3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2007 10:11 AM by Kevin Williams

Outline numbering

Is the numbering function in the rtf editor intended to be an outline function?

When indenting, the function correctly sets number of newly indented line to "1"; however, when out-denting, the function removes numbering entirely instead of incrementing from the previous line at that level.

This means that I cannot make a paragraph 2.1 following paragraph 1.3.  When out-denting, the editor sets the numbering back to 1.  Is there a way to make that 1 a 2?

• Re: Outline numbering
          Kevin Williams

I have attached a screenshot showing the behavior that I believe you are wanting?

What browser are you using?  I did this in Firefox by simply using the number button and the indent and outdent function.

• Re: Outline numbering

Kevin - I went back to reproduce my experience and found that from a fresh, blank, wiki document, the numbering function behaves as expected (and illustrated in your screenshot).

Where it broke down for me was when I had pasted some outline numbered text from a Word document and then attempted to use the numbering tool (in an area of the document outside of the Word-numbered text).  The Wiki editor does not recognize the Word outlining, yet something about the Word paste confused the Wiki numbering function.  I was able to re-produce the behavior of an out-dent restarting the numbering; however, it appears to be a phenomenon specific what I was trying to do.

So putting my original question aside as a user-specific issue (mine, that is), let me rephrase and ask if pasting Word-outlined text will be supported?  Presently, pasting outlined text from Word 'flattens' the text, both eliminating soft returns (SHFT-ENTER's) and eliminating all paragraph indenting.