing a compatibility

package from the Apache Tomcat binary download page."

However, I don't get that anymore. Instead, I get one or two DOS windows

that flash on my screen so quickly that I can't tell what they say and

I'm not even sure if I'm seeing one or two windows. They are quicker

than I can capture, too. Except that I managed to capture at least part

of one of them after several tries. Here it is:

Finally, the output of my "java -version" command is:

java version "1.5.0_11"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

After I send this message, if I see that the screenshots didn't make it,

I'll figure out another way to send them.

jb

I am also having issues installing the standalone version.

I unzipped the file to my C:\ drive and then went about stating the bat file. Nothing happened when I went to localhost:8080. All I get is a 404 error.

Windows Version: Windows Server 2003

JAVA: JDK 1.5.11

Many thanks to Kevin's dedication in helping me correct this issue.

As Kevin said, I had two JAVA_HOME variables (one USER, the other SYSTEM) and they were set differently. The USER variable was correct, but only the SYSTEM variable matters here.

If you encounter this problem in Windows XP (and probably other versions):

(1) Open your Control Panel

(2) Open the System Control Panel

(3) Click the Advanced tab

(4) Click the Environment Variables button near the bottom left

(5) Remove any JAVA_HOME variable in the User Variables section at the top

(6) Confirm that JAVA_HOME is defined in the System Variables section

and that its definition points to the path where your most current

java.exe resides (e.g., "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_11" is the

default for Java 5.0 build 11)

Thanks again, Kevin!

jb

I'm also unable to get the install for the standalone version to complete - on Windows XP SP2.  I've read this thread and set up the apparently required JAVA_HOME variable as required, so far as I can tell.  When I execute the batch file "start-clearspace" I get the following in the cmd window:

+Microsoft Windows XP

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\clearspace>start-clearspace

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly

This environment variable is needed to run this program

NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE+

Which is interesting, as the path IS for the JDK instance of java.exe.  Any ideas?  I've already spent more time trying to get the install to work than I can justify.  Seems like the install procedure and documentation need some work.  I'm probably missing something obvious, but the procedure described didn't even come close to working for my configuration and gave few clues for troubleshooting.

Thanks.  Looks like a great conceptual architecture, but I have limited time to check out functionality.

hi Jim,

Could you take a screenshot (ALT-Print Screen) of the system environment variables applet window (mine is attached so you know what I'm talking about) and then attach it to this thread?

A couple of questions:

• How are you setting the JAVA_HOME environment variable?

• What is the exact path you're using for JAVA_HOME? Note, that your

path should be something like c:\jdk1.5 not c:\jdk1.5\bin.

Regards,

--Bill

There seems to be a significant delay in mail processing on this blog at

Clearspace.

Note my post that is marked as "Posted: Feb 20, 2007 5:02 PM" where I

started with the words "No ideas except the resolution in my post."

I actually mailed that reply on Monday 02/19/2007 at 1:05pm (Eastern

Time).

Just thought I'd point that out in case it's something you all need to

work on.

jb

Jim:

No ideas except the resolution in my post. Your symptom is exactly what

I experienced. Please ensure that you set up the environment variable in

the SYSTEM section rather than the USER section. Tomcat (or Clearspace,

I'm not sure which) is reading the system variable.

Open your control panel, open the System control panel, click the

Advanced tab, and then click the Environment Variables button. Remove

any JAVA_HOME that is defined in the top section (which is User

Variable) and add it to the bottom section (System variables). Make sure

the path is set correctly to the root level of the folder in which your

version 5 java.exe resides.

Incidentally, Java 5 is also referred to as Java 1.5.0, so don't let it

confuse you.

jb